ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear axle spindle question ??

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I clipped a curb and bent the rear spindle on my rally car on the weekend , I have a few spare ones here , but they are different to the ones fitted onto my car , the bases of them are thicker , does anyone know why there is a difference ?

When I first had the race car , it had the thinner base spindles fitted with shims behind them , I didn't like the way it drove the way it was set up , and the first rally I did a wheel bearing collapsed taking out the spindle , the donor car I bought which was a 52 reg car , had the thicker based spindles on them so I changed both sides as they will obviously widen the track and left all the shims out , I have an axle off a PH1 car here but these have the thinner spindles on ??

Here is a pic showing the difference

fb4727e5.jpg

So does anyone know why there is a difference , or what part number the thicker ones are ?

Or anyone have any used ones

Cheers Ian

Renault clio mk2
because I have made the conversion(from drums to discs) - I haven't change the entire axle but only the stubs, handbrake lines,etc.I remember having a conversation with my mechanic regarding the stubs and if are the same in drum and discs axle(which aparently not, as the discs need extra space because of the caliper base-that why the stub that is used in discs axle is longer).I am almost sure that the thinner stub is been taken from a car with drums.that's why you found shims behind them, the previous guy(or the mechanic) needed to create more space between the caliper base and the stub to fit the disc correctly.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
No when I bought my car it had the thinner stubs fitted , the thicker ones are from the 52 plate donor can I bought

I had a to get some new stub axle's pronto the other month and fit a set from a 172 cup, they are the thinner one's as the wheel's fitted to those cars are of a lower offset. The 182 one's that I removed (Damaged) were 18mm thick at the bottom. Ian have you noticed any other difference with the part other than the thickness at the bottom? I have only had the 172 cup items fitted for Llandow and already have a knackered bearing so I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it! If the one's you are wanting are 18mm thick then they are from a 182, last time I checked they were on backorder. The reg for my car was YD04 PZM if you need a reg for Renault although I know a few people had some for sale on here when I needed them

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Hi
No apart from the base being thicker they are identical , if they are 182 ones its weird that they were on the bog standard 172 I bought ??

I'll try the local dealer to see if they are still on back order , if I don't get anywhere i'll make up some spacers to space off the thinner stubs so at least my wheels will be in the same place in the arch as it did have wheel spacers when I bought it and don't want to go back to using them
Cheers Ian

182cup & 172 racecar
Yes they are the 182 or 182 cup packed ones, we found this out when changing our stuff over the winter, didn't really notice until I put them side by side.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I also have a set of the thinner stubs from a 172 cup. Racers (ph2 at least) as std ran the wider stub.

rearbeam.jpg

Could the previous owner have swapped them out if using lesser offset rims than the originally intended 48.5mil to give correct track width?

Unsure if the ph1 parts listing is a different p/n-my ph1 manual has no part refs :(

Last edited:
Hi
No apart from the base being thicker they are identical , if they are 182 ones its weird that they were on the bog standard 172 I bought ??

I'll try the local dealer to see if they are still on back order , if I don't get anywhere i'll make up some spacers to space off the thinner stubs so at least my wheels will be in the same place in the arch as it did have wheel spacers when I bought it and don't want to go back to using them
Cheers Ian
If you get stuck Ian and can't wait for Renault then I have got one good one that you can have until Renault can get you sorted (Didn't know if you need one or two)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Hi
Renault have 2 available but they want £170 + vat each for them lol , I have seen a few on ebay for £30-£40 so will speak to these today and as long as they don't have any marks on them i'll buy a few of them , it's too easy to clip a wheel and bend one on a rally to spend £170 on them !

I'm ok for time as I'm not rallying again till the end of July but thanks for the offer.

I'll buy a few of them and keep them in my spares to take on rallies with me so if I bend one on a rally I can change it in service

Cheers Ian

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Blast from the past but does anyone happen to know what the thickness of the bases are?

I want to know for a lathe effort of decreasing trackwidth (because of wide wheels with too low offset)

Cheers!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
aha, thanks mate, missed that....

So seeing the last pic the thin ones are 5mm thinner they would be 13mm...

CS2 PH1, Pug S16,
I have clio ph1, after gettin in to he pit, my rear wheel change the angle. :(
I have the spindle from 182, and it slightly deformed too, i want to made the new one in machine shop.

Am i right, the difference between spindle ph1 and 182 is base thinkness? ph1 = 13 mm, 182 = 18 mm?
I want to made base 23 mm, for wider track without using axel spacers.

And what is the axel bearing lenghts, because the my spindel have big curve.