ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear brake help.

I need new rear brakes on my car, a 2001 phase 1 172.

George wants £101 for discs and pads
GSF want around £130
Genuine ones at the moment £110 from Fred.

Being a tight arse though and having spent so much on my car already this month I'm looking on ebay and there's seems to be so many options for rear brakes.

Some are listed with bearings and abs rings (which I want), others with one or the other. Some are only listed as fitting from 06/2002 (was there a change in the rear brakes?) and some don't say what they have.

I'm leaning towards these ones at the moment, anyone confirm they will fit a 2001 172?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220455558...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1257wt_904

Thanks

PB Clio 172
I would avoid e bay when it comes to something as safe as brakes but that's up to u

Best to get the rings as I found out yesterday my old rings did not fit my new discs on the rears!

PB Clio 172
I wouldn't say so just make sure u get a well known make. You don't want chepo wheel bearings that won't last that's the thing

clio
I will suggest that do not go for cheap if you go for cheap so you will have to pay twice because it will not run long so also not trust on e bay and search the quality.

I think some of them are 44 teeth? I was wondering if that was the change in 2002.

Heading towards genuine Renault at the mo, hate having to send stuff back, wait for the right things to arrive.

Now Sold :-(
The eBay disks will be fine for the rear. They hardly do any braking anyway.
The bearings on the other hand will be made of chocolate and you will be replacing them in less than a year.
As said before countless times genuine renault are the best VFM in the long term.

Ph2 172
Really just got some mintex discs.... already had a problem with the brembo's. Can't win

Yes mate. Swap your rings from the standard discs and you'll be fine. I heated them up a little bit then tapped around the outside with a sharp flat bladed screwdriver to gently loosen the rings, they should prise off quite easily

PB Clio 172
Wasn't fine my old abs rings were too big for the brembo's This problem is all sorted now got some different discs coming

Lionel Richie
and the genuine ones have warranty, just saying (but only if fitted by a qualified mechanic, proof required, not your dad's mate Bob)

I was planning on fitting them myself tbh Fred. Noticed a crack in one of mine so I'm loathed to drive it anywhere, even to Micks which is only a mile up the road.

This is the reason I want to make sure I buy the right ones first time as I don't want to be without the car for too much longer.

iceberg phase 2 172
My Mintex had 4 teeth too many on the ABS rings which lead to intermittent brake failure. Others have had this problem also.
my mintex also had this , 48 teeth instead of 44 causing the abs to kick in at random times , swapped the abs rings and all good :)

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
I bought mintex rear brakes from eBay it had 4 extra teeth on the abs ring and stopped my brakes working at over 30mph ish as im guesing te wheel speed sensor was confused! quite dangerous really as coming to a junction with no brakes isn't ideal!
apprently mintex changed suppliers and quality control missed the fact it had the wrong abs ring fitted!
Also you get told that your servo is broke so its replaced, then they say you've got a leak somewhere and you get charged labour for looking at your brake lines!!!
its probably cheaper in the end to go to a proper company!

PB Clio 172
Some mintex discs came with too many teeth prob the likes u buy off e bay but not all mintex discs have this fault

iceberg phase 2 172
Yeah but the issues affected all Mintex discs, no matter what the supplier so buying from Ebay is still no different?
yeah it was a problem with mintex , not the supllier on ebay , the seller on ebay refunded me 10 pounds which he then claimed from mintex as they messed up all the stock , just keep your old abs rings and swap them over

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
The problem with eBay is that most of it is fake tat from china.
i just don't want anyone experiencing what I went through. It could have caused a crash.
in this case it wasn't due to eBay it was the manufacturer but I still wonder how they can sell something at half the price

I got my Mintex from G172 that had incorrect ABS teeth on so it can happen to any company/person (I don't blame G172 for that since it was Mintex's fault) but I didn't have any issues like you describe when I had the wrong ABS ring on. All that happened was the light came on to tell me that the ABS had a fault and it wasn't active, they still functioned how they should. Maybe that's a difference in how it works between the phase 1 and 2 Clio?

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
I had no abs lights on my car the problem was I replaced an abs sensor new brakes all belts and pullys and a new exhaust so wasn't sure of what it was at first! I thought something might have been broken during replacing the parts,
and like I said I didn't realise I had no brakes until I put my foot down.
litrally could not press the brake it was solid!!!! It was a nightmare I'm definatly going genuine next time

Ph2 172
I got my Mintex from G172 that had incorrect ABS teeth on so it can happen to any company/person (I don't blame G172 for that since it was Mintex's fault) but I didn't have any issues like you describe when I had the wrong ABS ring on. All that happened was the light came on to tell me that the ABS had a fault and it wasn't active, they still functioned how they should. Maybe that's a difference in how it works between the phase 1 and 2 Clio?

Mine were only failing after heavy throttle application straight on to brakes. Chances are yours would've been the same. ABS light took about 15mins of driving to activate.

Pedal just goes totally solid, zero braking effort. So dangerous.

Mine were from G172 also.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
How the hell can ebay brakes be dangerous?

Whats the difference between buying Mintex brakes from Ebay and Mintex brakes from somewhere else?

They can't. It's easy to change the ABS rings over. I took mine off this week no problem. Got mintex pad on the rear and they have never been a problem.

On my old car I always bought from ebay as there was no need to get good brakes, it was a lupo! I think people seem to be forgetting there are more reputable businesses on ebay than crooks. Really just get any discs for the back, you will not notice a difference :)

Rear brakes do hardly anyway of the brake, 80:20 or something as a general rule with the front bias, hense size and venting. I'm sure you know all that. Such a doss to change as well. Just need lots of copper slip on the mating surface to stop them seizing, mine have done this due to lack of slip and 1 pad is slightly thinner than the other.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
On another note. My last 182 did have dangerous brakes, the pedal reached the bottom and the brakes hardly stopped, felt very wooden. Was the vacuum on the servo and contaminated pads.

My CL rc5+ brakes are completely different animals when cleaned frequently.

I bought the Mintex discs and pads from G172 in the end.

Arrived fine, had the bearings and the correct number of teeth on the abs ring and all fitted fine today.

​Just the fronts to sort now.