ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Brakes applied on track ... ABS anti slid ?

Clio 182
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Clio 182 has an anti skid system ?
Basically the rear of the car when unsettled applied the brakes ... this was happening to me through paddock bend and entry into clearways and was really unsettling the car.

Anyone know of this ? Any pointers appreciated ...

Cheers
Steven

Yes, all Renaultsport 182 models have ESP, ABS and TCS.

There is an ESP & TCS off switch next to the cruise control switch. This will not disable the ABS however.

Do NOT attempt to disable the ABS by removing the fuse. That will end badly.

Clio 182
I'm happy with the abs but I assume the traction control / esp are connected but will switching off the esp button will fully disable the braking / esp ?

Last edited:

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I'm happy with the abs but I assume the traction control / esp are connected but will switching off the esp button will fully disable the braking / esp ?

I think there is a bit of a debate as to whether it is fully off or not.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It'll be the ESP as it doesn't know you're on track.

Next time, turn it off and see if it goes away :)

Silly question alert - how was the weather / track surface / what tyres are you running...?

If it was today - it was quite cold wet and windy - Brands can be an awful place to walk around let alone drive around at the best of times, especially in those conditions !

will switching off the esp button will fully disable the braking / esp ?

There is an ESP & TCS off switch next to the cruise control switch. This will not disable the ABS

As others have confirmed flicking the ESP button disables ESP and TCS only. It does not disable ABS.

What you are describing (and is very plausible) is almost certainly ESP. Flick the switch (an orange ESP warning light will appear on the dash - don't worry) and have a compare.

For that matter the orange light on the dash will flicker when TCS or ESP interupts (but not ABS) but this does flicker very quickly and is easily missed.

ESP uses individual brakes to attempt to control oversteer. TCS cuts the trottle to control wheel spin. ABS modulates individual brakes to avoid locking up.

Clio 182
It'll be the ESP as it doesn't know you're on track.

Next time, turn it off and see if it goes away :)

Silly question alert - how was the weather / track surface / what tyres are you running...?

If it was today - it was quite cold wet and windy - Brands can be an awful place to walk around let alone drive around at the best of times, especially in those conditions !

This all begining to make sense now ..

I was running 888 on the front and road tyres on the rear and pushing, needless to say the rear would break away which was nice and brought the car in nicely for corners like Graham Hill and entrance to Clearways... But pushing my luck Maybe at paddock.