ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rear brakes, too much brake dust?

PB Clio 172
I have brembo pads and mintex discs on the rear and the rear wheels are caked in dust even more so than the fronts?

how can this be? as the braking is next to nothing on the rears

I am about 1500 miles into my rear brakes just wondered if brembo pads are known for lots of brake dust or not

any help would be great

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
More than likely that your calipers are starting to seize. Are they warm / hot after a motorway run?

Agreed, the rears do practically nothing normally.

Is it both sides by the same amount in terms of the extra dust though or all on one side, it would be quite unlucky for them to both seize at once.

PB Clio 172
its both sides but the drivers rear more so than the others

that's what I mean ever since the brembo/ mintex rears have gone on its too much dust IMO

Clio 182 FF
Take it out somewhere you can sit at motorway speed for 5 mins then pull over somewhere safe and see if the wheel is warm or the discs have started to blue. Other way to know is to move around at car park speed and see if the car feels like it is slowing down from low speed to quickly. Hard to describe the feeling but thats how I noticed an old caliper had seized.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Or just jack it up, get someone to press and release the brake, and check the wheel spins freely.

PB Clio 172
yeah ok thanks guys will give them a try, jacking up my car is a problem, trolley jack only- need to get one really (sills are knacked)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just put the jack in the middle of the rear axle and lift the whole back end in one go :)

Either that, or look into using some rubber pads?

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?715197-Rubber-inserts-blocks-for-car-jacks

Wasn't there a thread not long back where the rear Mintex discs were too 'fat' and not as narrow as the Reno OEM ones? Could be that with the additional thickness of the discs, it would explain why both sides of the car appears to be generating a lot of dust?

Just a thought anyway.

D.

FF Clio 182
Just make sure you put it in gear and then take the handbrake off before you jack it up. Having your clio roll down your drive with the back end up on a jack isn't fun :)