ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Coilover Setup, FK, Help...

having a right nightmare with these FK coilovers at the rear............had them on since last september...........basically ive put custom springs on the rear, but because they are going so low, the threaded bit of the rear coilover setup is too tall and getting in the way........

ive got some smaller threaded post to go on, but cant seem to get the old one off :mad:

im at the stage now where the car is jacked up on both sides, both shocks taken off, and the rear axle is hanging down with no springs on.........from what i can see, there is just one bolt and a large washer holding the threaded pole on........so i thought, easy enough, take the bolt out, washer off, and remove the threaded pole...........but this dosent seem to want to happen......

my question is......do this part of the FK rears have a little bit that sits in a hole on the axle to keep it in place as well as the bolt? because its stuck good and proper..................

ive tried a few things to get them out, including putting the bolt back in halfway, and hitting it upwards with a hammer, to no avail...... i cant see any other way that i could get it out, it seems to be a really tight fit :S

does anyone have any ideas how i can get this off, as i need the shorter one on!!

cheers :approve:

coilover_thing.jpg

is this what FK setup is like? how the hell can i get the threaded bit out if its been pushed into the axle and is a tight fit?

Chocolate Bar™
shouldnt have a lip and should be totally flush on the bottom and the bolt just goes in to stop it moving / falling out.

they can seize up pretty bad, so try some penetrating fluid, and also try to hold the threads to stop the whole thing spinning

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Try this mate...

Wedge a piece of wood or a brick somewhere inbetween the axle & the chassis - then put the bolt back in the thread most of the way in but just enough so theres a gap of about a 1cm or so - enough gap to cause movement if that makes sense.

Then get a trolley jack under the bolt and give it a few pumps - the wood should stop the axle moving up into the arch and should in theory start to push the bolt/thread (thing) out of its tight position - you might need to have the whole weight of the car resting on it before it budges though!!!

Does this make sense to you??

yeah matey, tried it :( didnt manage to go as far as the full weight of the car on it though, might be worth a try

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Hmmmm....

How about - winding the adjuster back on the threaded part - and smacking it with a rubber/wooden mallet so not to damage the thread!!

Try smacking the bolt up again but not with the axle swinging down as this will absorb the impact - have it compressed held down using wood & jack again!!