ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear end skittish under heavy braking..

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
As the title says really back end seems to move about alot under heavy braking.. Quite un-nerving at times :(

It has some shocks on the back which arnt standard items so im wondering if that could be the problem?

Its a 182 cup so could have been fitted with basic 172/182 rear shocks rather than cup items? Those will be he next this i replace...

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
4udu5eha.jpg

Nope no compensator.. I think its just te 172 cup that had them?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nope. 172 Cups are the models the don't have them...yours should have one as far as I'm aware.

Lack of valve will explain the issue your having.

Find a 172 Cup owner that's been convinced they need one by a clueless MOT tester and buy it from them!?

Last edited:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Nope. 172 Cups are the models the don't have them...yours should have one as far as I'm aware.

Lack of valve will explain the issue your having.

Find a Cup owner that's been convinced they need one by a clueless MOT tester and buy it from them!?

nope. 172 cup is the only model that DOES have a compensator. It's just fixed in one position rather than with a lever rod on it

All models with ABS use the ABS unit to control brake balance.
I'd check your calipers are working properly, I saw 3 in one day this week with sticky rears because of the cold

Ahh yeah non-cup so yours is ABS controlled - as Dan has said I'd check they're freed up. The rear calipers are a s**t design in my opinion, they seize up quite easily.

Just jack one rear corner up and see if they spin freely
Could be the shocks - but they'd have to be VERY wrong to make the back end squirm under braking. Does it feel ok on corners normally when you're not braking?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Rear calipers are fine not sticking etc so thats why i put it down to the shocks..

Now Sold :-(
I'd suggest shocks. Mine was very lively on the rear end under heavy breaking and after checking everything on the braking system was OK decided to replace the shocks. They were fine to look at no leaks etc but at 60k guess they were just a bit tired. New shocks fitted and the rear end is now very stable.