ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear wheel steer....

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Long left hand corner, sweeping high speed corner.

Come into the corner at around 110-120kph.

I turn in slowly and smoothly, car turns nice, then suddenly its as if the rear starts steering on its own making the arc of the car tighter, feels like the back steps out for a small moment, settles and gets on its way.

Whats loose?

Dampers seem to be damping fine when jumping in the boot.

Clio 182
My clio recently had similar issues. When I removed the tyres one of them had lots of rubber balls inside from where the tyre gave up and the wall lost strength.

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
Check the 4 bolts that bolt the stub axle on,maybe stretched or came loose.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
shot dampers id bet how old are they? my last set of 182 cup ones failed after 15k miles 1yr (running sportline springs)

I'm running the red eibach springs. This is the funny thing, its almost as if I can feel the progressive spring rate on the rear. As you tip the car in at first it wants to come around and it then settles. Almost like a spring/damper deadzone.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm running the red eibach springs. This is the funny thing, its almost as if I can feel the progressive spring rate on the rear. As you tip the car in at first it wants to come around and it then settles. Almost like a spring/damper deadzone.

Check the springs themselves if you can, John. One of my rear Eibach Sportlines had about an inch of spring snap-off at the top - just through normal driving. I heard a loud, sprung, "clung" noise from the rear but luckily, had the car already booked into Birchdown a few days later for a service. The lads pointed out that the tip of the spring had snapped clean off and Eibach swapped both rears out under warranty.

It was a good number of years ago - I couldn't honestly say if it affected the handling of the rear much?

D.