ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recent re-spray - Swirl Marks/'Scratches' in paint

Clio mk2
Ahoy,

Had the bonnet, arches, front sprayed in the last couple of days and have just noticed under closer inspection/sun out that there's a LOT of swirl marks covering the paint including what looks like horizontal fine scratches in places (more so on one of the arches). I'm having to phone them up tomorrow as they've missed a couple of bits I asked for them to do and will mention this but is there any reason for all the above. Had a quick look online and it's possible that they've done a poor job/dusty environment? Unless this is common and will need a full correction doing?

Pretty annoying to say the least. Hard to get pics but this one of the places where the scratches run horizontally to the light (swirls are more visible in the pic).

IMG_3056.jpg

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
poor job same happened to mine mate,take it back to bodyshop and demand they do it again,or get trading standards involved always works.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
poor job same happened to mine mate,take it back to bodyshop and demand they do it again,or get trading standards involved always works.
Eh! Those swirls etc have nothing really to do with the paint so to speak, they're micromarring from washing or wiping down with poor equipment. Surely you guys realise this has nothing to do with the painting that was carried out?

Take it back and show them, explain that the parts that have been painted need polished properly. You don't have to make a scene, it's easily fixed.

Trading standards because of some swirl marks, calm yourself.

Like Gally said, will have come from washing after it's been painted/polished most likely, not poor paintwork. 90% of the public don't even know what a swirl mark is so it'll have been washed with a single bucket and a 50p sponge.

Clio mk2

Eh! Those swirls etc have nothing really to do with the paint so to speak, they're micromarring from washing or wiping down with poor equipment. Surely you guys realise this has nothing to do with the painting that was carried out?

Take it back and show them, explain that the parts that have been painted need polished properly. You don't have to make a scene, it's easily fixed.

Awesome, cheers for the replies guys.
Have found some other problems in places (paint drip on fog/paint flaking) so unfortunately isn't a great job so far.
Will see what they say!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'd be more concerned about that weird line running along the bumper that they've painted over!

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't be happy with that to be honest.
Looks like it needs to go in for a re-spray / detail, not just come from having one.
Hope you get it sorted mate.
Was it a proper body shop?
If so, who was it?

Clio mk2
I wouldn't be happy with that to be honest.
Looks like it needs to go in for a re-spray / detail, not just come from having one.
Hope you get it sorted mate.
Was it a proper body shop?
If so, who was it?

£720 isn't that much for that work tbh, but it sounds shabby enough to say something.

Swirls are easily sorted, baffles me as to why bodyshops don't take pride in looking after fresh paint.

Yeah it's Elite Bodyworx in hull. Reasonably well known in this area as they're the place to go for this kind of work. They're also tied in with a modified car group around here, discounts etc. I'd expect a slightly better job from a place like this.
Have phoned them about the swirls and said he'll take a took and also mentioned that they didn't do the callipers and drums as they couldn't find the locking wheel nut, which I said and left in the middle compartment [emoji52] also had my phone number for any questions.... Still charged me the same money.
But am taking it tomorrow morning for the wheel bits and showing the issues (paint flaking, swirls/scratches, 'pin pricks' on bumper, bonnet not aligned quite right, headlight not sitting on bumper correctly).

Clio mk2
Reet. Update. Chucked her back in the bodyshop tuesday. They did the Drums and Calipers as requested, tweaked the bonnet so sits better, went over the parts that were sprayed and is now a lot better. Not perfect mind. But better. There was a large amount of new scratches on the front when I did go to pick up, so he sorted that when I was there (no idea how they missed that... bleeding f'ing obvious), and they re-did the NS fog light (was a paint drip) properly. So now have one properly colour coded one and one matte sprayed. Tits. :nomouth:

Being picky the spolier needs properly doing again as there are lines/swirls in a cetain place and round the indicators there are lines.

Oh and later found a massive paint splodge on the wheel. However this did come off. Eventually..

All in all. Probs not going back there for any bodywork bits! Shame as the last time I went all was good.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing worse than when you take it back somewhere and they still don't sort it properly.
Sounds like your still not happy with it?

Titanium 182
Reet. Update. Chucked her back in the bodyshop tuesday. They did the Drums and Calipers as requested, tweaked the bonnet so sits better, went over the parts that were sprayed and is now a lot better. Not perfect mind. But better. There was a large amount of new scratches on the front when I did go to pick up, so he sorted that when I was there (no idea how they missed that... bleeding f'ing obvious), and they re-did the NS fog light (was a paint drip) properly. So now have one properly colour coded one and one matte sprayed. Tits. :nomouth:

Being picky the spolier needs properly doing again as there are lines/swirls in a cetain place and round the indicators there are lines.

Oh and later found a massive paint splodge on the wheel. However this did come off. Eventually..

All in all. Probs not going back there for any bodywork bits! Shame as the last time I went all was good.

Wow this place sounds terrible, I hope they're at least really cheap to reflect their quality of work.

Clio mk2
Nothing worse than when you take it back somewhere and they still don't sort it properly.
Sounds like your still not happy with it?

Not 100% but I'm ok with the finished outcome now. I'm just being extra picky now due to everything haha.

It's more of a case I'd expect a better service/finish from a company that have been recommened and known as the go to place for car enthusiasts. The excuse of, "we didn't do the calipers and drums as we couldnt find the locking wheel nut" but still gonna charge you and not tell you is just sh*t.
It's the little bits that go a long way!