ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recirculation Flap Help (doing it now)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
so as we speak im here -

DSC_0277_zpsmk28qwyh.jpg

im assuming this is the flap in question -

DSC_0278_zps4isdxh4u.jpg

i turned the car on and tried the button and nothing, flap doesnt move. im assuming having the fan and bits unplugged wont stop it from working?

how do you replace it?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Follow the orange and yellow wire in behind the airbox and you'll find the motor eventually. It's held in with two bolts.

The recirc flap is like a big letterbox, I'm not sure you've photo'ed it there, but you can reach it through the big hole in the back of the airbox.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
@andy_con They are hard to come by as they are a pain to get to unless you are ripping your car apart.

In the last 6 months i have managed to get hold of 3 of them which i have down the garage as they are £163 each from renault.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
f**k me 163....

I wish I had of taken mine out now and taken it to bits to see whats actually wrong with it.

will give ya a tenner for one :)

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I managed to get one from RenParts for around £40 delivered but it turned out all my Recirculation flaps are working fine as its the small square that the recirculation flap slots into has cracked and therefor the flap just spins round and round so i bought a full entire air box unit to sort this

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
My
I managed to get one from RenParts for around £40 delivered but it turned out all my Recirculation flaps are working fine as its the small square that the recirculation flap slots into has cracked and therefor the flap just spins round and round so i bought a full entire air box unit to sort this
As seemed fine and moved ok, I didnt notice any issues.

So your not selling one of yours for 40?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok so went in and got the actuator a moment ago.

fully sealed and not meant to be opened but I did

DSC_0281_zps5qvcafot.jpg

DSC_0282_zpsl9dbzl81.jpg

DSC_0283_zpsp1xnz1mv.jpg

interesting once out and I applied power to it, it worked just find. took a multi meter to the connector and im only getting 5.5v out of the connector.

the actual flap is not stuck in anyway, it cant even stay up under its own weight so it cant be that

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
The small square part that is pointed at with the arrows slots into a square hole in the airbox, Everyone that i fitted i still had no joy until i took it to the garage and they said the square hole in the air box where the flap slots into was cracked so the small square bit on the flap was just spinning.

DSC_0281_zps5qvcafot.jpg

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
The small square part that is pointed at with the arrows slots into a square hole in the airbox, Everyone that i fitted i still had no joy until i took it to the garage and they said the square hole in the air box where the flap slots into was cracked so the small square bit on the flap was just spinning.

View attachment 123168
that explains a lot, ill have a look weekend.

how hard is it to fit a whole new flap system?
some of the bolts look fookers to get to

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I have no idea as i have done without A/C for over a year now and I'm in no rush to get it fixed as it looks like a total pain to do hence why i will be booking it into SWR to get it done.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Rubbish why do these things have to go wrong. I will look into it at the weekend and see what's what
I have no idea as i have done without A/C for over a year now and I'm in no rush to get it fixed as it looks like a total pain to do hence why i will be booking it into SWR to get it done.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I've removed all the bolts I can see and the whole air unit is lose, but I can't actually get it out.

Has anyone removed one before who can offer some advice?

DSC_0298_zps8kpilw4g.jpg

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I'm assuming you have to remove this radiator?
Even the the plastic unit seems far bigger than the hole

DSC_0299_zps3blivzb4.jpg

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
@andy_con

The fabric on the bulk head comes off and there is a black metal panel that can be taken off.
The Heater matrix (Small Rad) is part of the whole unit.

DSC_0298_zps8kpilw4g.jpg
DSC_0299_zps3blivzb4.jpg

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I did wonder that.

im assuming then some of the bolts can be accessed from under the car to remove the fabric?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Why are you trying to pull all the rest of it out? I'm guessing I'm missing something as I was under the impression that you've got a dead/damaged motor. In which case you disassemble to the point you've already got, whip the two bolts out and slide the motor right out. No need to remove the rest for that.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Why are you trying to pull all the rest of it out? I'm guessing I'm missing something as I was under the impression that you've got a dead/damaged motor. In which case you disassemble to the point you've already got, whip the two bolts out and slide the motor right out. No need to remove the rest for that.
cos the motor isn't the issue, I have broken plastic

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
not sure that photo is a 182, but yeah I get the bit about removing fabric

Its a 172 but the bulk head is exactly the same with no difference.
The picture was more just to show you what comes off, where the bolts roughly are and how much space you will have / got.

Why even bother? How often do you use recirc button any way. I just taped my flap open to stop condensation

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Why even bother? How often do you use recirc button any way. I just taped my flap open to stop condensation

Recirc on - car gets colder, faster. Good in summer. Also good for not sucking fumes in, however you can get a smell with it.
Recirc off - isn't as fast but better for demisting. Less of a smell.

If you do a particularly evil fart, roll the windows up and stick the recirc on. Full heat. Your passengers will rejoice.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I just like things to work, so would be nice to get it sorted but its not life or death granted

Recirc on - car gets colder, faster. Good in summer. Also good for not sucking fumes in, however you can get a smell with it.
Recirc off - isn't as fast but better for demisting. Less of a smell.

If you do a particularly evil fart, roll the windows up and stick the recirc on. Full heat. Your passengers will rejoice.

Like the evil fart motive