ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

recommend a bluray disc to show what a hdtv can do?

Going to buy my mum and dad a 32" LCD Samsung and bluray player for xmas.

I want to show them what it really can do so planning a 1080p and bluray player.

Anyone recommend any bluray discs which would really show what it can do?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Finding Nemo.

Lmao,

I suggest Transformers :D.

Only things i can pin point of having a blu-ray is:

1, not alot of people have them
2, their expensive,

regarding number 1 = its annoying, i use the ps3 as a bluray player and recently got g.i joe & transformers 2, now my dad asked if he could watch them but he couldnt because they dont have a bluray player to watch them.

Do they watch alot of movies to benefit from a blu-ray player?

Last edited:
It was a serious answer! LOL

Have you seen it in HD?! It's something your Mum will actually watch, too. Not just loads of bangs and crashes that will result in her going back to the kitchen.

Mini Cooper
Finding nemo is a good call tbf ,most of the animated things like that look awesome on blu ray. I was gonna suggest watchmen but I doubt your mum will enjoy that, stunning on blu ray though.

Z4
Ratatouille is stunning.

Transformers, Iron man, The dark knight, Sin city, Hulk... that's my collection anyway lol.

57 Clio Campus Sport
Transformers, black hawk down, iron man And dark knight are all awesome

something that they both may like is Shawshank Redemption.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Animated stuff in HD will look great.

A lot of people say Iron Man, Dark Knight, Bladerunner, Transformers all seem highly recommended.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Need some type of nature program.
That program about yellowstone park a while ago looked fantastic on sky HD.

dk

911 GTS Cab
cartoons are a waste of time they look good on any format
i disagree, animated blu-rays look amazing, noticeably better than dvd, yes on dvd they look good but they are another level on blu-ray.

planet earth was very disappointing for me.

As noted above, transformers, dark knight (IMAX scenes are unbelievable), bladerunner, ironman.

Anything animated will look like sexual chocolate on a good display in 1080p, or even 720p for that matter.

As already mentioned, Transformers and Batman are also excellent demo discs.

Monsters Inc or Cars

Dark Knight looks good if using something like a Pioneer due to the darkness of everything. Inglorious Basterds also looks good in HD

Better than yours. C*nt.
Transformers, scene in the city where they're scrapping. The level of detail on that CGI is utterly staggering.

However for a woman;

a) you'll never persuade her that one shiny disk is better than another - it'll just be the cheapest that wins.
b) something cheesy/animated will show enough. Animated films do look better in HD.

cartoons are a bad for demoing due to the bright colours and huge blocks of them they will look good on any panel you really need film material to show off a quality panel.
yes a cartoon will make people go wow but it doesnt really display the detail that its capable of rendering.

Better than yours. C*nt.
cartoons are a bad for demoing due to the bright colours and huge blocks of them they will look good on any panel you really need film material to show off a quality panel.
yes a cartoon will make people go wow but it doesnt really display the detail that its capable of rendering.

I refer you to the fact that this is his mother. She doesn't give a fcuk.

Z4
I've got planet earth, some of it is mind blowing, and some is quite poor.

You have to remember it's filmed over a 10 (or more) year period, often filmed with a handheld in mad cold weather conditions!

I always think the scenic shots look best in HD, faces etc don't look massively different, it's all about the cinematography

Can't be bothered to read peoples relies... just KNOW that The Dark Knight is awesome in Blu Ray... if it doesn't look good on your tv then your tv is shite tbqfh.

Astra CDTI SRI
Wall-E
Monsters Inc
Ratatouille
Cars
A bugs life
(Are you seeing a pattern?)
Iron Man
Dark knight
Transformers 1 or 2

182FF with cup packs
I can highly reccomend Dr No.

The blu-ray is STUNNING. It almost looks like it's been filmed recently and just happens to be a 1960's period drama.

I suspect that the other Bond movies out on Blu-Ray are as good. According to the "making of" documentry on the disc they went back to the original camera negatives, then scanned them at a resolution of 4k (as in 4 times the vertical resolution of 1080 HS), a resolution which is ever so slightly higher than the grain resolution of the original film, so they captured everything, then they basically re-edited it and colourbalanced it scene by scene and digitally removed any film tears and scrathes etc.

They did the whole series for the DVD box set, but they planned ahead of time and did it at 4k resolution, so there'll be decent quality copies of bond films for DVD, Blu-Ray and whatever comes after it.

edit: Also, as almost everyone else points out, Dark Knight is amazing, the IMAX shots are insane. Planet Earth as well. Great Sunday afternoon viewing

My mum wanted to buy my dad a Bluray player for Christmas, so she just bought him a PS3 instead. Wonder what the f**k i got now :(

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
According to the "making of" documentry on the disc they went back to the original camera negatives, then scanned them at a resolution of 4k (as in 4 times the vertical resolution of 1080 HS), a resolution which is ever so slightly higher than the grain resolution of the original film, so they captured everything, then they basically re-edited it and colourbalanced it scene by scene and digitally removed any film tears and scrathes etc.

They did the same for Bladerunner.