ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

recommend me some filters

hi all,

ive got a gx 20 samsung dslr. got a site visit to holland next week anyone recommend me some filters for my camera. mainly be shooting builings and landscape, in both light and dark.

cheers

Last edited:
Budget & lens filter thread size?

You can keep things simple and just get a circular polarizing filter to remove window reflections and preserve a little sky or you can go for the slide on filter route like Cokin, Hi-tech, Lee or Singh Ray that are great for landscape with clear horizons.
http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

If your shooting in low light a tripod is must if you don't have one already.

Budget & lens filter thread size?

You can keep things simple and just get a circular polarizing filter to remove window reflections and preserve a little sky or you can go for the slide on filter route like Cokin, Hi-tech, Lee or Singh Ray that are great for landscape with clear horizons.
http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

If your shooting in low light a tripod is must if you don't have one already.

52mm.

i have gone for the cokin p series system. wheres the best place to get the filters from as my local jessops dont stock many filters.

cheers

Get some Hi-tech GND filters that fit the P-system as the Cokins leave a nasty colour cast.

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=78_767_277

I'd personally go for a GND 0.6 (2stop) or 0.9 (3stop) soft then add a ND 1.2 (4 stop) if I was wanting to create water movement in the sea etc.

These 85x110mm filters fit in the Cokin P filter holder* and are manufactured from the highest quality optical grade polyester resin.
*May not fit in some newer Cokin holders - please check before purchase.

ff 182
gx20 v nice am thinking of getting one of these my self how you finding it?......sorry for going of topic

its a joy to use. great bit of kit would love to learn how to use it to its full useage but just do not have the time with uni and all. are there any good books on dslr's? for tips and tech'.

thanks bluepete, the above are for moving water. what would be best for day light buildings and landscaping i always get white sky's even what playing with the white balance?

cheers

its a joy to use. great bit of kit would love to learn how to use it to its full useage but just do not have the time with uni and all. are there any good books on dslr's? for tips and tech'.

thanks bluepete, the above are for moving water. what would be best for day light buildings and landscaping i always get white sky's even what playing with the white balance?

cheers

The White Balance won't have an affect on exposure. If you've got time to mull over a shot its best to use Manual, especially using GND filters. If your sky is blowing out white you need to either lower the ISO, make the aperture smaller or increase the shutter speed or ideally use a stronger GND filter to get the right balance.

For water movement you'll need a tripod and want to let in as little light as possible to slow the shutter speed down so using stronger ND filters like the 1.2 (4stop) would be best, along with a suitable GND depending on how much brighter the sky is over the ground.

For buildings the ND or GND filters won't be of much use unless you want to blur people movement for example. I think a screw on circular polariser filter would help in reducing window reflections and help capture blue skys.

Bryan Petersons - Understanding Exposure always seems to be recommended on the forums, not sure if covers the specifics of filters though..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...=aps&hvadid=3265580941&ref=pd_sl_8flu0y20mq_b