ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommendations for speakers?

Clio 197, BMW 525
Hi guys,
I've shifted my original front door speakers to the back. Now I'm looking for some recommendations of decent front door speakers. I'm looking for a set I can just click in and play, none of this fancy re-wiring or messing about.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Listerine & Poledo
the OEM speakers in R.S. Clios are actually decent.
Unless you're going to start running amplifiers, you dont need to change them at all.
Since you already have though...these are your drop-in replacements.....

If you've not changed your headunit already, do that beforehand though, as the OEM stereo is pretty weak and the new speakers will sound woeful.

How can the OEM speakers be good? Well, you sling a little sub somewhere to deal with the low-end, apply a high-pass filter on your headunit to the speakers and then they focus on mids and highs. Which they can do all day without a problem.

Good luck

Clio 197, BMW 525
the OEM speakers in R.S. Clios are actually decent.
Unless you're going to start running amplifiers, you dont need to change them at all.
Since you already have though...these are your drop-in replacements.....

If you've not changed your headunit already, do that beforehand though, as the OEM stereo is pretty weak and the new speakers will sound woeful.

How can the OEM speakers be good? Well, you sling a little sub somewhere to deal with the low-end, apply a high-pass filter on your headunit to the speakers and then they focus on mids and highs. Which they can do all day without a problem.

Good luck
Lovely, thanks. Are those Pioneers a simple plug-in job with the existing connectors? They look perfect.

Listerine & Poledo
@Goodj, is there an equivalent pair of drop-in replacements for the rear door cards?
Yes.

But unless you're going to start using external amps. There is actually less than no point at all. Since you don't want to do wiring faff, I'm guessing no amps are involved.

Honestly, just swap a headunit out, get a little sub. Done.

182 Trophy
Thanks. I'm not the OP, so don't mind playing with wires :)

I've already fitted a Cabasse Auditorium, so have a few more watts of power to drive the speakers, hence the question.

Listerine & Poledo
Thanks. I'm not the OP, so don't mind playing with wires :)

I've already fitted a Cabasse Auditorium, so have a few more watts of power to drive the speakers, hence the question.
Errrrr.
Isn't that just another renault unit?

182 Trophy
OEM indeed. Doesn't sound like you guys rate the Auditorium then LOL!!
Thanks for speaker links anyway, I'm sure others will find them useful too.

Listerine & Poledo
OEM indeed. Doesn't sound like you guys rate the Auditorium then LOL!!
Thanks for speaker links anyway, I'm sure others will find them useful too.
Yep, they're not much better than the stock unit. Certainly not an improvement enough to warrant changing speakers for anyway.

Listerine & Poledo
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-ts-q131c-13cm-custom-fit-components

Is it recomeneded that tweeters be changed too?

As its a hassle and im lazy!
not realy but the tweeters in mine sound good but the rest are wowfull not sure why but im going to upgrade myself soon but not much into audio so the question is are tweeters needed or can you just plug and play new door speekers?

1) If you've not changed headunit for Non-renault part, don't bother
2) If you're not amplifying a non-OEM head-unit, don't bother. The most you need is a little sub, then the speakers can deal with anything not-bass, at which point they become a LOT better

The biggest issue with stock setup is that people think uprating speakers will help....it wont. in fact it'll probably sound worse as the new speakers will more drive than the Renault units can provide.

In regards to the tweeters though. You can just take off the dash-top grille and, with some swearing, change out the tweeters without removing the dash. It's not that much more faff.

I've fitted the Pioneers, all 6 along with a new Sony head unit. Until I have time/motivation to add a mini sub+amp it was all I could do but I think it made a huge difference. The build quality of the standard ones are a lot worse than the Pioneers IMO but as @Goodj states the HU must be done first and if you have time then an amp should be second.

Listerine & Poledo
Thanks chap.
The stock kit holds up well provided you're not pushing BAAASSSSSS through them, then their not-premium origins are clear...as you've found.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
is there a 13cm speaker that can go really low? (lower than 60Hz.....35Hz would do)
I've found a focal one....but it is €€€€€
could put something like that in the original rear points and obviate the need voor a sub (if you don't need megabass)

Listerine & Poledo
is there a 13cm speaker that can go really low? (lower than 60Hz.....35Hz would do)
I've found a focal one....but it is €€€€€
could put something like that in the original rear points and obviate the need voor a sub (if you don't need megabass)
in a word

no.

The kind of small subs I'm talking about aren't cabin-rattlers anyway. ONE OF THESE would be enough to fill out the missing lows, without embarrassing rumbling to the outside world.

I mean, you COULD chop the mounts and fit a pair of THESE in the rear instead, put you'll still need an amp to run them, and all the wiring. So by the time you've done all that, you may as well have got the sub in the first place.

At least then, come car-selling time, you can take out ALL the stuff you've spent money on and leave everything as Renault intended.