ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

red line on 172

Having notised many claims about 170 mailto:bhp@6250rpm">bhp@6250rpm however my 02 172 red lines at 6900rpm and some people have redlines over 7000rpm how is this so.. can anyone explain why its a 172 if its only 170hp. ???

The actual limit will come on around 6750-7250rpms depending on how warm the engine/oil is. But the peak power it before this, something like 6250. I guess the reason for reving higher is that when you change up a gear you from drop to around 5000rpms so that you remain in the power band?

Quote: Originally posted by SHORTY on 31 July 2003

i thought only motor cross bikes had power bands :confused:
Ive no idea but you certainly feel the power kick in at around the 5k rpms - not as much as a turbo but you know when you hit 5k.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

All piston driven engines have power bands which falls between peak torque and peak power.

In this band the car will be at its most powerful.

in the 172 this band is rather narrow (only 850rpm) and falls between 5400rpm (peak torque) and 6250rpm (peak power)

one side affect of this narrow power band is that the car needs loads of gear changes to keep it going powerfully.

ps. dont rag the car when its cold...you know its cold when the limiter kicks in at 6900

Nippy white cup

I had my Cup rrd yesterday. It had 169.6BHP with just an IK which probably doesnt help. Quite pleased but it is running far too rich. Put chip on and it went down to 165bhp!

Going into renault on Thursday and is getting chipped on Sat. Just in time for York.

What is it with renault clio 172 they are better left standard
you would of thought that with a chip and inuction kit you would get a good increase in power

not decrease , is the 172 crap at handling upgrades, i just dont get it
with any other car you get power gains

its a bit of a sh*tta when you pay good money and get f**k all except
fancy bits of metal

:mad:

Nippy white cup

Im no expert m8, but wouldnt the chip work incorrectly if the mixture was too rich. I dont think 169bhp is bad with just an IK. Probably should have got a viper but didnt think it was worth £100+ over an IK.

Ill see waht happens when Renault have checked out the fueling problem, go back and get it chipped again. Its not costing me anything as the rr it b4 and after the chip. If it doesnt do anything, it wont cost me anything:)

mine was standard i didnt waste any money on it by putting useless performance products on it

just looking at Chris nnic

I had my Cup rrd yesterday. It had 169.6BHP with just an IK which probably doesnt help. Quite pleased but it is running far too rich. Put chip on and it went down to 165bhp!