ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Redline when raggin it ?

Well, when you rag the car is it ok, safe, and should you, red line the car in every gear before shifting.

Ive started going from 6k and then a change, to letting it redline and then shift. Nothing i should worry about is there ? it only bounces about 3times before the shift so i shouldnt blow my head gasket ?

im a noob. dont laugh ! ;)

the redline is the "this is where I blow up line" ;)

I remember when you (lusty) made the same type of thread on the same subject not so long ago, I believe it started along the lines of " I felt the rush when I opened her up " :lolup: That made me chuckle to bits, proper comedy value as ever.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Clio sport engines are meant to rev harder as they have stuff like lightend fly wheels and prob lighter and balenced valves.

Does the clio sport engine judder at low revs because of the light fly wheel? it really anoyes me in traffic.

Why would you hit the limiter if your tryin to go fast lmao...

16vs produce power high in the rev range, my car doesnt get moving until you hit 4k, change a few hundred rpm before the limiter, just cuz it revs to 7k or whatever doesnt mean it produces power to there

Anyway, let the engine warm up (the oil, most cars have a water gauage not oil, oil takes longer than water) and as long as you don't go stupid (holding it on the limiter for minutes at a time) then you will be fine taking it to 6k every day without fail, I have done in all my cars and they are all perfectly healthy

Breaking A 172 Replica
Peak power on a 1.2 is 5.5k, has been stated more than once

Exactly, so you want to go quite a bit past it, you don't want to hit peak power and then shift, it's almost as bad as hitting peak torque and then shifting.

As stated above.

Why would hit peak power and then hit another gear, getting further out the power band?

The aim: To get the highest average power from the gear. You need to look at a RR graph OP, work out the length of the gear and then work out where you should be changing into and out of that gear.

Sam

Yeh so basically find out at what revs max BHP is achieved then change up a few hundred rpm after when the power drops quickly

I remember when you (lusty) made the same type of thread on the same subject not so long ago, I believe it started along the lines of " I felt the rush when I opened her up " :lolup: That made me chuckle to bits, proper comedy value as ever.

yeah well I was just a wee boy when i posted that. ;)

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Lusty i read that post again today in the driving story sub forum and i laughed so hard, it really was good stuff. You let us inside your dream world with fluffy clouds and kids with gun drop smiles lol... please post some more of that genius

BMW M135i
explain how a high rpm in first is different to high rpm in any gear???

Don't be such an aggresive w**ker all your life ;)

I believe it is to do with the speed at which the revs increase. In 1st they obviously rise quicker than in any other gear. I think it is because of this you should allow for a little margin for error as to not ruin your engine.

Don't gearing makes that much difference tbh, revving it in neutral with no load on it isn't the best idea though iirc.

Breaking A 172 Replica
I am sure Edde will be along soon enough. He explained it to me initially and undoubtedly he will be able to give a better explanation.

LY 200
I'm sorry, why can't you use all the performance of the car you drive? I think you'll find that a thrashed 1.2 is going to accelerate up to the speed limit no faster than a fairly mundanely-driven 172/182. Why have a 1.2 and then only use the first 2500rpm? You may as well drive an 800cc Clio. I don't know how much power they have, but let's call it 75bhp, which was produced at, I think I read, 6250rpm. Change up every time at 2500rpm and you're going to be producing a maximum power figure of what... I don't know, 40-50bhp? Bloody pointless; use whatever it takes to make decent progress. In a 1.2 Clio that means using much more of the rev range than the diesel 5 Series behind you.

Hitting the limiter won't do any harm to your engine (it's present to stop the engine revving too quickly), but it's not exactly beneficial to maximum forward motion, which is usually what you're after that far up the rev range.

Don't do it through town centres, though - that's just silly.

Clio sport engines are meant to rev harder as they have stuff like lightend fly wheels and prob lighter and balenced valves.

Say no more.

I could write an essay but i dont really feel the need to explain to you lot as it should be common sense.

My last words will simply be, if your happy to drive your A to Z runners into the ground by believing there super cars then thats your choice but i pitty the poor unsuspecting bugger that buys them off you when you come to sell up.

Clio 172 mk2
Why not see how long you can stay at the redline/on the limiter for for....I've heard that can be quite an exciting game.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my 1.2 16v hit peak power at 5450rpm or there abouts.

i found it best to change at 5700rpm.

anything over and it droped off the power too much, anything under and it didnt pull hard enough in the next gear.

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
i only really redline my car in 1st because its so easy to do :/ i wont do it again though cos i dont wanna damage it! i drive it like a granny 90% of the time anyway!

Does the clio sport engine judder at low revs because of the light fly wheel? it really anoyes me in traffic.

Is this true about the 172's etc having lighter flywheels etc ? :S

And i cahnge gear at about 6500 rpm now when thrashing my car on odd accasion ;)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lol as said before dont see why your not aloud to make the most out of your limited power on this place because you drive a 1.2.

ive said it before and ill say it again, i dont have as much fun in my 172 as i used to in my modded 1.2 due to the fact that you never needed to slow down!! you could hammer f**k out it down a backroad in the wet at 80mph and it was glued to the road!!!! and looked like a rally car when the cat used to catch the ground and throw sparks out the back lol

Shed.
lol as said before dont see why your not aloud to make the most out of your limited power on this place because you drive a 1.2.

ive said it before and ill say it again, i dont have as much fun in my 172 as i used to in my modded 1.2 due to the fact that you never needed to slow down!! you could hammer f**k out it down a backroad in the wet at 80mph and it was glued to the road!!!! and looked like a rally car when the cat used to catch the ground and throw sparks out the back lol

true that. I can rag it and not need to worry about the speed.

Went for a blast last night round my roads in te cuntry and was doing 90, pushing 100 mph in the wet round the corners. and im on steel rims so it acs like a rally car, i was all over the place.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lol mine was completely planted was brilliant, if you hammer down a backroad at they speeds in the 172 the ESP spoils it and if you switch it off it lights up the front wheels too easy lol

and the biggest spoiler is the 16" wheels, they ruin it!

Clio MK 4
ye i had 1.2 corsa and know what you mean. You could floor it not worrying about going over speed limit to quickly as took ages lol. And on country roads same you don't feel the need to let go of accelerator as much. with the 172 i'd kill myself if i floored it the same on country roads lol

PMSL at this thread. Ragging a 1.2? What's the point? I drive my g/f's dynamique sometimes, and I thought I would see what happened throughout the rev range. I came to the conclusion that there is no point going past 5k EVER. It takes about 30 seconds to get from 5k to 6k, it's so pitiful. It just sits there revving but not doing a lot.

Honestly, trying to drive a 1.2 fast makes you look like a tit. I had a 1.2 punto for about a year before the 172 (was brand new cos got it very cheap) and the quickest way to drive it was to literally change at 4.5k lol.

Clio MK 4
i wouldnt redline it but i would need to put my footdown all the time as my corsa had 45bhp. so it took like 10 seconds just to get to 30 lol. had to to save embarrassment

Shed.
PMSL at this thread. Ragging a 1.2? What's the point? I drive my g/f's dynamique sometimes, and I thought I would see what happened throughout the rev range. I came to the conclusion that there is no point going past 5k EVER. It takes about 30 seconds to get from 5k to 6k, it's so pitiful. It just sits there revving but not doing a lot.

Honestly, trying to drive a 1.2 fast makes you look like a tit. I had a 1.2 punto for about a year before the 172 (was brand new cos got it very cheap) and the quickest way to drive it was to literally change at 4.5k lol.

Shut up.

Im 18. FFS what do you think im going to drive, ill be honest with you, it can be a fun car to drive if you drive it correctly. Yeah, its slow, but its more than i need to get myself into trouble. Not only that the 1,2 is still perfectly capable of 89,90mph.

cant lie though it is slow as s**t lol. But then we all corner at the same speeds dont we. and as for looking like a tit, thats why i go out where its quiet and no one can see me.