ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Refitting o/s driveshaft, advice needed...

Goddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi,
Replaced o/s driveshaft today, I’ve got it done but two questions:

1st: the new shaft did not go on easy at all, I’ve had to absolutely whack it to get it all the way onto the gearbox, has anyone else experienced this? I cleaned everything and new shaft was greased (Renault re-furb from ktec) - the old shaft had clearly been bashed on as well as marks on the shaft...

2nd - if I pull the shaft away from the box (holding near the box so no boots in between) without the holding plate in place there is about 2mm of movement, is this normal or do I need to be concerned?

Matt

PH2 172
Hi,
Replaced o/s driveshaft today, I’ve got it done but two questions:

1st: the new shaft did not go on easy at all, I’ve had to absolutely whack it to get it all the way onto the gearbox, has anyone else experienced this? I cleaned everything and new shaft was greased (Renault re-furb from ktec) - the old shaft had clearly been bashed on as well as marks on the shaft...

2nd - if I pull the shaft away from the box (holding near the box so no boots in between) without the holding plate in place there is about 2mm of movement, is this normal or do I need to be concerned?

Matt

If it`s on no to worry.
It sound`s like the stub on the gearbox is burred, but the shaft is located by the wheel bearing, not the small plate retaining the support bearing.

Goddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
If it`s on no to worry.
It sound`s like the stub on the gearbox is burred, but the shaft is located by the wheel bearing, not the small plate retaining the support bearing.

Ok thanks, did manage to get it on but like I say not without a significant amount of brute force.

Wouldn’t have expected there to be any horizontal movement though, even if it is only 1-2mm (once the plate is in this stops any movement but suspect that is not what it’s there for!)

PH2 172
Ok thanks, did manage to get it on but like I say not without a significant amount of brute force.

Wouldn’t have expected there to be any horizontal movement though, even if it is only 1-2mm (once the plate is in this stops any movement but suspect that is not what it’s there for!)

It will be fine, there is no lateral load on the shaft.