ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reflectors to make rear lights M.O.T legal?..Ideas?

Clio DCI 65
I have a set of fk euro rear lights to fit but they come with hideous reflector coins which i am led to believe are needed as an M.O.T legal requirement. I am reluctant to fit them as these coins are bloody ugly.

Are there any reflectors out there that can fit either side of the number plate? or either side inside the rear windcreen? Any other ideas that anyone has that would give me a smarter neater soloution would me much appreciated.

Any Ideas?

Is that what they're for?! idk i binned them.

I always drive with my sidelights on, and always park on my drive at night so I don't see the need for them personally

Clio DCI 65
I could..but theres still a risk of getting pulled. Id rather play it safe and avoid the attention if im honest

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
I could..but theres still a risk of getting pulled. Id rather play it safe and avoid the attention if im honest

just like i could...

3/4 front plate
i run my xenons with no sidelights. because they look better :eek:

havnt had one bit of bother from the police! and i have a yozza which isn't exactly quite

I think it is down to how you go about driving.

Mental 172 Cup
Buy some 3m reflective tape off eBay and put a strip along the bottom on the lamp. You won't even notice it.. It'll also pass MOT..

Mental 172 Cup
I would also bet you most MOT testers wont even notice it doesnt have rear reflectors.. The tape will simply keep the cops happy.. As said above though lots of means and ways around not getting in trouble, I just used this method on my lights and it was fine..

Clio DCI 65
I bought some genuine 3m reflective tape of ebay. Gonna cut a strip and stick it between the top and middle lens and see how it turns out. Not exactly legal, but at least im half way there instead of nothing at all. Will post pics when done to see what you all think

I bought some genuine 3m reflective tape of ebay. Gonna cut a strip and stick it between the top and middle lens and see how it turns out. Not exactly legal, but at least im half way there instead of nothing at all. Will post pics when done to see what you all think
I'd rather leave it at nothing at all... what's the point if it's still not legal?

im leaving it as is... I was not told by FK that they where needed by law... ill just blame them.

I'm also running with just one dipped beam ATM as one of the ballasts has gone and is taking ages to arrive off ebay :/

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
im leaving it as is... I was not told by FK that they where needed by law... ill just blame them.

Ahh yes, ignorance is best! lol. That's like saying because the tyre fitter never told you the minimum tread depth was 1.6mm it's his fault you're running a bald tyre!

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Just keep them for MOT times. I'm sure a little bit of heat will allow them to be reusable.

Clio DCI 65
SAM_058111.jpg

I highlighted where i could place the reflective strip..

1. Across longways on the outside
2. The inside of the lens, 2 strips top and bottom of the bulb as they are smooth flat surfaces

Attachments

• SAM_05811.jpg
    SAM_05811.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 99
Just put your standard lights back on for MOT the police won't give a damn about non reflective patches on the rear of your car. The registration plate is reflective for a start. If your that worried my Astra has reflective rectangles at the bottom of the rear bumper. Job - Done...

283ED62F-13DA-4C34-AF74-FA9432266767-2673-00000176A1F06A4A.jpg

Just put your standard lights back on for MOT the police won't give a damn about non reflective patches on the rear of your car. The registration plate is reflective for a start. If your that worried my Astra has reflective rectangles at the bottom of the rear bumper. Job - Done...

aren't you getting a new bumper without them though?

:eek:

Done some research this morning seems most post 2005 cars have something reflective on the back. Even some of them don't to be fair.

Seems a reflector is just there for extra cautiousness really. My Clio had a different set of lights on the rear with nothing reflective on and it passed its MOTs for 2 years no problems.

clio sold :(
Shame I havent got a pic on my phone. But I black tinted my rear light on my old fiat but ended up doing then so dark you could hardly see the lights had to go halfords and buy there brightest bulbs and it was still dull. They certainly didnt reflect ! It passed an Mot and I got Followed by police a couple of times no bother.
Dont worry about it