ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

regarding my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Monaco Blue 172
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?747047-Clio-172-207-000-miles

i feel i deserve right of reply on this thread considering it is about my car, and I am not going to pay membership fee for the privilege to do so.

this kind of petty, small-mindedness is exactly why I stopped paying membership and using this forum years ago. it's why i also should probably never use ebay to sell a car ever again.

if i had wanted to sell my car on here, i would have done. i briefly considered it and chose not to.
whilst the person who posted it here likely had honest intentions, the result was that the auction suddenly attracted way more attention that it should have, and this inflated the bidding to a ridiculous level.

the "winner" contacted me the next day to say that he had obtained an insurance quote of >£1000 because of the mods, and as a result the sale was no longer viable for him. i have worked back through the other bidders using ebays "second chance" process and, surprise surprise, I am now faced with stony silence from most of them, and reduced offers from others. Amazing how one person choosing not to buy something because they didn't do their research properly beforehand, can suddenly discourage others from buying it.

i resent the accusations of shill bidding that have been thrown around, i am a completely honest and straightforward person hence I declined the many "whats your buy it now price mate / i'll give you 200 and collect tomorrow" requests as those are outside ebay policy & anyway I genuinely wanted to find out what the car is worth - having spent TENS OF THOUSANDS of pounds maintaining it over many years, why the F*** should I just give it away for a pittance so that somebody else can make money on it? i deserve to be paid what the car is worth, but now I am never going to find out what that actually is!!!

so thanks CS for turning my ebay auction into a farce and wasting my £10 listing fee. complete and utter waste of my time & money. might as well scrap the car now.

Just to clarify - I'm correct in saying that you have absolutely no proof of any of your above accusations, yes?

A load of people think a 10+ year old mass produced econo-box on 200,000 miles is worth XYZ and you disagree. Therefore everything is CS's fault, all the idiots on ebay who can't do an insurance quote must be on the forum, it has ruined your week, rendered your car unsellable and (most remarkably) the entire event has caused your car to devalue from whatever you thought it was worth to scrap metal because of the £10 fees & time involved.

Just as people in the other thread have no evidence to suggest you & your mates were upbidding your own item because it wasn't getting you "enough" you have absolutely no evidence that anyone messing you around by backing out was from CS, correct?

Last edited:
  Monaco Blue 172
Just to clarify - I'm correct in saying that you have absolutely no proof of any of your above accusations, yes?

Nothing has been said in the other thread to suggest it was a CS member who pulled out of the winning bid.
that is not what i am saying. quite clearly the winner was a just a muppet and not a CS member, or he would have been well aware of the insurance situation prior to bidding. but in the other thread at least 2 people have accused me of shill bidding the auction with "absolutely no proof". this is what i object to.

Clio 172 Flamer
Also, it is not cs's responsibility is it?

I didn't see that in the t&c when signing up ;)

If anything they promoted it for you.

that is not what i am saying. quite clearly the winner was a just a muppet and not a CS member, or he would have been well aware of the insurance situation prior to bidding. but in the other thread at least 2 people have accused me of shill bidding the auction with "absolutely no proof". this is what i object to.

Being annoyed at unfounded accusations is a completely justified & understandable response.

(As an aside I don't think anyone would have directed the accusations at you personally if you were involved in the discussion. Mr Potato in particular, having had a career in dealing with muppets selling cars, was probably directing the comment in jest at the very nature of ebay)

Likewise I'm sure you have everyone's sympathy for an ebay auction falling through, particularly on a large item worth reasonable money etc.

But it's not very clear how you go from the above in which you seem a very reasonable guy (the standard of maintenance received a lot of praise in the other thread) to the following:

thanks CS for turning my ebay auction into a farce and wasting my £10 listing fee. complete and utter waste of my time & money. might as well scrap the car now.

Last edited:
  Monaco Blue 172
well then, how about we all keep our ignorant, baseless accusations to ourselves in future? that sound fair?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You're touchier than a drunk Jimmy Saville.

If I were you I'd just ignore comments like that, not worth the time getting worried about it.

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
IMO the listing for the car being noticed by various cs members gave it a greater chance of selling rather than a negative effect. If you read the thread there a several people that sound interested in it for various reasons in its current form. If you have much higher expectations on the value of the car why don't you fit a lower mileage engine in as you have already spent "TENS OF THOUSANDS" on it; this may then warrant a higher price.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch

i feel i deserve right of reply on this thread considering it is about my car, and I am not going to pay membership fee for the privilege to do so.

this kind of petty, small-mindedness is exactly why I stopped paying membership and using this forum years ago. it's why i also should probably never use ebay to sell a car ever again.

if i had wanted to sell my car on here, i would have done. i briefly considered it and chose not to.
whilst the person who posted it here likely had honest intentions, the result was that the auction suddenly attracted way more attention that it should have, and this inflated the bidding to a ridiculous level.

the "winner" contacted me the next day to say that he had obtained an insurance quote of >£1000 because of the mods, and as a result the sale was no longer viable for him. i have worked back through the other bidders using ebays "second chance" process and, surprise surprise, I am now faced with stony silence from most of them, and reduced offers from others. Amazing how one person choosing not to buy something because they didn't do their research properly beforehand, can suddenly discourage others from buying it.

i resent the accusations of shill bidding that have been thrown around, i am a completely honest and straightforward person hence I declined the many "whats your buy it now price mate / i'll give you 200 and collect tomorrow" requests as those are outside ebay policy & anyway I genuinely wanted to find out what the car is worth - having spent TENS OF THOUSANDS of pounds maintaining it over many years, why the F*** should I just give it away for a pittance so that somebody else can make money on it? i deserve to be paid what the car is worth, but now I am never going to find out what that actually is!!!

so thanks CS for turning my ebay auction into a farce and wasting my £10 listing fee. complete and utter waste of my time & money. might as well scrap the car now.

Don't really know the while story but I know there's alot of annoying people on eBay, about the fees though if you do an unpaid item dispute, it's only a few days and they refund all your fees and give you a free re listing. Good luck with your next sale.

BG DCI
Make your mind up what your point is your moaning about:

Leave it to auction to "see what its worth"

Gets annoyed when people bid lots and dont buy, then car is apparently devalued...

Why didnt you put it up for £xxx buy it now and see what interest you got at that price...If none, lower the price.

Ive never used the auction feature to sell any of my cars for the exact reason you are moaning about, people not then buying.

Anyone from here could of easily found your car on ebay and posted it up, thats what the section is for. Your lucky someone posted something about your car that could of aided its sale.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Just so it's clear, as per my last email. I was willing to still buy it from you and all I asked was that you put an MOT on it for me so I can drive it home. Not once did I mention you bringing it to me. (I heard you say you have friends in the trade with a trailer but assumed you meant for getting it to an MOT station)

I was completely honest on the phone and said since the auction finished, i had already bought another car so didn't need it but was still willing to buy it.

I told you I wasn't going to waste your time but it seems you've wasted mine.

I am still willing to buy it, you have my number if you want to call me.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Just so it's clear, as per my last email. I was willing to still buy it from you and all I asked was that you put an MOT on it for me so I can drive it home. Not once did I mention you bringing it to me. (I heard you say you have friends in the trade with a trailer but assumed you meant for getting it to an MOT station)

I was completely honest on the phone and said since the auction finished, i had already bought another car so didn't need it but was still willing to buy it.

I told you I wasn't going to waste your time but it seems you've wasted mine.

I am still willing to buy it, you have my number if you want to call me.

sell it to this guy. It will be looked after!

PH2 RS172
i always sell on ebay but one thing i will never do is an auction, always a 30 day classified for £15. last auction i did (not that its the same in everyones case) attracted a bidder that, suprise surprise didnt show so i learnt my lesson there plus the amount of items you see where its been relisted due to timewasters is unreal. 7 days wasted usually. realistically who would bid on a car and not turn up unless it was something uber rare or won for a steal and unfortunately a 200k plus clio on auction is always going to attract the wrong attention. i would relist it as a classified for say £650 (overblown but still cheap) and then take offers. that way youre not paying the price for a muppet bidder no show. if anything the forum gave it positive press imo

172, Tiguan
I feel a bit like Chip.

OK

I know, those darn people on that popular Clio forum mentioning a cheap clio for sale eh! What a bunch of cnuts.

Perhaps you should've done. For starters you wouldn't have had the buyer pulling out after realising the insurance cost. Just a thought...

Now i'm no expert here, but surely thats a good thing.

How is that ClioSports fault, and how are we to blame for others pulling out?? Infact how is the original guy pulling out at blame for everyone else pulling out? LOL.

We all spend a lot to keep our cars running, but it doesn't mean it's worth much? It's called a fact of life. Cars aren't cheap. Also, how you choose to deal with people contacting you via ebay is very much your decision. If someone had offered you a good amount then why not take it? Doesn't take brains to work out a tatty, high mileage shopping car isn't worth £5000. People contacting you about a car for sale on ebay doesn't just happen to you, everyone gets dodgy questions and offers.

I'm curious as to why you feel someone else should pay for you to have had 200k+ use out of a Clio?

Honestly, a car with such high miles is dificult to shift. CS members however see this car as somewhat unique because of the high miles, hence it generated some interest. Therefore you've got some on here offering you a serious selling opportunity. To everyone else the only way this car is worth buying is if they break it for parts. They aren't going to do that as a favour to you, they want to make a few quid.

Yeah, thanks CS. What a bunch of idiots we must be, especially as it's thrown up your one and only serious buyer who is still trying to buy it off of you. LOL.

Whilst I think about it, you could've spent your £10 on membership, sold the car on here quickly and not had this hassle.

Now sorry, i'm not usually one for petty rants like this, but I'm all for standing up for this place and it's members. I apologise for the guy that accused you of shil bidding (whether it was a joke or not), but the rest of the rant was uncalled for. I think i've highlighted the reasons why! If you hate this place, ebay and the rest so much, the world must really be against you.

As you point out though, the scrap yard will always give you £80 for it.

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
We all spend a lot to keep our cars running, but it doesn't mean it's worth much? It's called a fact of life. Cars aren't cheap.

I did lol.

"Because I've spent thousands of pounds on maintenance, not to mention fuel, I demand that people offset my running costs with their bid."

Well done OP, surreal level of r****d.

Fiesta ST-2
I think the main issue is you're upset someone made a comment (probably in jest) about you bumping up the price of your auction, which alone you realise is silly. So you've tried to justify your rant with even more silliness. Assuming bidders are cliosport members and complaining about free advertising and exposure.

Clio 172 Flamer
I feel a bit like Chip.

OK

I know, those darn people on that popular Clio forum mentioning a cheap clio for sale eh! What a bunch of cnuts.

Perhaps you should've done. For starters you wouldn't have had the buyer pulling out after realising the insurance cost. Just a thought...

Now i'm no expert here, but surely thats a good thing.

How is that ClioSports fault, and how are we to blame for others pulling out?? Infact how is the original guy pulling out at blame for everyone else pulling out? LOL.

We all spend a lot to keep our cars running, but it doesn't mean it's worth much? It's called a fact of life. Cars aren't cheap. Also, how you choose to deal with people contacting you via ebay is very much your decision. If someone had offered you a good amount then why not take it? Doesn't take brains to work out a tatty, high mileage shopping car isn't worth £5000. People contacting you about a car for sale on ebay doesn't just happen to you, everyone gets dodgy questions and offers.

I'm curious as to why you feel someone else should pay for you to have had 200k+ use out of a Clio?

Honestly, a car with such high miles is dificult to shift. CS members however see this car as somewhat unique because of the high miles, hence it generated some interest. Therefore you've got some on here offering you a serious selling opportunity. To everyone else the only way this car is worth buying is if they break it for parts. They aren't going to do that as a favour to you, they want to make a few quid.

Yeah, thanks CS. What a bunch of idiots we must be, especially as it's thrown up your one and only serious buyer who is still trying to buy it off of you. LOL.

Whilst I think about it, you could've spent your £10 on membership, sold the car on here quickly and not had this hassle.

Now sorry, i'm not usually one for petty rants like this, but I'm all for standing up for this place and it's members. I apologise for the guy that accused you of shil bidding (whether it was a joke or not), but the rest of the rant was uncalled for. I think i've highlighted the reasons why! If you hate this place, ebay and the rest so much, the world must really be against you.

As you point out though, the scrap yard will always give you £80 for it.

Well that sums the situation up, thread should be closed after that conclusion ;)

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T

It got to £660 didn't it? I'd hardly call that a ridiculous level.

Just pay your membership and advertise it on here for £595 ONO, Chi will be down with his trailer in a matter of hours. On a serious note, it would easily sell on here for £450 - £500.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
It got to £660 didn't it? I'd hardly call that a ridiculous level.

Just pay your membership and advertise it on here for £595 ONO, @Chi will be down with his trailer in a matter of hours. On a serious note, it would easily sell on here for £450 - £500.

Cheers Ed ;) you know Im always after a bargain :)

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I think you're all being bang out of order accusing OP of wanting too much money/shill bidding to reach their target.. rumour has it that there was a full container of screen wash and also a can of WD40 in the boot which is used to fix the squeaky doors. Don't expect that to be thrown in for free do you?

Fiesta ST
OP is just a bit butt-hurt.

Pointing the finger and blaming CS for the bidders dropping out is completely retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.