ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

relocated battery to the back for a new airbox setup!!

CLIO PH1 172
Today i began something I had been putting off for ages.

Relocating the battery!!

To start with I removed the tar from the back (not essential but I did it as my box was going were some was anyway)

IMG00113-20100616-1337.jpg

People say its a pig to get off ect but tbh i found it pretty easy (a bit time consuming but nothing difficult tbh) i used some white spirit some paint and varnish remover and the best tool in the box - MY MUMS HAIRDRYER!! – and yes it was hot enough

IMG00117-20100616-1338.jpg

IMG00116-20100616-1338.jpg

IMG00115-20100616-1338.jpg

IMG00114-20100616-1338.jpg

I then used a metal brush bit on the drill and made an earthing point, this was then bolted down through the boot.

IMG00118-20100616-1341.jpg

I then lined up the box, marked out the holes and drilled through, making sure i was nowhere near the exhaust.

IMG00119-20100616-1341.jpg

This was then all bolted down tight!

IMG00122-20100616-1342.jpg

Now for getting the cable through to the engine bay, I cable tide it all the way along the wires that are already there, I then found this nice hole that was perfect to put the live through! It located in the passenger footwell at the top and to the left.

IMG00140-20100629-1954.jpg

IMG00132-20100629-1746.jpg

This came out next to the coolant bottle I found it easier to remove the container on the right as it just clips off. Once you can reach the cable you can pull it all through. At this point i then removed all the ecu bracket and laid the ecu where the battery was.

IMG00133-20100629-1746.jpg

I made a little bracket so i could bolt the ecu down (i also cable tied it down to make sure it didn’t move.

IMG00135-20100629-1823.jpg

IMG00134-20100629-1823.jpg

I then joined all the cables together at the front (bit of a bodge atm as i am waiting for my joining box)

IMG00141-20100629-1954.jpg

I also relocated this to the front as i didn’t fit with the airbox fitted.
IMG00136-20100629-1829.jpg

And now for the bit i was dreading.....starting it up!

AND bingo t started first time with no fire in sight lol
So i am now left with this

Before.
IMG00127-20100616-1506.jpg

After
IMG00142-20100629-1954.jpg

I’m really happy with it and all i need is a few little bits to tidy it up.

Comments please guys especially from the people that have already done this, i would like to know what i have done wrong or can change.

im still stuck woth where to put my ecu ?? its fit perfect and doesnt move atal but i would like it a bit mor protected tbh.

and also the cable i am using is 4awg audio cable? im not sure this is right tbh but it works fine (i will be changing this soon but not sure what to go for??

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Nice how much louder is the induction noise like that?

Someone will be along to say about the power cable. should go through that grommit rather than beside it as your cable is right on the sharp edge of the metal. I got 4 awg through mine you just have to stab it a few times with a screwdriver.

CLIO PH1 172
Nice how much louder is the induction noise like that?

Someone will be along to say about the power cable. should go through that grommit rather than beside it as your cable is right on the sharp edge of the metal. I got 4 awg through mine you just have to stab it a few times with a screwdriver.

yea it is through the grommit i just only had a pic of when it was like that lol although i just sliced the grommit rather than tring to get it through.

EDIT and for the induction noise its not a huge difference but certainly louder!!

CLIO PH1 172
Not a bad job that mate, well done.

Proper box used I see, is it vented?

thanks, this was another question i had tbh. its not vented atm but should it be? - all i need to do is drill through the floor and put a pipe on the breather of the battery right?

CLIO PH1 172
only drove it about 1mile since doing it last night lol. but it sounds a little louder will give it a proper run in a bit!

CLIO PH1 172
also ANOTHER question what have peopkle done with there ecu ? like i say atm mine is laying on the battery tray, but should it be a bit my protected ? where have people mounted theres?

Rusty Cup
good work Adam this has reminded me i really need to take my balls out of my purse and relocate my battery so i can try something similar with my magoxen, i was hoping that i could just lay my odyssey one flat but i cant be sure i'll have enough space till i start doing it :)

172 Race Car
also ANOTHER question what have peopkle done with there ecu ? like i say atm mine is laying on the battery tray, but should it be a bit my protected ? where have people mounted theres?
Ive seen some people wrap them in plastic bags before, which made me Lol.

As long as its bolted down it will be fine

CLIO PH1 172
people wrap them in plastic bags

also seen this which made me think i should try to water proof it ect... but as long as its ok i will leave it as is.

JUST HAD A BIT OF A PROBLEM THOUGH!

- i went to start the car and the fuse blew (that is running from battery to fuse box) so i was stuck with no tools ect, i managed to get to a 99p store to buy a spanner and allan key which just about did the job.

so now i am running the cable straight from battery to junction box will this be ok, i cant see why not ?

CLIO PH1 172
think it was an 85amp will check though to be sure!

i had started the car about 6/7 times before it went bang which was a bit wierd though?

Megane dci 130
You will have problems with your red fuel cut off switch at that angle.

Get it mounted up right so it doesnt trip its self.

Track 172cup
i would have thought 85A would be on the small side ? going off previous suggestions from people when relocating the battery

i was looking for advice about fuse sizes aswell for relocating mine

106 GTI
Dont the amps go silly high when cranking? Probably resulting in the blown fuse. Shouldnt blow under normal started conditions

CLIO PH1 172
Dont the amps go silly high when cranking? Probably resulting in the blown fuse. Shouldnt blow under normal started conditions

yes i think your right iirc its something like 350? (this could be totaly wrong though)

but why would it just blow once out of about 7 times ?

and will it be ok with no fuse ?

thanks for the help so far guys!

CLIO PH1 172
so after the small trouble of the fuse blowing - i finaly managed to give it a good drive with the new setup.

im really happy with it and it feels more responsive when puting you foot down (whether it actually is or not im not sure) but it certainly feels better. plus the induction noise is back

Trophy Turbo :)
The fuse is not needed but a safety thing. I run a Proper Bulk head joiner so i didnt bother with the Fuse, I have a battery On /off swith in the car so i can turn the battery live on or off in the engien bay

CLIO PH1 172
bulk head joiner, whats that? and how does it replace the job a fuse does?

i was also considering an on/off switch (think it necessery)?

thanks for the info andy!

172 Race Car
85amp is way too small. Id say 200 if your gonna have a fuse.

ECU is sealed as standard, hence the reason its in the engine bay and has no external water proofing

Track 172cup
i've got a 300 amp waiting to go in (using a Odyssey lightweight battery and i think they have a higher cranking amp - 550 amp iirc) not 100% if that will be the most suitable fuse or not but fingers crossed

i've got a kill switch waiting aswell, better being safe than sorry with the fuse imo, you can get them cheap online so not exactly much hassle or expense

172 Race Car
Doesnt matter what rating your battery is. Its down the the max current draw the car has.

300amp is more than enough for a Clio

CLIO PH1 172
what sort of fuse are you using calum? got a link? atm mine is just a glass one (used from an old audio setup lol)

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Ideally get your self a heat shield built, with out it our first one was recording very high AIT's which the heat shield resolved -

DSC01151-1.jpg

ECU laying flat is a tricky one with out making some changes to the gearbox mount brakcet or just mount it on the heat shield like i've done with mine -

DSC01248.jpg

DSC01251.jpg

( Currently still working progress ;) )

James

CLIO PH1 172
thanks james heat shield is defenitly something i will look into. and iv got the ecu pretty secure laying down tbh so i think i will leave it as is for now.

also james were do you have your red button thing located ?

thanks for the links calum thats the type of fuse i had in it but they seem to only go up to 80amp?

also when buying a switch will a lma budget jobby do is it it worth getting a fia one?

sorry for all the questions but im learning loads here :D

Track 172cup
ph2's dont have the fuel cut off button mate :(

Meant to write kill switch (battery) if you were meaning from my post mate lol

Edit: just realised you were referring to Adams post :)

Adam that one I linked to is a 300 amp

Last edited:
  CLIO PH1 172
Meant to write kill switch (battery) if you were meaning from my post mate lol

Adam that one I linked to is a 300 amp

sorry didnt relise the link was to an ANL holder mine is currently an AGU holder which only go up to 80amp but yes your right ANL goes to 300amp. thanks

Track 172cup
ah right sound mate, yeh that's why i opted to go with ANL fuses as they semm to go up a lot higher (or are at least easier to get hold of)