ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removed AMP no sound?

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Evening all.

Looking for some advice I removed the AMP from my Clio this afternoon this was located under the passenger seat. All wires coming from the amp I traced and removed. There are still a couple wires to be removed from certain areas but I thought I would check the sound still works. I turned the radio on and although tuned there is no sound. I perhaps have nievely thought removing the amp is purely an addition.

Can anyone please give advise as to what I have perhaps done or missed?

I do have pictures but will try to upload these later or if of use.

Thanks

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
You say all wires come from the amp?
Did the amp power all speakers or just a sub?
If all speakers you need to wire these to a power source ie back to the head unit.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
You say all wires come from the amp?
Did the amp power all speakers or just a sub?
If all speakers you need to wire these to a power source ie back to the head unit.

That probaly sounds right. A lot of wires. There were clear cables the type you used to get on old hifis which came from the amp. There is a thin blue cable which went into the back of the HU but didn't appear to actually be connected.
If this is the case how do I go about to get it back to a 'standard' setting?
Thanks!

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
The blue will be a switched live or remote. This tells the amp the head unit is on.

Guessing the clear wires are your speakers so you need to connect these to the head unit.

Start the easy way tho.
Are the original speaker wires still behind the head unit? Will be easier to connect these back up and then reconnect these at the speaker end.

If not you'll need to run the wires back through the car to the head unit.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
The blue will be a switched live or remote. This tells the amp the head unit is on.

Guessing the clear wires are your speakers so you need to connect these to the head unit.

Start the easy way tho.
Are the original speaker wires still behind the head unit? Will be easier to connect these back up and then reconnect these at the speaker end.

If not you'll need to run the wires back through the car to the head unit.

Thanks for this. Assuming the above is correct and without looking how do the wires get connected to the HU? I can picture 3 or 4 plugs so wondering where the wires go? You may have guessed I'm not an electrician!

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
As long as no one has cut about behind the head unit you will have standard ISO connectors. Simply plug in.

If on other hand you take the head unit out and have no plugs but a ton of loose wires then that's another story completely I'm afraid

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
My HU has a setting which turns the internal amp on and off. Don't need it when all the sound is going straight out the phonos ...

Can't remember what its called but check your settings for something being off....

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
As long as no one has cut about behind the head unit you will have standard ISO connectors. Simply plug in.

If on other hand you take the head unit out and have no plugs but a ton of loose wires then that's another story completely I'm afraid

My HU has a setting which turns the internal amp on and off. Don't need it when all the sound is going straight out the phonos ...

Can't remember what its called but check your settings for something being off....

Thanks for the above yellow Ph1 ers.
I have pictures which I will try to upload, the HU is the standard one. There were 4 plugs (two small, two big) all connected however just this random light blue one which I dont think is standard and appears to maybe run into the AMP but im not even sure it was attached to the plug.

Listerine & Poledo
even if there's speaker leads coming out of the head unit, they might not be hooked up to the speakers :(

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
even if there's speaker leads coming out of the head unit, they might not be hooked up to the speakers 😧

Would this not be an easier fix? or does this mean whole new wiring throughout the car

Listerine & Poledo
If you see some unused wires floating around in the door when you take the speaker out, then yes, get those re-attached and you should be fine.
There'd also be redundant wire in the rear "door" cards too, looks like all 4 channels were going through the amp.

Any reason why you dont just plug the amp back in? It's a good un.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
If you see some unused wires floating around in the door when you take the speaker out, then yes, get those re-attached and you should be fine.
There'd also be redundant wire in the rear "door" cards too, looks like all 4 channels were going through the amp.

Any reason why you dont just plug the amp back in? It's a good un.

I'm tempted, I assume the blue wire which goes into 'remote part' of the amp is for the speakers? This was connected to the HU but appeared to be very loose so not sure if this ever done anything. Would the sub which was originally in the boot have any impact from being removed? Seems to be have been done to a very high standard

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
OK let's get the basics confirmed. Sorry if teaching you to suck eggs here.

The three wires grouped together. Red is the live this should go via a fuse directly to the battery. The black is ground and should be short going straight to the chassis. The last blue remote wire goes to the head unit and is a switchable live.

The other 8 wires with red and black covers are your speaker wires. It looks like you have 4 speakers powered from it.

how many speakers do you think were working before? Fronts? Rear? Sub?

Working back to the speakers in the doors do you have spare wires from the loom hanging there? Are the new speaker wires actually in the doors?

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
OK let's get the basics confirmed. Sorry if teaching you to suck eggs here.

The three wires grouped together. Red is the live this should go via a fuse directly to the battery. The black is ground and should be short going straight to the chassis. The last blue remote wire goes to the head unit and is a switchable live.

The other 8 wires with red and black covers are your speaker wires. It looks like you have 4 speakers powered from it.

how many speakers do you think were working before? Fronts? Rear? Sub?

Working back to the speakers in the doors do you have spare wires from the loom hanging there? Are the new speaker wires actually in the doors?

Teach me! Think all of them but only assuming, think they are all after market speakers but have only looked at the front one's it also has nice wee tweeter things which sit at the back near the roof. So the new speakers look to sit as the originals in regards to spare wires I really dont know, I will need to check this and have a look. What should the original speaker wires colour be?

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
The 5th picture down, how much speaker cable do you have bunched up there?

Thinking easiest might be to get the wires from the amp to back of head unit and connect them there.

That or keep the amp but wire the remote blue wire in better

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
The 5th picture down, how much speaker cable do you have bunched up there?

Thinking easiest might be to get the wires from the amp to back of head unit and connect them there.

That or keep the amp but wire the remote blue wire in better

Sorry for delay, I still havent looked behind the speakers. There does appear to be a lot of the 'clear' cable type.

So how do I get the cables into the back of the HU? Ideally I was just looking to return to standard, teh thing which confuses me is that I have a standard HU and all the plugs in the back to look standard....

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Get a picture of inside the door.
Let's see what's connected to the speaker and what is hanging about then we can come up with a plan

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Get a picture of inside the door.
Let's see what's connected to the speaker and what is hanging about then we can come up with a plan

Sorry for delay with this, all sorted now, wries were unplugged from back of headunit then reconnected (at the rear of the HU) to the original wires, very simple but the amount of wires were daunting - thanks for your help