ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing 182 Sump?

black 182 both cup packs
Evening all.

So basically due to the incompetance of the local police service I now have a cracked sump.

I seem to have two options really,

1. A guy I know has a spare engine, his own ramp and used to work for Renault so should know what hes doing. He wants £100 for the sump off his engine and £100 to fit. Plus i have to get the car to him, 20 odd miles away. Seems a tad expensive, no?

2. The cheaper option. Remove the sump myself and get it welded.

But whats the best way to do this? Would lifting the engine slightly give me enough?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ant

Mondeo TDCI 130
You can get the sump out, remove the engine mount on the O/S, raise engine on a crane / whatever you have, keep jiggling, it will come out with the subframe in place!

Done my own.

black 182 both cup packs
You can get the sump out, remove the engine mount on the O/S, raise engine on a crane / whatever you have, keep jiggling, it will come out with the subframe in place!

Done my own.

OK will have to give this a try, cheers.

black 182 both cup packs
Out of interest what happened?

Was in traffic on way home due to an accident, just about to turn around and go another way when the police waved us through. At the end of that road is a T junction where the accident was. I would normally go left but this way was still blocked so everybody was having to go right where one of the cars had already been towed away and debris collected. Well all but one big fat chunk of metal left in the road. Traffic was still pretty bunched up so by the time I saw it come from underneath the car infront there was no time to brake/swerve. Hence cracked sump.

In my view the police should have made sure ALL debris was collected before waving traffic through, not that they saw it like that ofcourse!!

Sunflower Ph1 172
£100 for the sump too? I think i paid £50 last summer for one, and is a driveway job, not £100 worth.

Cooksport Fleet
Jack engine up, undo the 4 engine mount 16mm bolts holding the mount to the chassis.

Place a block of wood (4" high..ish) between the mount and the chassis. And rest the engine on it.

You should then have enough room to clear the subframe.

182cup & 172 racecar
The bolt's were the hardest thing on ours after I cracked it,Danny had to weld some normal nuts onto some of them to get them off.

But yes it's an easy job.

black 182 both cup packs
Jack engine up, undo the 4 engine mount 16mm bolts holding the mount to the chassis.

Place a block of wood (4" high..ish) between the mount and the chassis. And rest the engine on it.

You should then have enough room to clear the subframe.

Where do you jack the engine up from?

Mondeo TDCI 130
The bolt's were the hardest thing on ours after I cracked it,Danny had to weld some normal nuts onto some of them to get them off.

But yes it's an easy job.

agree, always gave mine a swift tap with the hammer when the socket and extension was on! Can be SHITE!

SQ5
The gearbox with a piece of wood in between, and undo the top engine mount nut.

If you have an engine crane you may find it easier using that as the jack can be in the way!

black 182 both cup packs
Ive managed to crack the bolts off, well all but three I cant quite get to without any probs.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I had to Dremel one the first time I did it!

New engine build I'm putting hex heads on!

good luck finding M7's :( f**king french

Dont round the bolts off of you'll be doing this

154289_140131179374045_120085048045325_216122_4740097_n.jpg

Attachments

• 154289_140131179374045_120085048045325_216122_4740097_n.jpg
    154289_140131179374045_120085048045325_216122_4740097_n.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 134
  Golf GTD Mk7
if it's the three that a normal socket won't fit on? I had to use a long thin socket and knock it on to get them off. Couldn't be arsed buying a bit that was thin enough with the correct fitment. They aren't torqued up too much anyway.

Cooksport Fleet
Get the right socket. Trust me!!

Jack it up with a massive bit of wood on the sump, depending on how bad the crack is.

black 182 both cup packs
Finally had chance to do this today (I know, dont ask!) heres where im at;

Top engine mount removed, engine lifted on crane, all bolts out and sump dropped but just cannot wriggle the bar-steward out!!

The engine wont lift up any higher and im fecking freezing now, any ideas chaps??

black 182 both cup packs
It seems to be the sprocket and chain that drops down into the sump im struggling to get around. The engine wont lift any higher, i dont know if its on another mount or something else but i dont want to force it.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
It seems to be the sprocket and chain that drops down into the sump im struggling to get around. The engine wont lift any higher, i dont know if its on another mount or something else but i dont want to force it.

get it ot the point where it's stuck behind the oil pump chain, then lift the gearbox end of the sump again

black 182 both cup packs
Managed to get this done. Had to loosen the bottom mount and jack up the gearbox by about an inch to give me the clearance in the end. But new sumps on now and we are running again!! Next stop discs and pads all round.

Thanks again for all the advice.