ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing acoustic valve

baically its a device which helps the car pass stupid EU drive by noise regs etc, free's up a little more induction snort once vanquished

b/g 182, meg tourer
supposed to get more induction noise and de-restrict airflow. i removed mine with plans to get a larger air feed.

all you need to do really is take passanger front wheel off, and wheel arch, unplug he electrics to the acoustic valve, pull rubber hose out of acoustic valve and block it up, undo bolt on horn/acoustic valve bracket, remove the acoustic valve and shoirt length of pipe, re-fit horn and bracket, refit wheel arch and wheel

b/g 182, meg tourer
the cliotrophy link/guide that curley posted is step by step and very useful.

if you are thinking of removing the acoustic valve, i would give this a good read!

Bumder With A Buffer
Or just be a cowboy like me and do away with the cold air feed altogether ;)

Cant really see it but basically as the standard inlet is too big my viper is too far forward at th mo to make a decent caf so just did away with it

14022009426.jpg

Cant see there being much heat soak and it gets cold air through the bumper... havent noticed a difference in sound/performance at all.

P.s like the tie wraps ;)

b/g 182, meg tourer
surely the acoustic valve was not connected to the viper anyway?

that bay could do with a bit of a tidy up

Bumder With A Buffer
surely the acoustic valve was not connected to the viper anyway?

that bay could do with a bit of a tidy up

WIP dude ;) (work in progress!) house is caining the car funds at the mo :(

no but it was connected to the standard airbox at first... then removed just before fitting the viper and didnt notice any sound difference.

b/g 182, meg tourer
WIP dude ;) (work in progress!) house is caining the car funds at the mo :(

no but it was connected to the standard airbox at first... then removed just before fitting the viper and didnt notice any sound difference.

aah, got you.
the valve is quite restrictive, air feed pipe is very small on a phase 2 1*2 also. better to just remove the air feed all together imo. nice sound and more air getting in. not sure performance wise tho. little bit of warmer air getting in. standard airbox with no feeds gets its air from a simelar place to a maxogen tho i guess

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Just rip it all out and get an Uprated CAF............If I can do it anyone can LOL

b/g 182, meg tourer
Just rip it all out and get an Uprated CAF............If I can do it anyone can LOL

yeah, i keep meaning to get some large ducting to run from behind the lower grille to near the airbox with no feeds. was going to go down the ph1 airbox route but its a tight squeeze to get in.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Ph1 Airbox, ITG Filter and 1 76mm Feed as the Airbox I bought only had 1 opening but I'm picking up a New Airbox on Sunday so will have 2 Feeds soon :)

Added a Pic -

SNV30743.gif

b/g 182, meg tourer
just going to run a large feed to the ph2 airbox for now. does yours come from the lower grille? looks pretty smart that tho.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
It used to as I had a CAF Trumpet in the lower grill but I swapped it back to an uncut one this weekend and am now trying to decide where to run them to..... Ph2 Airbox has 2 feess running to it.

b/g 182, meg tourer
It used to as I had a CAF Trumpet in the lower grill but I swapped it back to an uncut one this weekend and am now trying to decide where to run them to..... Ph2 Airbox has 2 feess running to it.

yeah, it does, but i have made a large battery cover out of lightweight plastic that should keep the cool air in the area around the airbox inlets (hopefully). lol. there is a thread on my diy battery cover, i made it today :)

plagerism ftw!

A short guide

* Remove (entirely) the air box, disconnecting both air feeds (one to the right and one directly under). Air box is held in place by two screws and jublie clips
* Jack the car up under front left, ensure you use a axle stand or similar
* Remove wheel, place neatly elsewhere
* Remove the underside arch-liner, fastened by a few torque screws and some fat looking plastic plugs (these just pull out with a tug)
* Watch for the small ribbed cable (battery acid overflow pipe) as its connected to the arch liner. Let this dangle somewhere.
* You will now have exposed the underside of your front bumper, note the bracket holding both your horn and the acoustic valve.
* Try to unclip as many of the wiring looms to both the horn and the valve, let these looms dangle somewhere
* Undo the bolt holding the bracket in place
* Tuck the horn assembly somewhere out of the way
* Remove the small air feed, no 1, simply turn it to unclip
* Remove accoustic valve by pulling it downwards and out of the wheel arch, if you meet resistance check looms are disconnected and path is clear
* You should be left with a large gap / hole
* Accoustic valve will be connected to a thin black tube, remove as much of the connecting bits, leaving just the tube.
This must be blocked off (or you will idle above 1000rpm) with a screw / bung similar
Tape the screw in place
* Remount the horn, reconnect horn wiring loom to horn, screw bracket back into place
* Tape up all looms and cover ends with tape
* Tape blocked pipe somewhere
* Once the valve is removed make any modifications you wish, i.e place your airfeeds etc
* Reconnect the battery overflow pipe to the grilled bottom of the arch liner
* Replace arch liner, fix with plugs and screws
* Put wheel back on, ensure wheel is flush to brake when placing nuts or you will mark your wheels
* Lower car
* Connect new air feeds to air box, replace air box, ensure jubile clips are tight
* Job done, admire your work.

Start car, check horn, leave to idle for 2mins ish - idle @ 800rpm ish?

182 Clio,IbizaCupra
anyone of you guys got your old accoustic valve and want to sell it?
I am after one for another project where I want to quieten somthing down
many thanks
bill

Clio 182 CUP In Silver
plagerism ftw!

A short guide

* Remove (entirely) the air box, disconnecting both air feeds (one to the right and one directly under). Air box is held in place by two screws and jublie clips
* Jack the car up under front left, ensure you use a axle stand or similar
* Remove wheel, place neatly elsewhere
* Remove the underside arch-liner, fastened by a few torque screws and some fat looking plastic plugs (these just pull out with a tug)
* Watch for the small ribbed cable (battery acid overflow pipe) as its connected to the arch liner. Let this dangle somewhere.
* You will now have exposed the underside of your front bumper, note the bracket holding both your horn and the acoustic valve.
* Try to unclip as many of the wiring looms to both the horn and the valve, let these looms dangle somewhere
* Undo the bolt holding the bracket in place
* Tuck the horn assembly somewhere out of the way
* Remove the small air feed, no 1, simply turn it to unclip
* Remove accoustic valve by pulling it downwards and out of the wheel arch, if you meet resistance check looms are disconnected and path is clear
* You should be left with a large gap / hole
* Accoustic valve will be connected to a thin black tube, remove as much of the connecting bits, leaving just the tube.
This must be blocked off (or you will idle above 1000rpm) with a screw / bung similar
Tape the screw in place
* Remount the horn, reconnect horn wiring loom to horn, screw bracket back into place
* Tape up all looms and cover ends with tape
* Tape blocked pipe somewhere
* Once the valve is removed make any modifications you wish, i.e place your airfeeds etc
* Reconnect the battery overflow pipe to the grilled bottom of the arch liner
* Replace arch liner, fix with plugs and screws
* Put wheel back on, ensure wheel is flush to brake when placing nuts or you will mark your wheels
* Lower car
* Connect new air feeds to air box, replace air box, ensure jubile clips are tight
* Job done, admire your work.

Start car, check horn, leave to idle for 2mins ish - idle @ 800rpm ish?

Bloodyell, longest way ever, quicker to take the bumper of than do all that lol. I did mine with bumper off as im doing vearious bits of bodywork.

Im going to attempt this tomorrow,

So after ive got the archliner out and unbolted some bits and bobs... i should be faced with the acoustic valve... does this clip onto the end of the short air feed into the airbox?

So i basically just unclip the Acoustic valve and take off the tube thats attached, just one?

Then block the tube with a bolt or similar and tie everything back out the way... job done?

Sounds a tiny bit fruiter, havent driven long enough to tell, took pictures step by step as a guide, but it explained itself once i was doing the job.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Mmm interesting thread. I haven't noticed any negative effects at all, but louder on throttle. No power loss tho. Might put it back on just to see, it's such an easy job.

Yep very easy job, explained itself, still took pictures for my progress thread however... definitely sounds a bit fruitier, only time will tell about performance.

2012 Clio RS 200
Hi,
I know this thread is quite old, but I am really asking for the step by step guide for removing of the Acoustic Valve. I highly appreciate if someone can get to for me. Thank you