ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing Catalitic convertor from 182, possible?

Hi everyone,
Is it possible to get a straight through pipe to replace the Catalitic convertor from exhaust of a 182? I assume the sensor after the cat would still need to be in place but will the engine run and will it run correctly?
With no Catalitic convertor it ought to have a little more power, slightly better economy and be more reliable so it could be worth doing. Obviously some method might need to be used to get through MOT when required, eg refit cat, but has anyone done this and what results have you got?

And where can you recommend to get this done, or just buy the pipe and fit myself?

Thanks,
Dave.

Thanks chaps, seems removing the cat will work and thanks 7MAT for info at http://www.yozzasport.co.uk/store/products.php?cat=17 . This pipe only removes cat but it looks like 1st silencer is quite restrictive aswel. I'll try to find pipe that removes cat AND 1st silencer, perhaps with a better silencer or perhaps without.

Has anyone here removed the cat on their 182? What do you think? Any more mpg or more power? Any problems?

Thanks again,
Dave.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
wont change the MPG, it will give you some better throttle response though and provide a building block for more bhp later on

Thanks chaps, at least I now know it works!

Has anyone with a de-cat system checked the MOT emissions?

I assume it will fail but by how much? What are the readings for each gas?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
^^^^ it varies quite dramatically from car to car each engine can be running so differently that you cant rely on someone else is reading

Lionel Richie
it'll more than likely fail, we suggest putting the CAT back on for the MOT, its a 30min job (1hr if you're going slowly ;))

Megane225FF
mine decatted car failed on emissions, something about 2 or 3 times over the required limit (lots of numbers on the screen, but didn't mean much to me)

I'm fairly sure de-cat will fail MOT on emissions but there are new fuel and intake devices which might bring it back under legal limit. If so then a very good solution but I was most concerned whether it would work at all!

The amount it fails by is a useful guide as to whether it's even possible to fix the emissions at all, double might be possible but I suspect three times wouldn't be. Try to make de-cat interchangeable is best I suppose.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
just to note, the first sensor should be plugged in not the second m8, it will not run with the first sensor out, as this alters fuel and de tects engine is running the second sensor tests the effectivemness of the cat, so if it is reading fresh air then its working very well, plug it in and you will get the light

Thanks ben p but can you clarify? Obviously 1st sensor need to be in place and connected but should 2nd sensor (after cat if fitted) be "in place in exhaust flow and connected" or connected but not placed in exhaust flow (just tucked up somewhere)?

And will the cat light come on or stay off?

Thanks.