ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing Ph1 172 Gear Knob??

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Hi guys

Bought a Ph1 172 shift assembly on the weekend, mainly because I want the gear knob (see below) to fit my 182.

I would like to get it powdercoated black/anthracite to match my interior, instead of the standard silver/grey.

Is it possible to just remove the gear knob? If so, how? Just force? If not I will have to see if I can just get it painted as it is instead with the rest of the shift assembly just masked up.

Ash

IMG_2773_zpsnpdfpwes.jpg

Clio II 172 RS Ph1
Almost created a new thread and found this one. So if I read correctly, this knob must also be pulled off with brute force? There is no screw base or...? I also have the round orb knob in my phase 1.

17465762435_07a9e3c032_b.jpg
Nelson & Ollie by Andy Ramdin, on Flickr

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
The way to get the knob out is to drop the cat, remove the heat shields and reomove the 4 bolts holding the gear knob in. Basically it can only be removed from underneath.

Clio 172 RS ph1
follow up question, does the orange bushing thingy on the bottom of the gearstick wear? i mean - could it be a source of sloppiness in the gear stick?

Clio II 172 RS Ph1
Thx for the pictures, so if I understood correctly, there is no way to remove only the silver orb thingy?

SQ5
The only way I have thought of removing it is to cut the plastic close to the knob, and then drill out the plastic inside.

Unsure how easy a Ph2 knob comes off to swap over though?

Clio 2.0 16v 182
I've seen some really horrific cats in my time. I'd argue the cut n drill option might be easier. Mostly because I want to see if it works

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Phase 2 gear knobs are held on by knurled section of the stick. Not sure if glue is used. Mine was held on by a game cover of Fifa 11.