ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing starter motor

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
If you go through the top removing the exhaust manifold, what else do you need to undo to be able to push the manifold itself back and get more room between the head and the manifold?

I need good access to the starter...

I took mine out at the weekend and didn't unbolt anything but the air box and starter motor.

Came out between manifold and up past the coolant bottle.

Not got a heat shield - hence taking it out as I thought I'd roasted it but it turned out to be bad earth on gearbox strap.

Bolts are on the gearbox towards back. Easier to get to with a 13mm ratchet or spanner with the air box and throttle body pipe out the way.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I don't have a ramp.

What do I need to undo underneath from the exhaust to be able to push the manifold back further?

Would I need to drop it?

330i. E30 Touring.
Nothing needed to be done on the exhaust for the manifold. Just undo the nuts and it'll slide backwards. Watch the gasket, it's like a f**king razor blade. Chopped my hands on it before a few times.

Basic guide here (it's been a few months since i've swapped one).

Airbox out. Battery out too if you want more room, but not 100% necessary.
Upper inlet off (takes 30 seconds and makes access to the manifold nuts easier)
Loosen/undo manifold nuts. All 10mm. The one by the master cylinder is a fiddly b*****d to get to.
Slide manifold back. might need to use a lever bar to get it moving.
Remove heatshield from starter motor.
Main starter wire is held on by a 13mm copper nut. Deep socket required.
Spade connector pull off.
Undo 3x 13mm bolts that hold starter on, down the back of the engine bay.
Wiggle starter and it'll fall off. Drop it out the bottom.

Fitting is a reverse of removal. Easy.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I couldn't get the manifold to go back far enough when I had a crack yesterday, but I did manage to get it to go back far enough to remove and re-fit the heatshield, so I might just do it through the drivers side and then undo the manifold to put the heatshield back.

dan's cast offs.
Heat shield will go back on with manifold I'm place, just hook it on before you bolt the starter on.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing needed to be done on the exhaust for the manifold. Just undo the nuts and it'll slide backwards. Watch the gasket, it's like a f**king razor blade. Chopped my hands on it before a few times.

Basic guide here (it's been a few months since i've swapped one).

Airbox out. Battery out too if you want more room, but not 100% necessary.
Upper inlet off (takes 30 seconds and makes access to the manifold nuts easier)
Loosen/undo manifold nuts. All 10mm. The one by the master cylinder is a fiddly b*****d to get to.
Slide manifold back. might need to use a lever bar to get it moving.
Remove heatshield from starter motor.
Main starter wire is held on by a 13mm copper nut. Deep socket required.
Spade connector pull off.
Undo 3x 13mm bolts that hold starter on, down the back of the engine bay.
Wiggle starter and it'll fall off. Drop it out the bottom.

Fitting is a reverse of removal. Easy.
Thanks for the guide.

I've taken the airbox off, I have two nuts loose, but the one that is nearest the front of the car, assuming the master cylinder one, is an absolute b*****d, it's in a melee of hoses and pipes, how can I get at it without taking more off? Also, aren't the bolts 13mm?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the guide.

I've taken the airbox off, I have two nuts loose, but the one that is nearest the front of the car, assuming the master cylinder one, is an absolute b*****d, it's in a melee of hoses and pipes, how can I get at it without taking more off? Also, aren't the bolts 13mm?
Ignore the 13mm bit, the three bolts for the starter are 13mm, the bolts for the manifold are 10mm, you are correct.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
So, I've fitted the new starter and the car now starts, but it seems I've messed something up in the process.

The car is idling at 2k, I have no throttle and quite a few lights are coming up on the dash. :(

Any ideas?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
So, I've fitted the new starter and the car now starts, but it seems I've messed something up in the process.

The car is idling at 2k, I have no throttle and quite a few lights are coming up on the dash. 😧

Any ideas?
Never mind, was the throttle body, all sorted now.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Holy thread revival batman! I'm currently having the same issue trying to get to the starter motor bolts. I'm off to buy a big hammer tomorrow it does anyone have any other suggestions before I beat the fucker into a cube of scrap?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
You've given me flashbacks. I f**king hated this job.
Want to come give me a hand? 😂 I've had the bugger undone when I swapped the gearbox but I'll be buggered if I'm taking all the engine mount etc out just for 2 sodding bolts I can see but can't turn.