ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing tints

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Did a search and saw everyone mention using a hairdryer and the blade from a stanley knife.

Tried it this morning and cant get it off, mainly because they have stuck it right into the corners so its hard to get it started. I also seems really well glued on and a very neat job.

Any advice, dont want to take the windows out.

How much would a tint shop charge to remove it?

Cheers
Mike

Evo 8 MR
Pull the trim back to get access to the edges failing that just slice it in the middle to get started. You'll need a lot of SRP to get the sticky residue off aswell.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Pull the trim back to get access to the edges failing that just slice it in the middle to get started. You'll need a lot of SRP to get the sticky residue off aswell.
I thought about that but i'm scared of scratching the glass.

I was hoping the residue would go away with some white spirits and fast glass.

clio 172 cup sport
i work in car dealership. all we do is take the film off and put window polish or your mams glass cleaner on the glue then scrape it off with a blade.

Dodgy one
i work in car dealership. all we do is take the film off and put window polish or your mams glass cleaner on the glue then scrape it off with a blade.

Clean it off with some panel wipe, No blades needed takes 5 mins to remove as the preclean breaks the glue down.

I'd get a blade in the corner and try get it started from there on the rears, Fronts pull the windows out

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If anyone cares this is how i did it:

1) Heat up corner with hairdryer

2) Use a plastic bladed ice scraper to get into corner and start off removing the film

3) Using the hairdryer slowly heat up the film closest to where you are peeling it away and gently apply tension to the film. Dont pull the film, just hold it tight, when the glue is melted by the hairdryer it will come away leaving minimal residue

4) If you have become impatient and pulled the tint off you will have more residue left that if you hadn't. To remove this residue use paint thinners on a kitchen sponge, the sponge will degrade due to the thinners but should last 1 or 2 windows.

5) Wipe over the rest of the screen with a window cloth using paint thinners to remove light residue

6) Use a microfibre and glass cleaner (i prefer AG fast glass) to give the windows a good shine.

When doing the rear window go as slow as possible so as not to damage the elements for the heated rear window.

Picture of residue caused by impatience:

4059299776_e2dfe189ab_o.jpg

Last edited: