ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault 5 turbo engine

Clio 200
Hi, just wondering if any1 has or knows anybody who has a renault 5 turbo engine? as a friend of mine is wanting to do a conversion in his mark 1 phase 2 clio, cheers

FLOL@ Budgie.

To expand on his point, your friend would be much better off fitting an F4R engine (2.0 16v from a 172) as its simpler and more powerful and less old and fragile.

Clio 200
Those 2 engines are not turbo though, and i believe he really wants a turbo, also are they not a straight swap i.e no need for a change of wiring loom etc?

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Tell him to join RTOC as theres loads of info over there, and that outdated push rod engine is still setting some awesome 1/4 mile times etc... so theres still life in them yet, plus tuning them is a lot easier than both the f7r/f4r engines

Ph1
There was a feature a while back in French car mag of a mk1 Clio running a Gt turbo lump. Was getting silly low times up the quarter

Black Clio GT
if he wants turbo then i would go volvo 1.7 for reliability as the chances are it will be standard and never had the boost turned up ect (you an get a full 480 with good sh for a few hundred quid)
if you get a 1.4 push rod i would fully rebuild it before it went any where near going in a mk1...

A

ashy_gtt

Nowt wrong with the C1J, such a good engine!! Like Steeve says RTOC is your friend... In terms of BHP per £ it runs rings round the F4R :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
The C1J tuned correcly and looked after will upset much newer engines for far less money. as said RTOC is the way for your friend

Rb 182
Does anyone know if the c1j engine conversion into a mk1 clio requires welding etc in regards to engine mounting etc. Any help appreciated.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
mounts will be no problem as you can bolt it on the subframe. maybe need to drill holes in the sub but thats al...

electrics wise wouldn't be too much effort cause a c1j only really needs + and - to run :p

Rb 182
Also what driveshafts would i be looking to use. Im guessing clio ones wont fit into the 5 box. And the 5 ones wont go into clio hubs. Or am i wrong ? Lol

Spooky

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT
I've done this conversion with Adey, we built the car in a weekend.

He managed to get it to pull high 12s at Shakespeare Raceway from memory, if done correctly...you will have a very quick and reliable car :D

Clio 172 cup
I second that, c1j engine is only as reliable as the person thats tuning it

Its all about the correct fueling to match the boost

A wideband afr meter was the best thing i ever bought for my 5gtt