ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio 172 issues (Throttle body & refusing to start)

2003 Clio Mk2 2.0
Hi there,

having several issues with my 2003 Clio Sport :( if anyone could help it would be awesome!

1) Car will sometimes refuse to start, will try to crank and then just stop, wont start. Car red light on hud is on and the hud goes nuts (the pointers for the dials jitter) Will work for a month straight, then it wont for a few days. Very annoying.
2) There's a unit in the overhead lamp that makes a continuous hum noise and it's the one that's attached to what looks like speaker holes. Started this a while back, but wasn't there before. I. Disconnected it, but does anyone know what it is and is it important?
3) The throttle bottle makes a high pitch noise (the black unit on it specifically) when the car is on accessories (also when it is on, cant hear it much then though) could this be part of the issue with the non starting?

Monaco 172
Mittay,

Mine drones from the Interior lamp also, I believe loads of them do it mate, there's a small fan in there which has something to do with the climate control. you can clean the fan and lubricate it and that can shut it up a bit.. i've never bothered. Cant see that would cause the problems you're having.

And I was told all Clios do that throttle body whining with the ignition on.

Hope that helps.

182 Inferno
I believe the above to be correct!
Starting issue - have you tried cleaning he throttle body? Ive had this problem with 2 of my Clios, simple fix!

2003 Clio Mk2 2.0
Ok, took the car to a Renault Dealer with a clip machine (250k's or so driving)

They said the plip was deteriorated (key?) and generates a poor signal to the decoder. Also that the decoder ring needs replacing. (all from notes)

I can replace the decoder ring myself for around $120 AU from the UK (Renault want $280+), but I don't know about the key thing. I spoke to a few key replacement businesses and they said that it was highly unlikely that the signal could 'deteriorate' from the key and that it usually either works or not and that the culprit was most likely the decoder.
I would tend to believe the key businesses as they were telling me not to buy from them unless the decoder didn't work as I'd be wasting my money, but I wouldn't have a clue.

Anyone have something similar happen or know about the keys?

Cheers - Tim