ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio HID KIT

172 Cup
As of next year these will fail MOT unless you have projecter lights and the headlight washers. just save up for a 172 set up with washers and projecters.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I'd look out for a set of Clio xenon headlights. They won't look s**t that way.

Renault Clio 1.2
thanks guys :), Blacky950 - do you mean 172 headlights with washers and projecters? i dont know much about hid as i mentioned.

172 Cup
Yes,The 172 headlights have the projecters in them as standard, and the washers need drilling into your bumper and connecting into the pump for your windscreen washers.

Renault Clio 1.2
oh right sounds pretty hard lol, if i get the 172 headlights do they come with hid's or do i still need to buy hid? or do i just need new bulbs lol

Honestly no point fitting the washers or the self levellers. Just swap the headlights back out for the old ones come MOT time.

172 headlights are Xenons/HID as standard, you just need to buy a complete set.

Renault Clio 1.2
Honestly no point fitting the washers or the self levellers. Just swap the headlights back out for the old ones come MOT time.

172 headlights are Xenons/HID as standard, you just need to buy a complete set.

hmm i think i might go with what you said, mot for me is about february lol, so might just buy 172 ones after :p have to see what sort of money i get for xmas lol

172 Cup
Yeah bit of a pain, but looks good. No they you dont they already have all the ballasts and starters you need, keep the standard bulb colour tempreture so it dosent look chavvy.

Renault Clio 1.2
Yeah bit of a pain, but looks good. No they you dont they already have all the ballasts and starters you need, keep the standard bulb colour tempreture so it dosent look chavvy.

yeah sounds like its gonna look really good. aww thats okay then lol, i was thinking about having 8000k colour tempreture i think it looks classy

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
im also an MOT tester and this is what it says in the NEW testing manual

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge
(HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps MAY be fitted
with headlamp washers and a suspension or
headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work;
however, it is accepted that it may not be possible
to readily determine the functioning of self levelling
systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt
must be given.
Headlamp washers MAY work in conjunction with
the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam
headlamps are switched on) or by a separate
switch.

reason for rejection
A headlamp levelling or cleaning device
inoperative or otherwise obviously defective

so after market kits will PASS the MOT

Yeah the MOT magazine scared a lot of people but doesnt seem as bad as that made out.

I would stick to 6000k HIDs, had them in an old car and they were bright enough

clio 172 phase 2
Whatever you do, don't do what this guy said. Jesus Christ.

why?

i have a 55w kit in my ph1 172. i did have the 35w kit. the 55w kit is far brighter and ive had no problems with them.

ill admit i didnt read the post properly and didnt realise he didnt have projector lamps

04 clio dci
quick question are the 172 head light units just plug in and play to the non sport headlight harness or does it require modding.

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
I bought i cheap set a while back that went into projectors, couldnt fault them for the few months they were on. Cars gone now though, there h1's, if that what the OP is after.

Liquid Yellow R27
I've recently brought a Clio 182 and don't know much about the HID's myself. What is the standard temperature colour in them? I have LED sidelights that I put in and they seem just a bit more blue than the HID headlights, so just wondering if I needed to get some 6000k bulbs for them or if that's the colour temp already in them.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
I've recently brought a Clio 182 and don't know much about the HID's myself. What is the standard temperature colour in them? I have LED sidelights that I put in and they seem just a bit more blue than the HID headlights, so just wondering if I needed to get some 6000k bulbs for them or if that's the colour temp already in them.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

I think the standard bulbs for 1*2's are 4300k, i might be wrong, but im pretty sure thats the temp.

Yup, 4300k is standard.

8000k colour tempreture i think it looks classy

How many "classy" cars come with overly blue tinged lights? None. How many s*** cars sat outside Halfords/Macdonalds have blue-tinged lights? Many.

Secondly there is a serious safety point here - badly fitted/very-blue HIDs can be dangerous. Even If you don't care about other people's cars/safety I'm sure the last thing you want is someone hitting YOUR car head on because they were blinded. Yes you can be blinded by halogens if you meet them on a crest etc, but you can be blinded by HIDs at much more angles/scenarios.

Blue tinge/high temp HIDs/Bulbs also attract traffic police who we all know are more than happy to find the one tyre with illegal tread (or whatever) needed to hand out a fine/points/whatever. Again, not good.

HOWEVER, I've just gone from a 182 to a car with standard halogen bulbs and the (lack of) vision was frankly worrying so I really do see the practical side of getting HIDs. However they only do good if they're proper ones of a suitable brightness.

/rant. All this ranting makes me feel very old, no idea how Munson etc do it :p

Last edited:
  Liquid Yellow R27
Haha, thanks for the advice guys. I want to get the HID Headlights and Full Beams to match with the LED side lights and fog lights. As mentioned they look just slightly more blue than the head lights at the moment, so would you advise going for 6000k colour temperature for the headlights and full beams?

Renault Clio 1.2
Yup, 4300k is standard.

How many "classy" cars come with overly blue tinged lights? None. How many s*** cars sat outside Halfords/Macdonalds have blue-tinged lights? Many.

Secondly there is a serious safety point here - badly fitted/very-blue HIDs can be dangerous. Even If you don't care about other people's cars/safety I'm sure the last thing you want is someone hitting YOUR car head on because they were blinded. Yes you can be blinded by halogens if you meet them on a crest etc, but you can be blinded by HIDs at much more angles/scenarios.

Blue tinge/high temp HIDs/Bulbs also attract traffic police who we all know are more than happy to find the one tyre with illegal tread (or whatever) needed to hand out a fine/points/whatever. Again, not good.

HOWEVER, I've just gone from a 182 to a car with standard halogen bulbs and the (lack of) vision was frankly worrying so I really do see the practical side of getting HIDs. However they only do good if they're proper ones of a suitable brightness.

/rant. All this ranting makes me feel very old, no idea how Munson etc do it :p

lol yeah i suppose that is true, i think its a personal opinion and everyone has a different way of thinking so your entitled to your own opionion, but if you ask me i think it looks classy. :)

Maybe "class" has a different meaning allllll the way up north :L

so would you advise going for 6000k colour temperature for the headlights and full beams?

6000k is often said to be the "limit" so to speak - blue, for those that want a little different, but not so blue that you get pulled over at every opportunity or get mistaken for being a c*** everywhere you go!

You could always try to get white(r) sidelights? It could be that the previous owner fitted some "ultra blue" (read "local maccy d rudeboi spec"). If you like blue then fair enough, I'm just suggesting white sidelights as they'll be a hell of a lot cheaper than HIDs. Then again as I said previously genuine HIDs are excellent. Hell nevermind the newer German stuff, even 6 year old french HIDs are excellent.

/need to learn to condense my posts.

BMW E34 540i
im also an MOT tester and this is what it says in the NEW testing manual

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge
(HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps MAY be fitted
with headlamp washers and a suspension or
headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work;
however, it is accepted that it may not be possible
to readily determine the functioning of self levelling
systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt
must be given.
Headlamp washers MAY work in conjunction with
the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam
headlamps are switched on) or by a separate
switch.

reason for rejection
A headlamp levelling or cleaning device
inoperative or otherwise obviously defective

so after market kits will PASS the MOT

Correct me If I am wrong. The only compulsory feature to install after market HID is projector lamp ?
Is the washing system obligatory as well ?

Trophy #392
Just get the 172/182 ff xenon head light units, everything is just plug and play and you won't be blinding everyone and change the bulbs to 6k, job done.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Correct me If I am wrong. The only compulsory feature to install after market HID is projector lamp ?
Is the washing system obligatory as well ?

nope can fit after market HID kits to ANY type of lamp and it will PASS and you don't need self levelling or head lamp washers

BMW 535d
so these will not work in the standard clio head lamp, or will they but they will blind everyone?
read through this and still a little confused....:S

so these will not work in the standard clio head lamp, or will they but they will blind everyone?
read through this and still a little confused....:S

They will work in normal headlights, but normal headlights reflect light onto the road, which combined with HID bulbs, means it scatters the light everywhere, unlike the 172/182 headlights that project the lights onto the road, cutting out the scattered beams.