ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

renault dealers and women

Hi

i cant post in the dealer section so here goes :

Why do so many car dealers (including our renault dealer) treat women so badly when they visit these places ?

has anyone a theory on this.

my fiancee was left in an upset state today by swan renault service so we cancelled the V6 clio order and took a stroll to mitsubishi (roll on the evo ;))

first dealer in ages who knew how to treat a women.

this is not the first time renault have been rude to my partner .

just wondered is it us or do other women have this problem ?

Volvo S60 T5

I recon its down to the dealer, I know at my place women get treated the same as anyone else.

Could of just been the saleman, perhaps he was a complete tw*t and upsets everyone, you never know.

What did they do to upset your other half?

they laid into her becuase she dropped off the car for warranty work.

chap started on her becuase she took my letter in outlining the water bottle repair and temp gauge replacement.

nothing too complicated, the car was booked in and when she and her friend turned up it appeared he didnt like taking instructions from women.

when i rang up i was informed this is typical of the "industry" as its male dominated ! and thats from the co directors secretary !

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

Most of them are like that, I went with my Mum to look at a new car for her, she was considering buying one that day, deposit, trade in what have you.

They either only acknowledged me, or comepletly blanked both of us.

Baffles Me.

Quote: Originally posted by 172Fast! on 01 July 2004

they laid into her becuase she dropped off the car for warranty work.

chap started on her becuase she took my letter in outlining the water bottle repair and temp gauge replacement.

nothing too complicated, the car was booked in and when she and her friend turned up it appeared he didnt like taking instructions from women.

when i rang up i was informed this is typical of the "industry" as its male dominated ! and thats from the co directors secretary !
OMG! That is terrible!! Glad you cancelled your order - serves them right!!

I have to admit that my Renault dealer arent especially wonderful, but then I dont expect much from them either!! Lol!!

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

did u cancel it properly, "oh hi, id like to cancel my order..yeh we were going to spend £27k with u but u cudnt b arsed to treat my wife properly, so yeh, well done on ure commission mate..."

that wudda felt so good!

Renaults policy is just to treat all customers like sh*te... Ive never had an apoligy for work needed on my car due to defects.

Lets face it the french hate the english anyway so why would they build us good cars!!!!

Mk2 172 (Silver)

when i first started looking at Clios i wanted the 172....walked into the dealership who had a Cup on display..when i showed interest the salesman turned to me and said..."thats a very big car madam!! the dymanique has the same seats and is the sporty model only with the smaller engine..what are you looking at 1.4??!!" and handed me the brochure and pricelist and told me about deals they had at the time!! He refused point blank to tell me about the Cup or the 172!! :mad:

i wasnt going to be patronised, so walked out and bought my 172 from another dealership who was willing to help...and always does. I get the odd grumpy bloke if i have to phone them up, but i just put that down to a bad day lol.

I personally visited the dealer today to collect the car and the manager decided to take a walk ! dealt with his assistant who was excellent i must say.

the manager told my partner off for handing in a letter stating the water bottle needed replacing ! and guess what happened today ? the water bottle needed replacing !

had the temp sensor on the wing mirror replaced also under warranty but I had the most enjoyment yesterday when after this kicked off by taking the phone call from the sales man.

I simply said we are cancelling our order of the V6 becuase of the Service managers treatment towards my fiancee and they do not need to contact us anymore.

My solicitor will be in touch with the Dealer Principal !

He did not have a clue how to handle that ! and didnt know what to say !

I then asked why we should pay £27,000 for a car when the attitude towards women is so shambolic ? and he could not answer.

I felt sorry for him really as he was a decent chap but I cannot and will not tolerate this "thug" mentality towards any women but especially my partner.

So i continued to state that if we bought the car - we would still have to deal with this man as this is the nearest service center for miles and that I would not give te company my money as this is the third time this has happened !

so...... conversation ended and I dealt with Mitsubishi and they were outstanding ! to the point of lending us an FQ 320 for the day !

No Judgement , No attitude, all the time in the world and answered every question.

Thats what I call service ! Knocked Renault into touch with this level of attention. I mean we could be "joy riders" but they still offered the loan of the car ! Amazing attention - and yet Renault wouldnt even help us part with £27,000 for a V6 ! then they went out of their way to abuse my partner - Its like they take classes and study to be this rude !!!

so finally we placed our deposit with the Mitsubishi Dealer and in 6 weeks time we get our MR-FQ 340.

The strange thing is we never thought of actually buying one of these cars for no other reason than the fact we wanted the V6 clio but a chain of events has left us livid.

1. remember Moose on here ? his car caught fire and the way he was treated promted us to write to Renault nealy one month ago about the fact some 172s catch fire for no real reason and we sought reassurances that this was a one off - and the response ??? Fek All Response!

2. Three times the dealer has treated my partner like sh*te and has left her feeling upset.

3. When we bought the 172 we were told we were wasting the dealers time !!! we bought the car without a test drive as no 172 was available and took 30 minutes to pay and sign form so how is that wasting their time ?

4. Three calls to renault for the V6 then attitude, attitude attitude going on about have we checked insurance blah blah blah ! im 33 good no claims, have a number of performance cars inluding a 355 so i think i can afford the insurance !!!

5. would not take credit card payment for deposit as they were too busy !!!WTF

Im my company if a client come to me with £27,000 I would bite their hand of for the deal even if it meant breaking even sometimes just to win the goodwill of the client in the longterm of gaining more business.

What with all this attitude - they are only car salesmen with cheap attire and dont even look like they make money (if im want to be arrogant )

so i called mitsubishi to see what all the fuss was about the Evo after reading the info on here so it went from good to excellent and we ordered.

it was sooo easy where dealing with Renault in my experience was nothing short of upset, hassle, insults, poor attention, and a real failure of what the 172 was about.

e.g they didnt know what service intervals the car has !

they disputed the water bottle

they disputed the thermostat problem

and these were all replaced under warranty !

and dont get me started on washing the car when told not to after applying Zmyol Destiny Glaze ! Well pissed off ! in fact Furious !

Now I know everyone has good and bad experiences of dealers but this is my experience and to be honest IM SICK OF IT.

The 172 will be going but we are really gutted , really gutted, Its been brilliant and one of the best hatches we have owned. Always putting a smile on drivers faces when faced with superior competition. And if we could we would still keep her but this may not be possible and we have had enough of shoddy Dealers at Renault.

Saying this , I know Mitsubishi could change and we may have experiences there which could be bad but Renault has stunned us with this "mass sales" approach and "minimum attention" once the car has sold.

I do hope we can still be welcomed on here if we do sell our much loved 172 as this forum is a great source of info and we have met some really decent people . so if we can still join the club we will.

Hope thats ok with the Powers that be ?

If we manage to keep the 172 I will be really pleased but im not sure at this point.

hope this info makes other women feel they are not along but as a guy , I think these dealers will always have business and can afford to loose the odd customer but thank cliosport.net ! for this site where you can inform others of these dated standards from Car Dealers.

Cheers Guys for reading this .

(forgive spelling - been a long day )

Pete

Its sometimes not better for younger drivers. I was 19 looking at a new Corsa with my dad and got completly ignored even though my dad wasnt buying it and told the bloke this a few times.

Least you did the right thing and cancelled its a shame that Renault and the rest of the industry should treat peole like this.

Hi Edde,

I still dont know what warranted this treatment .

When you buy a new car its always a big thing to look forward to (thats the kid in me ! ) but its often turned into a chore becuase of people like in my above post.

Sales people should address you and your dad - its not right - your money is a good as anyone elses.

Down to the dealer, not just women though, got really pissed off wiht this bloke in parts at Cov renault, he couldnty under stand that i just wanted the strut to hub bolts for the front suspension, and not the whole wheel hub, must have been through all the parts on the car before i got what i wnated.

Even tried telling me it must be made up...

Lots of Alfas

Such a shame that crap dealers put people off renaults, as they make really funky cars. Ive had good and bad experience, Renault Leicester seem to know what they are doing.

Its great that you stood your ground, now a nice letter to the co of Renault UK should top it off nicely!!

I can tell you so many stories about crap treatment but would be here all night!!

I always go where they treat me with respect, but Im always confidant and find out as much as poss about the car before I go to a dealer and after firing a few technical questions at them (that I know the answers to, thanks to web sites like this!) they always tend to respect me or skulk off coz they cant answer my questions!! :devilish:

When you buy a new car its always a big thing to look forward to (thats the kid in me ! ) but its often turned into a chore becuase of people like in my above post.
Sales people should address you and your dad - its not right - your money is a good as anyone elses.
Thats why I got a Clio instead the salesman there used to be in my position for the same company . Shame he didnt do me a better deal but you live an learn.

Well the garage lost the sale and unfortunatly so did Renault though no fault of there own.

There are good Renault dealers and sales people though same probably goes for Vauxhall shame one person ruins the brand.

I think its just a general motoring industry thing.

My mother was at a Pug garage looking at a 206 and the salesman was extracting the urine - She had spotted a few problems with the car and he had fobbed her off with "dont worry about it - all cars this age have a few dings". She asked him had it been in a accident and he said No.

I turned up in time to see that the car had blatently been in a shunt!! When I asked him about it (in a normal tone of voice) he said "dont start on me" and took off back into the showroom never to return!

We went and saw the manager to complain about him and the manager confirmed the car had been in a shunt. I asked where the super salesman had gone and was told he was feeling "stressed" and was lying down LOL

nice one Viv - knowledge is key! as the saying goes !

some of the dealers sales people know less about the cars than the customers !

I really dont understand why dealers are like this ?

Nice one 007.

I used to work to for BMW and we had exactly the opposite problem on the service desk. Of the service advisors only one had any previous experience and SHE was a qualified mechanic. The other two were top blokes but when it got too technical needed to refer.

Thing was male customers with technical problems would avoid her and wait for one of the blokes. Then when they got one of the lads and asked them it used to really astound them when they referred the question to our female advisor.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

I would have to say though, the place where I bought my cup from the dealer there was brilliant, Andy @ Lookers Stockport spoke to both my partner and I, and he knew that I already knew what I wanted, so went out of his way to make the purchase as straightforward and hassle free as he possibly could. He treated the 2 of us as equals, and when I had a problem with the rear spoiler alignment and it was catching the paintwork on the roof of the car, he sorted the bodyshop and took care of the bill (admittedly, after 3 weeks of ownership, I wouldnt be paying for it, but he offered to cover it rather than being forced into the decision). Also, I was given 2 sets of keys with the car, and received a 3rd key as Andy had "found a spare key"...I was amazed, so I wont say all dealers are like Andy, but he would make a good example for all the sexist idiots out there to try and attain his persona.

It doesnt matter who is paying the money...a mans money is worth the exact same amount as a womans money, so why treat someone different? No one remembers a place for brilliant customer service (its expected) whereas, for one piece of bad customer service, it gets remembered!

Reno dealers are a joke

I went in to one in leamington the other day and said I want to buy between 10 and 15 traffics at 11k a piece thats nearly 165k worth of business.

The dealer didnt have a commercial centre he said nearest one is in coventry he wouldnt get me the number or an address.

Total tw*t!

Walked next door and bought vauxhall vivaros instead same van and a dealer who was at least slightly interested.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

I personally visited the dealer today to collect the car and the manager decided to take a walk ! dealt with his assistant who was excellent i must say.

the manager told my partner off for handing in a letter stating the water bottle needed replacing ! and guess what happened today ? the water bottle needed replacing !

had the temp sensor on the wing mirror replaced also under warranty but I had the most enjoyment yesterday when after this kicked off by taking the phone call from the sales man.

I simply said we are cancelling our order of the V6 becuase of the Service managers treatment towards my fiancee and they do not need to contact us anymore.

My solicitor will be in touch with the Dealer Principal !

He did not have a clue how to handle that ! and didnt know what to say !

I then asked why we should pay £27,000 for a car when the attitude towards women is so shambolic ? and he could not answer.

I felt sorry for him really as he was a decent chap but I cannot and will not tolerate this "thug" mentality towards any women but especially my partner.

So i continued to state that if we bought the car - we would still have to deal with this man as this is the nearest service center for miles and that I would not give te company my money as this is the third time this has happened !

so...... conversation ended and I dealt with Mitsubishi and they were outstanding ! to the point of lending us an FQ 320 for the day !

No Judgement , No attitude, all the time in the world and answered every question.

Thats what I call service ! Knocked Renault into touch with this level of attention. I mean we could be "joy riders" but they still offered the loan of the car ! Amazing attention - and yet Renault wouldnt even help us part with £27,000 for a V6 ! then they went out of their way to abuse my partner - Its like they take classes and study to be this rude !!!

so finally we placed our deposit with the Mitsubishi Dealer and in 6 weeks time we get our MR-FQ 340.

The strange thing is we never thought of actually buying one of these cars for no other reason than the fact we wanted the V6 clio but a chain of events has left us livid.

1. remember Moose on here ? his car caught fire and the way he was treated promted us to write to Renault nealy one month ago about the fact some 172s catch fire for no real reason and we sought reassurances that this was a one off - and the response ??? Fek All Response!

2. Three times the dealer has treated my partner like sh*te and has left her feeling upset.

3. When we bought the 172 we were told we were wasting the dealers time !!! we bought the car without a test drive as no 172 was available and took 30 minutes to pay and sign form so how is that wasting their time ?

4. Three calls to renault for the V6 then attitude, attitude attitude going on about have we checked insurance blah blah blah ! im 33 good no claims, have a number of performance cars inluding a 355 so i think i can afford the insurance !!!

5. would not take credit card payment for deposit as they were too busy !!!WTF

Im my company if a client come to me with £27,000 I would bite their hand of for the deal even if it meant breaking even sometimes just to win the goodwill of the client in the longterm of gaining more business.

What with all this attitude - they are only car salesmen with cheap attire and dont even look like they make money (if im want to be arrogant )

so i called mitsubishi to see what all the fuss was about the Evo after reading the info on here so it went from good to excellent and we ordered.

it was sooo easy where dealing with Renault in my experience was nothing short of upset, hassle, insults, poor attention, and a real failure of what the 172 was about.

e.g they didnt know what service intervals the car has !

they disputed the water bottle

they disputed the thermostat problem

and these were all replaced under warranty !

and dont get me started on washing the car when told not to after applying Zmyol Destiny Glaze ! Well pissed off ! in fact Furious !

Now I know everyone has good and bad experiences of dealers but this is my experience and to be honest IM SICK OF IT.

The 172 will be going but we are really gutted , really gutted, Its been brilliant and one of the best hatches we have owned. Always putting a smile on drivers faces when faced with superior competition. And if we could we would still keep her but this may not be possible and we have had enough of shoddy Dealers at Renault.

Saying this , I know Mitsubishi could change and we may have experiences there which could be bad but Renault has stunned us with this "mass sales" approach and "minimum attention" once the car has sold.

I do hope we can still be welcomed on here if we do sell our much loved 172 as this forum is a great source of info and we have met some really decent people . so if we can still join the club we will.

Hope thats ok with the Powers that be ?

If we manage to keep the 172 I will be really pleased but im not sure at this point.

hope this info makes other women feel they are not along but as a guy , I think these dealers will always have business and can afford to loose the odd customer but thank cliosport.net ! for this site where you can inform others of these dated standards from Car Dealers.

Cheers Guys for reading this .

(forgive spelling - been a long day )

Pete
^^^^ thats gotta b the longest post ever!

I bought my first Clio from Renault Leed. Salesman was great, sale was smooth. There were a few little things I asked to be done on the car gefore I took it, remove a sticker and some other stuff. All done no reminders necessary. Lots of phone calls to keep me informed etc.

When I was in the market for another motor I rang them first but the salesman I dealt with wasnt there. I spoke to another gut who said hed see what they had available and riing me back. No call. Chased it up, oh well he said we have no Dynamique diesels in how about a 1.2. er...No. He said he would try and locate one at another dealer (he should have already done that IMO). No call back. A month after Im in my new motor I get a call asking if I still want a car. Idiot.

Having been in the trade my advice is if you find a good salesman / service advisor stick to em and ask for them by name. If they get to know you they will feel more inclined to look after you.

good points dangermouse.

we used to deal with whitehouse vw for years but the service went down hill after a decade of excellent standards.

My x went to Renault Swindon and *really* wanted to buy a 1.6 16v. She was not even acknowledged. She left and came back with her house mate (male), and was pounced upon by the Sales staff. After they said they couldnt accomodate her needs straight away, she left and found the car privately. That she was ignored I dont understand.

Also it seems - correct me if Im wrong - that Renault suffer from a lot of poaching of the best sales staff. The guy I bought my 182 from was very good, but mid way through the 6 weeks I had to wait for it, he left. After that the service was not the same (read: absolute CRAP). It was as if it wasnt their sale, so they couldnt be arsed.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Hi

i cant post in the dealer section so here goes :

Why do so many car dealers (including our renault dealer) treat women so badly when they visit these places ?

has anyone a theory on this.

my fiancee was left in an upset state today by swan renault service so we cancelled the V6 clio order and took a stroll to mitsubishi (roll on the evo ;))

first dealer in ages who knew how to treat a women.

this is not the first time renault have been rude to my partner .

just wondered is it us or do other women have this problem ?

I have to say that I have never ever been treated like that by Renault or any other dealers, whether I have visited on my own or with my husband. I have often remarked to hubby that the salesman/service guy or whoever, has looked at me and talked to me as much as they have talked to him, even when it has been he who is buying a new car and that includes BMW, Audi/VW, Peugeot, Honda, and Vauxhall.

In fact some times I have been told off (not really) by hubby for being too friendly with car salesmen as I chat too much and have a bit of a laugh with them. Two past sales guys still send me e-mails now and again and for one of the managers where we bought a car a while ago I made him a birthday cake in the shape of a car, which he wouldnt cut for ages as he didnt want to spoil it. Another salesman was moving house and I made him a cake like an olde worlde cottage.

I quite like some car salesmen and I usually give them a bit of a hard time with the haggling, telling them I watch consumer programmes, that I read all the car magazines, belong to a car website where we learn about problems with car salesmen, dealers etc and I have pretended that I have been visiting them as a mystery shopper :D I enjoy the car buying experience http://www.cliosport.net/forum2/smileys/smiley4.gif but there is the odd salesman who might be in a mood but should never take it out on the customer.

A lot of people seem to get done by Renault (dealers and UK).

Anyone thought of getting BBCs Watchdog on the case?

My mum had this problem at subaru, the bloke was so rude, implying that my mum was not only to old to be driving a sports car (shes mid 40s) but that she also woullnt be able to handle the power and be better of driving a fiesta!

To which she put her suitcase full of cash for the brand new wrx in the boot of her vietesse and drove off to hyundi and brought the brand new coupe (ok its not a subrau but the bloke was so nice to her and it left her some money leftover for bills etc)

How do these people feed themselves? They must be on commission so to turn away money like that they must either be thick or be selling so many cars they dont need the money. (I think the former probably).

Well its there loss, always wanted to walk into ferrari in my old beaten up pug and ask for a test drive and wen im turned away ill ask to speak to the manager show him my suitcase full of cash and say ur loss f**kwitt..

Ideal for wen you have won the lottery and want abit of fun!

[Edited by supasexyspeedy on 02 July 2004 at 2:02pm]

This is like a month or two back when my g/f went to the Toyota Coventry garage to look at an MR2. She had a 10month old 206gti of her own to trade in so obviously she could afford it. It was a saturday mid morning, yet despite there being salesman sitting around doing nothing, we were told we couldnt test drive it then and would have to book a slot next week, and to book a slot wed need to put a deposit down!!! He also told us how hed sell the car no problem (it was still there 3 weeks later) and generally treated us like sh1te.

So she went down to the MG dealers, Phoenix in Cov. who were extremely helpful, they gave us a demo MGTF135 for a whole afternoon, and my g/f liked it and so we went back on Sunday and saw and drove a lovely silver one, a 52 MGTF135 that she eventually put a deposit down on. At no time were we pressured in any way, we were there on Saturday and Sunday for several hours.

Now my missus was meant to pick it up a week later, but some documents were late coming from another dealer, so they gave her a brand-new 135 for a week until hers was ready, no mileage limits, no cost to us in anyway.

Well its there loss, always wanted to walk into ferrari in my old beaten up pug and ask for a test drive and wen im turned away ill ask to speak to the manager show him my suitcase full of cash and say ur loss f**kwitt..

Ideal for wen you have won the lottery and want abit of fun!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

trust me on this - ferrari dont carry on like that ! i can speak with 5 years experience on dealing with the various sales deps at maranello and certain specialists in southern uk.

ferrari dealers are not rude, impolite , obstructive at all in my experience. in fact they have to proven to bo OUTSTANDING.

I love maranello - out of this world.

Hence our addition to the family , the 355.

Its ALWAYS the "high street" dealer who judges poeple by image.

A little tip to who posted the above -

The richest people you WILL EVER meet dont dress up and often dont wear suits ..... reason been .........the have made their money and dont have to wear suits to impress - take bill gates, branson, Jay z, damon dash etc etc etc. Monied poeple dont need to show their wealth.

And with Ferrari they know that the person comming in with a knackered car can often be then next internet millionaire, premiership footballer (rooney!, giigs in his day, becks, in fact any premiership player) or just inherited the money and learning to drive in a battered car.

I for one will only give a cheap reliable car to my children to learn to drive in as the chances of them damaging it will be quite high.

but......the one thing that stands out a lot is the way some poeple act - if you behave like a prat you expected to be treated like one but if you act in a mature manner and ask relevent questions if you are buying then you should be treated with respect.

Money comes in all shapes and forms and often in the casually dressed customer.

Ferrari never treated me or my fiance badly in fact they allowed access to 355 test droves before we even asked any "buying questions " hence why we own one now and will always respect the sales people at these companies . They know how to treat women and this is my point.

Its always the small man who has personal issues who picks on the women.

Real men dont pick on women, if you make a women laugh and treat her with dignity then you are half way there ( a little dating tip chaps !! );)

In my experience the french dealers are worst, renault then peugeot,

VW are good and Mitsubishi are outstanding such are the Prancing horse.

I highly recommend a visit to maranello , if you act professionally you will come away with a great memory and will have something remember.

and remember some ferraris from ind dealers are not that expensive (308s and 3282 in LHD form)

cheers

Well Im not a girl and with Vauxhall targeting 19 year old new drivers I went along to have a look at what they had, being 19 and a new driver and all. Stood about for about 20 minutes looking at various cars then got bored and left as noone could be arsed selling me anything!

Yeah cheers.

whats the matter with these so called sales people -

if you came to my company we have a trict policy of making sure every person is treated the same no matter how much they spend .

i put car sales people on par with estate agents!

grrrrrrr !!!!

When I was looking to buy a new car last year, I went round a few garages to have a look around and ended up in a Reg Vardy gargage. there was a car that i was intrested in buying, took it for a test drive, etc

Then we sat down to discuss a deal and the guy came back with a ridiculous trade in price for my car, but said if i took out finance they might be able to do me a better deal. I didnt want finance it was gonna be a cash deal, so i told the bloke that the offer was too low and tried to do a deal with him, but he just slammed the papers on the desk and basically squared up to me and said well if your not intrested get lost? I was a bit confused at this and said well dont you want to talk about this. And he said I quite fancy a do So I just looked at him strange and walked out.

Sent a letter straighaway to Reg Vardy, and got a phone call the next of the manager apologising to me, was a total disgrace never been treated so badly in all my life! The manager even said just because theres one bad apple doesnt mean all my sales people are like that

Absoloute joke, moral of the storey never buy a car from reg vardy

hmmmmmm, this story reminds me of the motor trade motto"never trust anyone,never turn your back on anyone", or a t least it used to b in hertfordshire, and pete, u arent the only one, my partners friend bought a megane rag top, 6 months down the line, the engine blew. she spent 9k, reg vardys offer, 6k 206 and b thankfull, she got her solicitor on the case, her replacemnet broke down, the recovery driver, on hearing she had been freezing her tits off,"doesnt look like it to me love", so once again, solicitor invlved, my next car, wont b a renault, might b a ford, could even b a hot rod, but defo wont b a renault!!!

its makes me furious 172mgw to hear these examples and its like thomo52s experience. too many of these car sales people are "trash" and i notice something else with this industry. the turnaround of car sales people is extremely high ! i wonder why ! ?