ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault ECU Theory?

Evo
Is the below statement correct, or does anybody have any other beliefs on the subject:

'The clio 197/200 ECU has four different base maps on which it will constantly change and choose the optimal one depending on weather, temp, humidity etc.
When you get the car remapped only the 'mode' that its currently selected will be mapped, meaning you'll only use that map 1/4 the time.'

Example:

ECU Maps.

Setting one > Start up/Very cold
Setting two > Cold day ( Car mapped here )
Setting Three > Warm day
Setting four > Hot day

So from going off the chart above, the car will only run the expensive remap and extra power when its chose to run off setting two?
Any other time the car will be as standard and not benefitting from the remap.

Thanks for reading, any light on the subject would help as im debating a very expensive Standalone ecu upon this info.

Last edited:
  Evo
From other renault forums i've been on nobody seems to have a definate answer on this.

Obviously the mapping company that told me this could just be trying to flog me an Ecu i dont need lol.

correct on it running various maps, although I understood it to be a cold start map and a warm running map only.

EDIT: Who told you that? Out of interest and further opinion on said company may be available by PM ;)

Evo
correct on it running various maps, although I understood it to be a cold start map and a warm running map only.

EDIT: Who told you that? Out of interest and further opinion on said company may be available by PM ;)

So if the cars mapped on one, when it runs the other your losing out on the expensive remap?

Just a local company, i wouldnt feel right posting names up on forums.

Car should only run on the cold start up map on start up, for the first 10mins or so, the time when you dont want the new map anyway.

Just remember with aftermarket ECU you will need cable throttle, and thats not cheap to do on a 197.

Had a feeling you would say that...

So its KTR Sport (K-tec) Gen90 ECU which last time it was asked they ignored the question, so safe to presume does not have type approval for running FBW, so if it fails, you have no come back, other than suing them...

Evo
Not KTRs, this ecu is avaliable now from a local company with good reputation, although never dealt with them personally. Do alot of competiton applications.

Fastchip, do you have any additional information about operations on the ECU or any known benefits for an aftermarket over OEM with regards to control?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Mine lost its Renault patch for sure. Lasted two weeks. That's why i never had mine remapped. Also kevo's car kept losing his map when he had just the Cams fitted.........

Mine lost its Renault patch for sure. Lasted two weeks. That's why i never had mine remapped. Also kevo's car kept losing his map when he had just the Cams fitted.........

Kevos was probably more to do with the exhaust cam being 4degrees out.

I wouldnt touch an ECU that does FBW that isnt type approved for the application.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
but it was always fine once it left RS tuning........ only for it to revert back?

ITB'd MK1
definitely has multi layer maps. I'm not quite sure how these are applied to the running though. I dont think it's as clear cut as your post suggests, more that they're compensation factor tables

ITB'd MK1

So its KTR Sport (K-tec) Gen90 ECU which last time it was asked they ignored the question, so safe to presume does not have type approval for running FBW, so if it fails, you have no come back, other than suing them...

you do know a remap on the std ecu invalidates type approval anyway?

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
i know they run a live map so to speak were the car is constantly adjusting everything , hence why people having problems with havin a remap then it gradually going back to the base map

Clio 182
But this theory is only for 197/200? Not for 182/172? :eek:
After all I don't want to spend on something like mapping and then driving on base map. :S

Evo
But this theory is only for 197/200? Not for 182/172? :eek:
After all I don't want to spend on something like mapping and then driving on base map. :S

No your fine with the MK2s its only the shitty MK3s which seem to be giving every tuner in the country headaches and unhappy customers lol :(

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2

this is incorrect, I will post the regulations etc fairly soon.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
The environmental compensations are in loose terms after the base maps.

the ecu does indeed use Multilayer maps, a correctly administered map will make changes to the whole range, although some of the analogue maps are not used.

Again I will post some more detail when I have had time to compose a proper detailed reply, to fully understand it you really need to view the HEX file in the ECU to see how many there are.!

Andy

Evo
Ktec thanks for the input i was hoping a professional mapper might read this and share their views as so far all I know is guesses and assumptions from other enthusiasts.

Bottom line is assuming the map was done properly it will work on and have a benefit on all settings?

Thanks, ben.

BG182®
IIRC dont the Megane 225/230's have a similer issue when mapping to the standard ecu. Something along the lines of adapting back to standard.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I'm pretty sure I heard it being mentioned a few times.

Evo
Its been answered by the man himself.

It's a pretty vague answer a little more info would have been appreciated :p

I wouldn't be suprised if the meganes suffered the same problems as from my research it seems the two ecu's are similar apart from boost control etc.

Lionel Richie
would the real engine mappers please put their hands up?
certificate.jpg

Evo
Congratulations Fred, you must be so proud.

Now why dont you share some of that knowledge or are you just here to wave that certificate about ;)

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
I doubt he wishes to explain his knowledge......

Having recently completed a similar brand specific course the detail is massive!!

Andy

Evo
Okay so could we just settle the question in the simplest form possible:

Will a remap act on all settings? So as to say if i remapped a 197/200 will i always benefit from it? Thanks.

2005 Nissan Navara
The data contained in the ecu can be edited at any point, so it doesnt matter if there are condition dependent maps, so long as the correct data as been edited i.e to suit all conditions, so no the statement is incorrect.

SG9 Forester STi
The data contained in the ecu can be edited at any point, so it doesnt matter if there are condition dependent maps, so long as the correct data as been edited i.e to suit all conditions, so no the statement is incorrect.

Ok that will do.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
some ECU's have lambda target tables for the whole map, they will gradually aim to correct to that target.. so after time the ecu will trim the fuel to meet this. if only the main map is modified the end result will alter over time.

ECU's are like girls, you have to push the right buttons.
from what I heard
They both give me a headache as well....

rs r27
some ECU's have lambda target tables for the whole map, they will gradually aim to correct to that target.. so after time the ecu will trim the fuel to meet this. if only the main map is modified the end result will alter over time.

hi! i remapped 2week ago my clio197 after many work (head engine/schrick cams/v6airbox/cat200cell)

the same day of the remap the clio had very good performance, good torque and bhp:D

but after 5/6/7 days i think that the remap (and performance) is not the same of the first day!!:eek:

is it possible? with obd i find that long fuel trim is -30%, and i think that this is the reason! after the remap this value is 0%, after 10 days is -30%.....