ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Renault Sport Gordini Announced.

thoughts?

• I like it

Votes: 182 38.5%
  • meh

Votes: 156 33.0%
  • i don't like it.

Votes: 135 28.5%

• Total voters

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Completely agree with Roy.

Car manufacturers are slowly ceasing to make 'proper' drivers cars... They need to take a step back and create something a lot more raw, 205 Gti esque.

As for the RS Gordini 200, I really don't like it. Looks like a half arsed attempt to revive a brilliant heritage.

Gordini items, should only ever be created in Racing Blue as well, IMO.

Renault Sport - Please listen to your what your customer want :(

they have a new director and head designer, Dutch guy, laurens van den acker... He's calling the shots not a group of salesmen.

I meant 'sales prick' as in slapping a load of fancy trinkets on a car in the hope of improving sales, clearly with no actual genuine petrol-headed enthusiasm for the brand. Renaultsport are meant to be the enthusiasts department of Renault. Was this new guy involved in the 200 mid-term facelift? Either way, he wants sacking off. The cars are fantastic, they don't need glitz and tastless 'mods'. People will see that on the street and presume the owner got some Halfords vouchers for their birthday. They're even showing it off in the wrong colour. Super retarded?

Car manufacturers are slowly ceasing to make 'proper' drivers cars... They need to take a step back and create something a lot more raw, 205 Gti esque.

I can't agree with that. 99% of car buyers don't want a shed, they want a refined modern car. I have no problem with that. The 197, for example, is a far better car than the 182. My 'issue' is that they ruined the styling with the 200, and have now decided they need to sell a 'Gordini' special edition of it that brings nothing to the table apart from a selection of tat stuck on with pritt stick. It looks awful, and instantly devalues the Gordini name from motorsport herritage to cheapo special edition.

I stress again, good luck getting the rims replaced under warranty when they bubble up and corrode, which is a certainty. Fancy schmancy lacquered rims on a car with alleged motorsport intentions? Have a word. They've done the same with the Megane 250 19" wheels too.

Hmmm. That all probably sounds as though I'm a bit more bothered about it than I really am. I just think it's a step in a very wrong direction. Look where Peugeot ended up in terms of drivers cars...

Sack this man! The steering wheel alone constitutes gross misconduct :rasp:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Did someone say... Malta blue :cool:

Saw these wheels on a black 200 that had the anthracite pack, definatly better than the standard things.

Other than that its a stupid revitalization of an old brand because the "F1 team" one doesn't have the same value now they have lost everything. This is like a stupid wet version of that. Lots of shiney things on the car for Mr. Salesman to gloat about.

Mountune Tractor
I meant 'sales prick' as in slapping a load of fancy trinkets on a car in the hope of improving sales, clearly with no actual genuine petrol-headed enthusiasm for the brand. Renaultsport are meant to be the enthusiasts department of Renault. Was this new guy involved in the 200 mid-term facelift? Either way, he wants sacking off. The cars are fantastic, they don't need glitz and tastless 'mods'. People will see that on the street and presume the owner got some Halfords vouchers for their birthday. They're even showing it off in the wrong colour. Super retarded?

I can't agree with that. 99% of car buyers don't want a shed, they want a refined modern car. I have no problem with that. The 197, for example, is a far better car than the 182. My 'issue' is that they ruined the styling with the 200, and have now decided they need to sell a 'Gordini' special edition of it that brings nothing to the table apart from a selection of tat stuck on with pritt stick. It looks awful, and instantly devalues the Gordini name from motorsport herritage to cheapo special edition.

I stress again, good luck getting the rims replaced under warranty when they bubble up and corrode, which is a certainty. Fancy schmancy lacquered rims on a car with alleged motorsport intentions? Have a word. They've done the same with the Megane 250 19" wheels too.

Hmmm. That all probably sounds as though I'm a bit more bothered about it than I really am. I just think it's a step in a very wrong direction. Look where Peugeot ended up in terms of drivers cars...

Sack this man! The steering wheel alone constitutes gross misconduct :rasp:

I liked it when I first saw the photo's but having read your post I've changed my mind. This is not just about a new model or a fancy special edition, this is about the heritage of Renaultsport and attaching such a car to the gordini label is a MAJOR FAIL imo.
I think RS UK really need to pay attention to some of the enthusiasts on sites like this and take it on board from the people who care and the people who will actually buy such a brand. Meh.

Can we have a 'devalues the brand' option? If anything, a Gordini version should be an R26.R like more hardcore version of the Cup.

Unusual for Renaultsport to be involved in such a cynical marketing-driven special, I assume this is driven more by Renault wanting a slice of sort of buyers who currently throw money at Mini Cooper S / 500 Abarth with loads of options etc. Ironically, exactly the sort of people who probably have no knowledge or interest of the Gordini heritage.

Not sure on the 'proper drivers car' thing though, not from a financial perspective anyhow. The R26.R - despite incredible blanket press coverage - struggled to set the world alight in terms of sales. We talk the talk with focused specials, but the sales figures don't back that up...most people want enough creature comforts to drive the weight back up anyway (I'm always amazed at how many people 'need' aircon in our mild climate, for example).

Last edited:
  Renaultsport 220T
I think that there is also a flaw in this 'retro' Gordini bandwagon jumping on thing.

The marketing department obviously looked at what Fiat did with Arbath and the success they had with the 500. Great, that worked, as the original product was a design classic.

Let's not confuse that with what Renault have done with the Gordini brand in the past.

A design classic, I think not.

800px-R12_Gordini_2009-05-21.jpg

Why have the stripes swapped sides from the 182?

It looks quite likely that the stripes are on the same side as the steering wheel, with the wheel itself continuing the theme. Two white stripes. Well done, like a centre marker but with double the lines. Like a 200% centre marker. It'll be a piece of piss winding in a spot of oppo with that.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nice posts Roy, very right in what you're saying and I agree people aren't looking for 205 gti's or Williams' anymore, those days are well gone, look at your RS Roy the perfect example of a high performance car with more creature comforts than most need.

Tbf things like a r26.r and maybe even a stripped lightweight FRS (possibly) are a niche market and can come under special edition.
Not like they will be making 5000 of them.

To me the Gordini has missed a trick and an entire market of buyers by doing that to a 200.

It would probably have been cheaper to make a R28 or a R28.r model of the 200 ffs!

look at your RS Roy the perfect example of a high performance car with more creature comforts than most need.

No s**t. I got in it yesterday morning. It switched on the heated windscreen, waited a couple of minutes and then wiped it for me. Awesome TBH :cool:

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
i voted meh because I couldn't decide, that was until I saw the last pics and I'd definitely vote I don't like it now.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
No s**t. I got in it yesterday morning. It switched on the heated windscreen, waited a couple of minutes and then wiped it for me. Awesome TBH :cool:
I honestly don't want to own another car that doesn't have a heated windscreen, it's such a simple thing that brings so much joy.

Yours is more 'quick clear' mines is like wait 10 minutes!

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
they have a new director and head designer, Dutch guy, laurens van den acker... He's calling the shots not a group of salesmen.

I actually quite like Van Den Ackers design style (I loved the nagare concepts that he did and the way that took mazda) I just hope that he's not really had anything to do with the 200 or this pathetic gordini since hes only been there a year..

Listerine & Poledo
maybe, like Abarth, the Gordini name needs to be dragged through the mud with a load of wheel 'n' sticker "specials" before it gets a product worth talking about.

Fiat Stilo Abarth anybody?

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
maybe, like Abarth, the Gordini name needs to be dragged through the mud with a load of wheel 'n' sticker "specials" before it gets a product worth talking about.

Fiat Stilo Abarth anybody?

We can only hope it turns into something significant (or just accept this failure and sack it off), although fiat revived the 'Abarth' name to add weight to a whole new range of performance models, Renault dont need to do that. As they already have the well respected "RenaultSport" brand aswell as a range of "warm" hatches. The only direction this should have taken is one of a proper special edition, more power, less weight, better suspension take your pick.. :)

Listerine & Poledo
We can only hope it turns into something significant (or just accept this failure and sack it off), although fiat revived the 'Abarth' name to add weight to a whole new range of performance models, Renault dont need to do that. As they already have the well respected "RenaultSport" brand aswell as a range of "warm" hatches. The only direction this should have taken is one of a proper special edition, more power, less weight, better suspension take your pick.. :)

a Twingo Gordini Turbo?

a stripped out mid-engine number?

Oh dear- Horrible! MK1 FRS interior springs to mind. A Gordini MUST be special- engine or chassis wise, stickers and funny wheels arent the way to improve the 200. What happened to the Cup/Trophy ethos??:S

I wonder if that fish lip on the front grill could be removed? Wheels could be easily replaced. Bit of respraying on the wing mirrors and I suppose the steering wheel could be replaced as well...might start to look a bit better then...oh wait...correction...surely it would be just a 200 then, wouldn't it???? on the plus side...looks like that hidious yellow rev counter has been replaced!

Nah...not for me! Should have made it a 'special' limited edition like the trophy!

I wonder if that fish lip on the front grill could be removed? Wheels could be easily replaced. Bit of respraying on the wing mirrors and I suppose the steering wheel could be replaced as well...might start to look a bit better then...oh wait...correction...surely it would be just a 200 then, wouldn't it???? on the plus side...looks like that hidious yellow rev counter has been replaced!

Nah...not for me! Should have made it a 'special' limited edition like the trophy!

Or just buy an R27?

Hellish. Looks like one of those "dealer special" MK3s that had wolfrace wheels and stupid stickers.

320d M Sport
I've been on this forum 8 yrs, I NEVER post in this section....but FEK me, that is terrible..I honestly think the 200 doesn't look sporty?!

Maybe I'm getting old?!