ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replaced front springs, car wont start!

JCJ

Clio 182
Hi, I'm new to this... any help would be appreciated! As the title suggests, I replaced my front springs today on my 182 for some eibach sportlines.
I'm def. no mechanic but it looked 'easy' enough so I thought I would give it a bash. After replacing the front 2, I jumped in my car to turn it around and then do the back.

Problem is the car would't start. There are 2 bolts holding the suspension strut in place. One of these would not come out so I gave it a few whacks with a hammer. In the process I caught the abs wire by accident. I did't think anything of it as it looked fine, nothing was split, cracked or damaged.

The abs light comes on when I turn the engine over and there is a clicking noise behind the dash, the speedo jumps very slightly as well. These are all new noises i have't heard before. First time I turned the engine, it nearly started then nothing.

Question is... could the wire be damaged internally and would this cause the car to not start, seems weird to me that it would.

Any suggestions how I could fix this, anything would be really helpfull as I need the car for work!

Thanks, Jason.

Ahh sorry chap didn't read your post properly. If it's turning over labouriously and slowly the battery could be nearly flat. The clicking you mentioned is normally a flat battery. Could just need a jump, do you have any leads and a mate near by?

JCJ

Clio 182
I'll look again. Could a damaged abs wire cause the car to not start? Abs light is coming on when I turn the key.

JCJ

Clio 182
Ahh sorry chap didn't read your post properly. If it's turning over labouriously and slowly the battery could be nearly flat. The clicking you mentioned is normally a flat battery. Could just need a jump, do you have any leads and a mate near by?
I'm pretty sure the battery is fine, the starter motor is turning the engine as well as it always has. The clicking I referred to is not coming from the engine bay, it sounds like its from behind the dash.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
clicking from behind the dash will be a relay. now to worry about.

give it a jump start, or put annother battery in. then try and see what happens. failing that, if it dont start, something else has happened

JCJ

Clio 182
Thanks guys, gonna get some leads. Hopefully it is just the battery. Thought I'd f***ed something right up!
Will post if all is sorted, otherwise it seems a bit of a mystery!

killed the battery changing springs?????

Remove the arch liners and follow the wire back to the connecter check its not disconnected push it back together and try and start it again.

only way you would have killed the battery is if you left the doors, boot,ignition on for a fair amount of time!!

CursedTitanium 182FF
Try bump starting it, then take it for a short run (4-5 miles) then switch it off and try starting it again. I had a similar issue last night and bumping it fixed it weirdly enough.

JCJ

Clio 182
Spoke to a mate of mine, used to work as an engineer for jaguar/landrover... explained everything. He's pretty convinced its not the battery.
He suggested the inertia fuel switch ( if the car has one ) where would that be??? Or I have disturbed a wire somewhere.
Have tried my spare key/imm. Will check tomorrow for spark when I turn the engine over and for any loose connections.
I have been told abs should not affect the starting of the car.

JCJ

Clio 182
Try bump starting it, then take it for a short run (4-5 miles) then switch it off and try starting it again. I had a similar issue last night and bumping it fixed it weirdly enough.
I'm still going to try jump starting it but that will have to wait for tomorrow. My mate with the jump leads is pissed so cant drive out to me.

2002 Clio 172 Cup
Has the immobiliser light on the dash gone out after putting the key in the ignition? or is it still illuminated?

2002 Clio 172 Cup
I'm still going to try jump starting it but that will have to wait for tomorrow. My mate with the jump leads is pissed so cant drive out to me.

Try a bump start mate. I have successfully done it on my own you just need a little bit extra road on your own :rasp:

killed the battery changing springs?????

Remove the arch liners and follow the wire back to the connecter check its not disconnected push it back together and try and start it again.

only way you would have killed the battery is if you left the doors, boot,ignition on for a fair amount of time!!

Spoke to a mate of mine, used to work as an engineer for jaguar/landrover... explained everything. He's pretty convinced its not the battery.
He suggested the inertia fuel switch ( if the car has one ) where would that be??? Or I have disturbed a wire somewhere.
Have tried my spare key/imm. Will check tomorrow for spark when I turn the engine over and for any loose connections.
I have been told abs should not affect the starting of the car.

damaged or disconnected the abs sensor wire!! its not the battery, plus they don't have an interia fuel cut off switch

JCJ

Clio 182
ABS sensor wire wont effect the engine running
Cheers. I've been looking for a definitive answer for that, so I can be sure it's not something I've done by hitting the wire.
Daniel (fatty mcburger) told me he's cut a sensor off and the car still ran, no problems.

JCJ

Clio 182
Just an update for anyone who may have a similar problem. Waiting for recovery, thought I would try one more time and the car started...

Had a chat with the guy and he says its the battery and immobiliser. Even though the battery is still turning the engine over quite strongly, so you think it's fine,
if its slightly low (12v or less) it may not send a signal to switch the immobiliser off.

Looks like new battery time. If anyone has this problem, he suggested turn the ignition on and wait 2 minutes to be sure the immobiliser is off- then start the car.

Thanks everyone for their help.