ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacement lid for 15" MBP - how much?

A silver one
I FEEL SICK!!!

I ordered my MBP on July 28th. It arrived on August 8th. Last night I went to charge it and MagSafe charger came apart as I picked it up and the plug hit the lid :dead:

Imagine your Mac open on your knee. Now close it. At the very front left, just on the curve, it's left the tiniest scratch (probably less than half a mm), but I know it's there and I'm struggling to use the Mac without thinking about it.

I took out the extended AppleCare, but that doesn't accidental or cosmetic damage. Please can somebody give me the bad news and tell me a rough idea of how much it will cost to get replaced?

cheers,
Matt

Last edited:
Yeah the first scratch is always the worst. Just try not to think about it as hard as that is I know.
Wait until it has a few more and you won't be think about that one anymore lol.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
I FEEL SICK!!!

I ordered my MBP on July 28th. It arrived on August 8th. Last night I went to charge it and MagSafe charger came apart as I picked it up and the plug hit the lid :dead:

Imagine your Mac open on your knee. Now close it. At the very front left, just on the curve, it's left the tiniest scratch (probably less than half a mm), but I know it's there and I'm struggling to use the Mac without thinking about it.

I took out the extended AppleCare, but that doesn't accidental or cosmetic damage. Please can somebody give me the bad news and tell me a rough idea of how much it will cost to get replaced?

cheers,
Matt

Jesus christ

LY 182
I have a little scratch of similar nature on my MBP. I felt bad at first but sometimes you just can't avoid it.

I had to take mine to the Apple store for a different reason and I asked about the lid. Pretty sure they said upwards of a few hundred. :coffee:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I dinted my top case (where the speakers are) and was well pissed off, but was quoted £300+ to fix.

Luckily a few weeks later apple did a poor warranty repair on it and gave me brand new one to compensate, glad i never got it fixed now!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I did the exact same thing a year ago. It made me feel sick, so I know what you mean... only worse as I actually dented mine.

The exact cost is £487 inc. VAT and labour. I just checked the quote from Apple that I kept.

In the end, my iSight camera packed up so they replaced the whole lid/LCD for free under Applecare. :eek:

In the meantime, I bought this to cover the damage. It's an iCarbons skin. About £20.

Luckily, my new MBP and iMac have stayed mint, as I rarely move them without some form of case nowadays. lol.

07c297a8.png

Last edited:
  A silver one
The exact cost is £487 inc. VAT and labour. I just checked the quote from Apple that I kept.

In the end, my iSight camera packed up so they replaced the whole lid/LCD for free under Applecare. :eek:

In the meantime, I bought this to cover the damage. It's an iCarbons skin. About £20.

Luckily, my new MBP and iMac have stayed mint, as I rarely move them without some form of case nowadays. lol.

07c297a8.png

Cheers Christopher. That's mega money to sort out a tiny scratch (especially as may happen again...)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Can anyone recommend a case .. sort of like this: Spec case ? If not, I'll buy one of those and see what happens !

My 2009 MB 13" has a few scratches and blemishes on it. Not really fussed but wouldn't mind a cover on it now to, er, cover them up. Should have got one from day one but never mind !

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Most 'hard shell' cases cause more damage that they protect from! lol.

Just buy a nice, plush carry case for it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I scratched my lid this weekend taking it to ^^ that blokes house.

FFS.

I have a nice, smart Ted Baker case for it too, but I just slung it in a bag full of stuff and didn't worry.

Fudge.

Here's to hoping it dies a death in the next two years and I get a new one under applecare.