ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing Ktec Top Mounts - Leftover holes..

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,

Going to be buying a set of AST Top mounts for the PH1 after having the Ktec ones, as all they do is knock, despite being greased regularly and maintained.

Is there anything wrong with having the 3 holes left over from the installation of them?

As I understand it the AST ones require no drilling, and so I will be left with 3 holes in both strut tops.

Will this cause any structural problem? Or is it all gooooooood?

Cheers guys!

Nick

ITB'd MK1
did you have the old gold ones? they were all fixed free if you had the knocking issue, and the black ones don't have a problem as they had a better bearing used. Have to ask what suspension you're using too? Not H&R by any chance is it?

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
did you have the old gold ones? they were all fixed free if you had the knocking issue, and the black ones don't have a problem as they had a better bearing used. Have to ask what suspension you're using too? Not H&R by any chance is it?

I do have the old gold ones!
But I opened a thread about the knocking and Sean from Ktec said they couldnt be replaced as they were second hand :(
Im using something that is hated much more here on CS... Gaz GHA's ;)

Cheers

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Probably..
But when the cars jacked up and you try lifting the wheel up and down, the bearing in the top mount knocks up and down.
So they are definitely fooked.

Still didnt answer my original question ;)

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
LOL, so they'll knock with perfect condition top mounts anyway then

Really?

I dont understand why everyone slates Gaz? Myn have never knocked on my MK1 and my mates have never knocked on his MK2 Ph1 and MK2 Ph2 :s

is this a common problem with Gaz products or is it cliosport dont like them because of other brands around the same price that are available on the market are better?

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Really?

I dont understand why everyone slates Gaz? Myn have never knocked on my MK1 and my mates have never knocked on his MK2 Ph1 and MK2 Ph2 :s

is this a common problem with Gaz products or is it cliosport dont like them because of other brands around the same price that are available on the market are better?

I dont understand either.. I have never had any problems with mine to date.
The knocking I am experiencing is definitely from the top mounts, not the coilover units.

I think the reason they are slated so much is because someone with a good reputation on here has turned around the said they are rubbish from their own personal experience. In turn, everyone feels the need to copy said persons opinion on a product, and so it spreads like bacteria, regardless if the person slating the product has had personal experience or not.
Definitely not directed at everyone on here before I get shot down for voicing my opinion.

Meh, Im not too bothered what people say, they work. I got them cheap, end of :).

ill never buy gaz again!!! LOL

:cool:

So back to the reason this thread was opened!
If anybody could actually help out with my query instead of insulting my choice of suspension I would muchly appreciate it :)

ITB'd MK1
The holse will be fine, you don't need to do anything

Really?

and then a few hours later on facebook, they're off to be repaired :p

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
The holse will be fine, you don't need to do anything

and then a few hours later on facebook, they're off to be repaired :p

Not to be repaired to be checked as the A13 near me has lots of pot holes and i hit a deep one so wanted them to check them over. They said they were fine. And because i took them off to take them down there they re-oiled them free of charge. :p

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I have the exact same setup - gaz gha plus gold k tec mounts - and the suspensios knocks like sh*t!
I don't think the remaining holes will create a problem but I wold get them corrosion protected somehow before the ast.
Funny thing is that couple of mechanics looked at the car and weren't able to identify the knock. All I can tell is that it comes from both front and rear axles.
Let us know if you get rid of the problem after mounting the ast ones!
Cheers!

I have the exact same setup - gaz gha plus gold k tec mounts - and the suspensios knocks like sh*t!
I don't think the remaining holes will create a problem but I wold get them corrosion protected somehow before the ast.
Funny thing is that couple of mechanics looked at the car and weren't able to identify the knock. All I can tell is that it comes from both front and rear axles.
Let us know if you get rid of the problem after mounting the ast ones!
Cheers!
I think he might of figured this out after 7 years.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Maybe there are other people having this issue recently but hey.. Being a smartass is always fun right?