ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing the Gearbox. Apparently with better bearings?

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Hi,

I'm looking to book the Ph1 in for a new box as the diff bearings went in mine. The garage I have asked for a quote with mentioned a different gearbox with bigger stronger diff bearings.

Anyone know what he's talking about? Were the later boxes updated? I'm curious.

If you do understand, is it worth it? Or should I just slap another ph1 box on there?

Thanks in advance.
John

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
would be interested for future reference...
I now you can get stronger synchros and selector forks for JC5's, also a bearing holder (a plate with two holes)...but these are all on the gear shafts

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I've never seen a different set of diff bearings in any jc5 that I've stripped mate.

Never stripped a box in my life (credit card race driver). I read an awful lot though... have never heard of such a thing.
I'm hopefully having a chat with the fella tomorrow, will report back once I get some insight.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
It was common on Ford BC gearboxes to machine them for IB5 bearings maybe he is just cutting and pasting info to sound smart!