ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing the Head Unit

Right, I am in two minds about changing the head unit in the 172. It has the single CD 6CD standard combo at the moment and the steering wheel volume/ track remote.

In the past I have always replaced my head units but they have been just the head with no periferals, this time I can see a number of issues

Loss of remote
Loss of dash readout
Can the existing CD changer be reused?
Spoiling the lines/ colour scheme of the dash

So here are the questions

Can I reuse the standard remote or does it come off?
Can the dash readout be utilised or will it just do clock and temp?
Will I have to trash my changer?
Anyone ever considered a stealth install, keeping the standard head unit and hiding the new head under the drivers seat or passenger seat and operating via IR remote?

Any input would be apeciated

MB

Oh, Ive thought of a couple more things

The first things that I think need replacing are the rear speakers, Im getting some scratchy noises at higher volumes and I suspect the last owner my have been a little overenthusiastic with the volume control and over stressed them. I know that its recommended to chnage the fronts first but will I get a noticeable improvement from changeing these for decent 5.25s? Could I run them from a new amp and the existing head unit to get a better sound? Or should I right off getting an new amp unless I change the head?

Cheers

MB

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Can I reuse the standard remote or does it come off?

Yes

Can the dash readout be utilised or will it just do clock and temp?

No -just clock and temp (ive head things about kenwoods being able to use the display but i think its a myth)

Yes - unless you can get hold of a lead to convert it

Anyone ever considered a stealth install, keeping the standard head unit and hiding the new head under the drivers seat or passenger seat and operating via IR remote?

No why!!

Yes - unless you can get hold of a lead to convert it

Are these easy to get hold of?

Thanks Tom thats good infor exactly what I was looking for. In answer to your question, sadly I really like the simple look of the dash in the Clio and I dont really want to spoil it. Also I dont really want to invite Mr Carthief to vist my new toy! Car alarms these days dont seem to e a major deterent. I like the South African Idea of installing tear gas grenades or high voltage zappers to the alarm to deter Mr Carthief!

MB

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

why not just keep the standard headunit and amp all the speakers?

I think your on to something there Tom.

I added this to the orignal posting to find out if it is a possibility, obviously its is ;-)

Are there any preouts on the standard unit? or will I have to run the speaker wires out to the amp and back to the speakers?

Thanks for your help Tom

MB

there are no pre-out on the standard hu

and yes you will have to run speaker wire from the front of the car to the amp then to the speakers

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

no its easily done without pre outs

you need to find a 4chnl amp with a speaker input which would mean runnning them back and forth

or you need to get a speaker-rca converter box

why dont you start with uprating the speakers first if you need more after that then amp away

Damn

Thanks Bam Bam, looks like I might just splash out and get some one to do that job for me. Ive also heard that replacing the tweeters can be a bit of a B*tch so maybe Ill get them done at the same time. Im considering the Ground Zero stuff that Evil Ice does, maybe a full set of replacments (co-ax and compos) and some sort of amp that will take the speaker inputs off the standard head

Cheers

MB

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

if it was me id ditch the standard hu

get a very stealth alpine and have great sound- and keep the standard remote control (like mine :D)

the display on the top of the dash is very limited.

agreed with tom

ditch the standard hu

change the standard speakers then you will have a respectable sounding set-up

then get an amp if you still require more volume

RB5 & 172

i faced the same decision. in the end i replaced the hu with a kenwood d-mask to put the thiefs off. i then replaced a cable behind the display that would allow the steering wheel stalk to work with the new hu and keep the clock / temp display working. i also had to replace the multi changer with a kenwood changer.

changing the head unit allowed me to use my amp for my sub and to power my 7x10s in the rear.

i did all the work myself (apart from power cable through the bulk head), it was quite straight forward and i am no expert.

I think it will have to just be a speaker change for the time being. The HU seems to be OKish quality but the expense involved in adding a new HU (buying a remote convertor etc) is a bit prohibative and as I am getting on a bit now I dont like my music as loud as I used to!

MB

I know you can get a lead to fit sony headunits that can use the standard remote, but thats for my clio but not sure for new ones. Plus the sony headunits these days look s**t