ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Request: Clio 172 MK2 suspension diagram???

I really want to solve the knocking noise from the suspension top mount (I guess it is where the noise from), but not sure which part I need to change. Can someone post a diagram from the dialogy or real pic of what I need to change??? The whole top mount unit?? Or bearing washer???

The noise is getting more frequent now :-(

Also, I want to know the difference between knocking noise on heat shield and steering knocking???

Attached are 2 pics I found, not sure if they are for 172. So, which section do I need to change??? I add some copper grease and problem not solved.

Really look forward to hear from any of you, best regards.

Last edited:
Its the rubber bush which wears.
Check the bottom ball joint though also the wisbone and ARB bushes.

Sorry Edde, some more questions,

I have to remove the whole suspension to check if the rubber bush is wear right???
I am using Powerflex for wishbone at this moment.

Basically, more driving tell me the noise happen mostly when the force go to the front, such as when I brake at down hill, or go over speed bump, or from flat road to bumpy.

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
hkka said:
Basically, more driving tell me the noise happen mostly when the force go to the front, such as when I brake at down hill, or go over speed bump, or from flat road to bumpy.

this is exactly what i'm getting from the drivers side!!!!!, we've had the pry-bar (sp) out, but doesnt seem to be any movement in anything!!!! :(

BMW M3
I had this knocking, well was more of a squeak and knock.

Replaced the strut top mount and sorted it. Very occationally still does it though but that was a while ago i did that.

I had this knocking, well was more of a squeak and knock.

Replaced the strut top mount and sorted it. Very occationally still does it though but that was a while ago i did that.

When you say the strut top mount, you mean the top suspension mount right that shown on the right pic from 1st pic right??

How about if I exchange with the one on the passenger side to see how it works??

BMW M3
Yeah, thats right. I think they wear away after time. You could maybe dismantle the suspension and tighten it up again or as you say, just swop them over to see if the noise changes sides of the car.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
01005891_1.gif

00152525_1.gif

00128870_1.gif

00091259_1.gif

Thank you so much for the diagram!!!

However, I swapped the top mount but it seems problem still there but got less. But, it seems noise still from the same side. It is located somewhere in between the driver seat area and the front right wheel. Hum....... what else can I do??

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
this souds EXACTLY the fault on my car, as soon as you brake, the weight is transfered forward, there is a 'knock'

everytime, never does it in any other circumstance though :S

I think mine is better, not everytime, just in very hard brake. I was thinking if it is relate to the chassic???

Actually, it is hard to tell when it happen. But I really want to solve it as it start to get annoying.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i know, yeah maybe not every time. Sounds from the suspension area, like a worn bush etc, but we've been round it underneath and all seems fine, no play in the obvious etc

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i removed my coilovers back to standard to sell the car and it still did it, now refitted the coilovers (again) lol and it still no better.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
15 years, now I said the other days thread revival might be a record but this blows it out of the water. I've got a 15 year old daughter and a 9 year old son since this thread was last active.