ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Resetting remapped ECU back to standard

SQ5
So car is over fuelling, gets 30mpg on normal easy driving, failed MOT miserably.

Lambda is new, it's not the cat, I've always thought it was the remap.

Is there an easy may of removing it? Some older cars I believe could be reset by removing power to ECU for a long period of time.

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers
Danny

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Mine was high when i took it for mot a couple of weeks ago but knowing the tester he brought the revs up to clear it and it only just passed it. :)

2003 Clio 172
Don't think it works that way bud.
Say, you dig that Nokia 3210 out of your cupboard that has been dead for yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars and put it on charge, when it wakes up, it always knows how to ............phone :smile:

A remap has just told the ECU to do that differently but behaves the same way, its hard written to the flash memory.

Only way to go back to stock is an RSTuner from a backup/donated stock map (if it was RSTuner mapped) or back to the agent that did it

Or, I am sure Renault could flash the stock ECU on again, perhaps rewrite the latest version for your ECU....for £££ of course

Oh, and FWIW....mine is RSTuner mapped and basically blows trees and flowers out of the exhaust at MOT time. What type of map was it?

:wink:

J

SQ5
Don't think it works that way bud.
Say, you dig that Nokia 3210 out of your cupboard that has been dead for yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars and put it on charge, when it wakes up, it always knows how to ............phone :smile:

A remap has just told the ECU to do that differently but behaves the same way, its hard written to the flash memory.

Only way to go back to stock is an RSTuner from a backup/donated stock map (if it was RSTuner mapped) or back to the agent that did it

Or, I am sure Renault could flash the stock ECU on again, perhaps rewrite the latest version for your ECU....for £££ of course

Oh, and FWIW....mine is RSTuner mapped and basically blows trees and flowers out of the exhaust at MOT time. What type of map was it?

:wink:

J

Older type ECU's seemed to clear stuff when left with no power for a while, I remember it from the 16v days!

I didn't have it mapped it was done previously, apparently an RSTuner map. Either way it looks like it's going to cost me money then FFS!

Anyone know if it's possible via CLiP to wipe ECU to standard?

2003 Clio 172
I had a remapped Honda, old school Superchips remap and i was able to reset calibrations etc by leaving the ecu unplugged for a while but not the base maps.
Cars only have one version of the software they run AFAIK.
Pretty sure CLiP has the power to fix what you need done......

182 Trophy
Disconnecting the power does work on some ECU's. I had a Fiat Coupe and that was the case...but I think it only resets the some of the parameters - like the short term fuel trim. I think it basically reverts to the base fuel / ignition map and the ecu 'relearns' the ideal fuel/ignition values using various sensors ...lambda/knock sensors.
Maybe some of the clio experts can say if its the same case with our ECU's?

SQ5
I had a remapped Honda, old school Superchips remap and i was able to reset calibrations etc by leaving the ecu unplugged for a while but not the base maps.
Cars only have one version of the software they run AFAIK.
Pretty sure CLiP has the power to fix what you need done......

I've found out CLiP does but I need the proper Renault file on disc and a programming code so doesn't look good.

Disconnecting the power does work on some ECU's. I had a Fiat Coupe and that was the case...but I think it only resets the some of the parameters - like the short term fuel trim. I think it basically reverts to the base fuel / ignition map and the ecu 'relearns' the ideal fuel/ignition values using various sensors ...lambda/knock sensors.
Maybe some of the clio experts can say if its the same case with our ECU's?

Yea I knew it only did parameters within the mapping and not deleting everything from it! I'll give that a go, otherwise looks like I'm needing to buy an RSTuner and find someone with a standard ph1 .cal and .rst file?

SQ5
MOT test is 0.2% carbon monoxide levels, a decat will see that raised to about 0.8-1%.

My reading was 8%!! I have a new lambda and no misfiring. A lambda sensor would usually give an average MPG of about 20 if it wasn't working.

The only other things at MAP sensor or the fuelling controlled by the ECU, there isn't much else to check.

2003 Clio 172
temp sensor or something along those lines maybe as well?
car thinking it was fuelling for cold start
dunno bud

SQ5
It shouldn't be that bad on cold start either.

The only time I've seen something similar is when one my supercharged ones had the wrong map sensor and was chucking black soot out of the back! This doesn't smoke or anything but just gives me reason to think.

Got @dmallett helping Sunday with lots of spares.

dan's cast offs.
i had one in for test that was running close on 12% fwir, it actually set of the carbon monoxide detector in the flat above the test centre!!

have you had it on live data to see if it is switching?

SQ5
i had one in for test that was running close on 12% fwir, it actually set of the carbon monoxide detector in the flat above the test centre!!

have you had it on live data to see if it is switching?

Am I able to do that via CLiP? I've not tested anything yet, luckily I have a spare lambda which I could try too.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
If it's an rstuner map you may find your ecu is locked.
better to go buy a new ecu kit from eBay for 60 quid to get the stock map back

SQ5
I'm hoping I don't need to spend anything major yet. I'll try lambda and map sensor and see if that helps.

dan's cast offs.
Am I able to do that via CLiP? I've not tested anything yet, luckily I have a spare lambda which I could try too.

even a cheap nasty code reader should give live data, run it up from cold, keep an eye on the coolant temp and when it's up to temp see what the voltage is doing.