ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Restoring Little Bluey - my 182 FF ClioSport in Racing Blue

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Daft Thought, have you tried cleaning the UCH with some IPA - worth making sure circuit boards are as clean as possible. Highly doubt it will work, but if any slight moisture hiding on the board that will get rid.
I was planning on sending it away to be tested. But I think at this stage I’ll let somebody qualified have a look before I start going too far. I’m hoping it’s something really simple 🤞🏻

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
Hi Jon, this may sound daft but I have had my Clio not start on a few occasions. I have disconnected the battery, left it ten minutes and reconnected the battery. It then starts straight away. Have you tried that?.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Jon, this may sound daft but I have had my Clio not start on a few occasions. I have disconnected the battery, left it ten minutes and reconnected the battery. It then starts straight away. Have you tried that?.
Hi Andy,

Yes. On top of that, I had it off the car overnight when I charged the battery right up.

Either way, the car has clearly developed an electrical fault, so getting it to fire up is only solving half the problem. I should be able to switch a washer stalk over without the car never starting again.

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
Hi Andy,

Yes. On top of that, I had it off the car overnight when I charged the battery right up.

Either way, the car has clearly developed an electrical fault, so getting it to fire up is only solving half the problem. I should be able to switch a washer stalk over without the car never starting again.
Hope you get it sorted soon especially after all the effort you have put into the car to make it such a great car.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Admittedly not a Clio, but my good old mk4 disAstra decided not to start 1 day with similar faults. The suggestion in the end was to pull every single fuse and relay that didn’t specifically relate to starting the engine.

I ended up with about 10 fuses/relays left for the starter, fuel pump, injectors etc and it started. One by one I then put the fuses and relays back to test it again. The car originally didn’t have ABS but to clear the dash light and get a the speedo working I’d fitted the ECU and cable tied it out the way. When I plugged the ABS fuse back in the working car stopped working. It turned out the ABS ecu was shorting against the bulkhead and causing enough of a problem for everything else to say “nah, f**k that mate, not starting”

I’m not sure how much the uch will like it on these but could be worth a punt.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Admittedly not a Clio, but my good old mk4 disAstra decided not to start 1 day with similar faults. The suggestion in the end was to pull every single fuse and relay that didn’t specifically relate to starting the engine.

I ended up with about 10 fuses/relays left for the starter, fuel pump, injectors etc and it started. One by one I then put the fuses and relays back to test it again. The car originally didn’t have ABS but to clear the dash light and get a the speedo working I’d fitted the ECU and cable tied it out the way. When I plugged the ABS fuse back in the working car stopped working. It turned out the ABS ecu was shorting against the bulkhead and causing enough of a problem for everything else to say “nah, f**k that mate, not starting”

I’m not sure how much the uch will like it on these but could be worth a punt.
Thanks, Steve. 😊

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
What about the dreaded white plug issue?. I need to get mine sorted, not that I drive it lol
Like new. As I’ve mentioned the electrics on this car are so clean. But something is obviously amiss.
0076AA98-3E77-4722-8B27-48CB0B3BD7A2.jpeg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Ah ok mate. How come you made the decision to give it up, just fed up?
I haven’t decided to sell yet. Just gauging peoples thoughts on prices. My mood changes hourly 😂 I was supposed to have the car checked by ‘Pros’ today but that turned out to be farcical. Just get a bit fed up and frustrated I can’t fix it myself. Renewed hope tonight though after posting, so my tail is wagging again.

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if this will help or not…

Years ago I swapped over an incorrect distributer for the correct one on my 205 GTi. It worked but as I couldn’t do the timing I refitted the original one. After that the car would not start. Long story short, the AA guy found that the wires in my HT lead was pushed back and not making contact with the dizzy connector. I would never have found that myself.

Double check that anything you unplugged is making a good connection.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Send the uch off for testing in the meantime? Nothing to lose, much to gain etc.
Mick hasn't suggested that, although I can see where you're coming from. Let him send it off if that's what needs to be done.
Not sure if this will help or not…

Years ago I swapped over an incorrect distributer for the correct one on my 205 GTi. It worked but as I couldn’t do the timing I refitted the original one. After that the car would not start. Long story short, the AA guy found that the wires in my HT lead was pushed back and not making contact with the dizzy connector. I would never have found that myself.

Double check that anything you unplugged is making a good connection.
All I did was change a wiper stalk, something I've done a lot of times without issue.
The Internet can take you down a slippery slope, so I'll leave it in Mick's capable hands.
It'll be something really silly and easy to fix or a complete nightmare 😂

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I can tell you are over this issue 😂

If you send the UCH off and it fails test, they repair it then you have saved a bunch of money paying Mick to do the same thing plus all the extra diagnosis. If they test it and it passes then its more info to give Mick, win win imo.

From the little I know of Diamond/Mick I am sure he will have this fixed in short order.

RS Clio 182
Mine has had a very similar set of issues. It started when the car flooded due to a blocked drain below the windscreen during the pandemic. I dried it up, but found issues with one fog light and the windscreen washer not working. Fog light seemed to come good after reconnecting it a couple of times. But along the way I took all connectors apart including the white one and cleaned up. Nothing as clean as Mr Underhill's. I managed to get it so it wouldn't start too, but there was a trick with the key in the ignition and getting the car to re-recognise it that sorted that.

I checked every fuse in the car, including fuse box and under bonnet. Cleaned up and reseated all of the relays (including one which came apart when I tried to pull it out. Checks the earths, unplugged and re-plugged in the UCH a few times which seemed dry and clean (although there is something still holding it in place that I can't find so have not been able to actually get it out.

Washer motor is fine if I hotwire it across the battery.

If I pull the stalk to test the washer (or twist the sleeve to also power the washer jet for the rear) the washer connector just gets a few hundredths of a volt. I beleive mine has just one washer motor to power the front and rear windscreen washers, but not sure if that's right. I checked a wiring diagram I found online and it didn't look like there was a relay between the stalk and the washer motor, but that may be incorrect.

Windscreen washer still does not work to this day...

I'd suspected it may be either the stalk or the UCH, but odd that both switches in the stalk would fail at the same time. Which leaves the UCH or a wiring issue. Or of course something I don't know about or have incorrect.

Watching intently to find the root cause on this chain!

Is that Diamond Motors in Croydon by any chance?

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Diamond Motors Long Eaton, Derby.

We’ve ruled the UCH out as that was sent off last week and tested. I stuck it back on this morning and it’s no different.

There’s a strange noise coming from under the steering wheel. Like a chattering sound. I’ve had a good look but without stripping the dash off nothing is obvious. All this happened just by changing a wiper stalk. I’ll leave it to somebody who knows what they’re doing.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
They look like for sale pics to me.
I knew you’d say something like that 😂 It did cross my mind though 😉
Nah only kidding, its looks brand new and selling it would be a massive regret. Fetch it to CSF and take the show n shine win home.
I just realised all the photos in this thread have been pics of restoration.

It would need detailing to win show and shine. I honestly hardly wash it.

With regards to CSF I’m not even attempting to get there this year. I’ve booked and paid hundreds in tickets and hotels over the last 4 years, but something has always scuppered it.

NickReilly063

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy Rs265
Looks fantastic always Mr Underhill - it would be a real shame to part with it after all your hard work.

I hope it gets sorted out and you fall back in love with it again - CSF 2024 show and shine winner 🏆

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I wish i had the spare time to pop down and sort this for you mate. Just not enough hours in the day at the moment with work etc.
I appreciate that Jon. I’m the same and I don’t like to pester people. I still have the seats unplugged 😂

One of the lads was collecting some cars down south so he dropped the UCH down to him on Thursday. He messaged me same day and said it was fine. I had it picked up on the way back on Friday. Fitted it this morning and it’s no different. I have a feeling it’s a broken wire inside the loom which travels from ignition, under the dash to the fuse box. Pulling the old switch off has obviously disturbed it.

A few mobile auto electricians (I use that word loosely) came down Monday and Tuesday and tested a few things. The one on Tuesday seemed to think it was a break in the wire, but it was absolutely chucking it down and he was getting soaked. He just wanted to go home and get dry lol. He didn’t charge me.

I can get it on our car transporter anyway, so I’ll leave it to Mick. I’ll get him to switch my seat airbags back in while he’s on with it and check the car over for me.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Looks fantastic always Mr Underhill - it would be a real shame to part with it after all your hard work.

I hope it gets sorted out and you fall back in love with it again - CSF 2024 show and shine winner 🏆
I’m still besotted with her Nick, that’s the problem. Whilst deciding to drive it I realised I’d created my perfect car. My old BG was amazing but it had some things I couldn’t reverse or remedy, so never really fell in love with it. There’s still plenty of things I need to sort on the RB. It’ll run again as it’s just something daft.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
At least uch is ruled out now so definitely wiring or something. Id take a guess at transponder ring or wiring to it maybe from previous codes. Mick will be able to suss it out no bother.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
And we’re back in business.

After doing a load more diagnostics I came across this new fault code.

IMG_2555.jpeg

Google proved unsuccessful again but it made me look in another direction.

I’d normally do a Smart Scan, but this time I figured I’d do a manual scan. The diagnostic was able to scan everything except the ECM.

Dropped a quick message to @Brigsy who suggested a few more things.

I went back to the main fuse box, checked those again and all were ok. I then had another look at the wires under the fuse box and this time noticed a wire going into the green 30a was only connecting by a few strands. All that removing and tugging must have stretched it. Made a better connection and boom 💥 she’s back!

Fixed my washer/wiper pumps as well which was another dodgy wire going into the connector just above the UCH which I wouldn’t have spotted had I not removed it.

I’ve never had the UCH out before, but somebody clearly had as nothing really moves under there.

I’m absolutely buzzing that I was able to fix this myself, but a big thank you to @Brigsy for pointing me in another direction this morning.

NOT FOR SALE……..yet 😂

Thank you to everybody for your comments and messages and for reading. Now to get out and enjoy the lovely weather.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Feeling enthusiastic about the car again, I figured I’d replace the tailgate struts as they were a bit soft and occasionally the tailgate would come down on my head.

Picked up a decent pair from @Toms_clio a few weeks back. Thanks Tom, they worked a treat.

IMG_2557.jpeg

Gave the old girl a run up the road and I’m just loving this car again. I’m generally driving new cars whilst at work, which is why these little vintage hot hatchbacks feel such good fun.

I think it’s time to dig my Turinis out and have a change.