ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Restoring Little Bluey - my 182 FF ClioSport in Racing Blue

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Fantastic roads, was the photographer out on the hairpin after the cafe on hartside pass?
I never noticed anything tbh. The Pendragon Stage Rally was on and I got sandwiched between a few cars coming out of Warcop. I was behind Barry Lindsay, who I know, and was flashing him. He must have thought “who the fook is that”. 😂

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Ah so you’re the guy who did that. I knew I’d read it somewhere. I shot blasted the steering knuckles for that very reason and left the races in place while I gave them an overnight dip. You probably saved me ruining them.
Yes, there is/was a very tiny chance that both FAG bearings were from a faulty batch and hence the press fit was wrong but I really think it was just my own stupidness.

I left them in waaaay too long, and the water was kept warm - they came out like new though. Just read my thread and I said 'next day' but in reality thats BS I put them back in and left for over a week.

1598980910723-png.png

1598981483022-png.png

The amount of material (iron) citric acid/Deox removes is absolutely tiny! but then a good bearing fit is also a tiny tolerance. As said there is a chance the issue was with the bearings and not the hubs but bearing manufacturers like FAG are pretty on point with tolerances so its something I've been wary of ever since.

So I guess its a warning rather than a 100% certainty (y)

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
If you leave the old bearings in too long you also need many tons to remove them. Ask me how I know.

Best way is smearing thick grease on the surfaces.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
If you leave the old bearings in too long you also need many tons to remove them. Ask me how I know.

Best way is smearing thick grease on the surfaces.
The second set of carriers I did this, and honestly both bearings (originals that I pressed out before dipping and new ones that I pressed out after dipping) needed many many tons to remove. Like 10T, some heat and a few mallet whacks....

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
@FrogJam Motorsport said mine popped out easy enough. One bearing was fairly newish, the other looked original. As a rule of thumb I’ll avoid dipping anything for a prolonged period that has a hi-torque thread or bearing face. In the case of the calipers, I left the piston in place until the rebuild.