ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Resurrecting the sunflower

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
Last night i fired up my old sunflower 172 that has been parked on the driveway since 2011. Started it every now and then just to check it still runs.

I am going to try and sort it and get rid of the green hue and pigeon s**t from it. As it is parked under a very large tree it suffers from the droppings from said tree - leaves, sap, all sorts of debris.

Where do i start with it ? I have copious amounts of muc off which i will hopefully use to give it a soak.

Currently wearing a silver front bumper as the original was to be a resprayed.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Use the Muc off first, then a decent snowfoam, let it sit for a bit.

Then pressure wash the crap off.

Then do it all again.

Then when washed, clay bar it.

If its been sat since 2011 its going to need new belts, coolant and oils mate

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
i replaced the belts and clutch just before it was retired. i dropped an engine in it when the bottom pulley separated and dropped the belt. all came together.

what does it cost to tax a 2001 clio 172 ?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'd

Pressure wash it

Snow foam it (mix an all purpose cleaner in with it)

Pressure wash it again.

Then, if that sorted it out, wash as usual... If not, I'd spray an organic deposit remover like tardis on before pressure washing off again

Golf GT & A4 Avant
What products and kit do you have? the much off stuff might work but only ever used it on my bike so not sure what it can do to paint if it starts to dry.

get into your local supermarket and get a cheap all purpose cleaner (APC). Tesco sell 1litre of daisy APC which works well. rinse or pressure rinse the car if you have access to a pressure washer and liberally apply APC to all affected areas. Do not let it dry. rinse after it has had time to dwell and soften and break down any contaminants

give it a wash with a strong dilution of your chosen shampoo and maybe add in a little more APC to your bucket.

once rinsed use a tar and glue remover to spray over the painted panels, consider autosmart Tardis, carpro Tar-x etc, do not let it dry, reapply after a few minutes then wipe off with a damp microfibre. wash or rinse again and you should be back to a good base ready to start using a clay bar, then polishing and waxing to help protect the finish to stop further dirt and grime bonding with the panels

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
i replaced the belts and clutch just before it was retired. i dropped an engine in it when the bottom pulley separated and dropped the belt. all came together.

what does it cost to tax a 2001 clio 172 ?
ok, but that was 4 years ago. cam belt due 5 years and aux belt 3 years.

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
i wont be doing any mechanicals on it..im not going to drive it. i want to restore it back to how it was when on the road. it has big sentimental value for me. will never be sold.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
oh fair enough. But be warned, If you start it in the future and the aux belt snaps and the cam belt eats it you will have a nice looking rolling brick :p

Nice to see an owner who wont be selling up :)

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
if it comes to that i will put another motor in it. its an easy enough job. it has been out twice already and then fitted a new motor when the earlier went south

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
Before and after.....can you tell which is which ?

Attachments

• IMG_20150524_153531.jpg
    IMG_20150524_153531.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20150525_120625.jpg
    IMG_20150525_120625.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 83

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
unfortunately it looks like the tree sap has made the roof and bonnet very flat. i did clay it but it looks deeper than that. could it be machine polished out ?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Would need to see it to advise. Have you got any cleaning or polishing products? Something like autoglym super resin polish (SRP)? Most people have something like that. It's a very gentle abrasive but more of a chemical cleaner that should hopefully bring a bit of colour back. Another option is meguiars ultimate polish both available in halfords