ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rev Limiter Light

Renault Clio 172
Hi All,

I've got a Clio 172, 02 reg with 65k on the clock.

I've noticed something, but Im not sure if it is a fault or not.

The little green light that comes on to tell you when to change gear so you do not damaged the engine. Well sometimes it comes on at around 6,000rpm, others at nearly 7,000 rpm. Any idea's why it comes on at different times?

I presumed it would be set at a set rev limit. Or do other factors such as engine temp, etc, come into it?

Cheers.

Dan.

172 ph2
Yup its based on engine temp (coolant temp to be more specific) and green light comes on approximately 300 rpm before limiter kicks in.

If the coolant temp is below 75°C the rev limit is at 6,7k rpm (green light at approx 6,4k rpm)
If above 75°C rev limit in first and second gear is at 7,2k rpm (green light at 6,9k rpm), and rev limit in 3rd, 4th, 5th is at 7k rpm (green light at 6,7k rpm)

But i quess i'm not the only one that would suggest you that you should drive at least 15 minutes before you go higher than 3k-3,5k rpm, and change gear just before the green light comes on when the engine is up to working temp;)

Renault Clio 172
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I try to warm it up thoroughly before I take it to high revs.

Well that's how I first noticed that the light was coming on at different stages. I was changing before it would usually come on, but obviously the coolant wasn't up to 75, so it came on!