ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RIP My 172 Cup

clio gone :(
Hello! So the gearbox went the other night, at a low speed. Got a few n00b questions if that's OK?
Got recovered home, and I live on a slight incline and single track road, so we blocked the road and winched it off. Try and imagine the front of the car facing the top of the hill. Started her up, sounded fine. Went to go in to reverse and the car stalled. Took the handbrake off and the car didn't want to roll downhill, even though it was in neutral. Tried Reverse again and the car went backwards but kept stalling, could hear and see bearings flying about!!! Burnt the clutch a little. Now she is tucked up on the drive and I have started her up. She doesn't start unless the clutch is depressed, I'm guessing its stuck in gear as she won't move, (tried pushing etc) even in neutral forward or backwards. Is there a way I can get her to move in neutral so someone could potentially trailer / winch her away? Cut the prop?!?!?
I'm guessing its going to cost about £700 for a new box and clutch fitted?
The car was owned by a few people on here, so it had a hard life on track etc, (she has a couple of scrapes on the bumper) but I looked after the mechanics, she had cam belt, aux, water pump, in December 2013, new exhaust centre pipe, 4 new yokohama s drive tyres this year, new washer pump, air bag wiring, front pads, probably more I forgot :)

So...dilemma time, I do have a small garage, with a pit (!), but I have little mechanical knowledge, changed the pads ok, but thats about it. So I don't think I can fix it myself. Unless anyone wants to come round and use my pit :)

is there a scrap value? the alloys need refurbing but the tyres are virtually brand new, car has complete service history, even every tax disc, MOT till end of July. Only advisory was brake disc scored. Milage is 117k.

I have the room to hold on to her for a while or stick in the garage if I can get her to move in neutral, argh what shall I do?!

Thanks!

I'd advise you get someone to help you move it into the garage and whip the box out.

The car would break for 4 times what you'd sell it for currently, so perhaps use this as an opportunity to learn how it all comes apart.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
Is this scruffty off of megane sport?... had the black 250?
Id get the box taken out by a mobile mechanic and rebuilt. There was a box for sale on here a few days ago for 150. Id come and help but its a bit hardcore for my skills!
@scruffty

Clio Sport 172
@bondbill recently had his gearbox replaced in his fiesta st and needed the clutch replacing at the same time, if i remember rightly the clio gearbox on ebay were going for around £200-£300 where as the st ones were near double that. cost around 300 in labour which included supply and fit of the clutch too. i knows its a different car but i would say it should be closer to 500 to fit with everything rather then 700. ebay has plenty of boxes though when we had a look few weeks ago.

cheers guys, will give some people a ring just to find out prices etc,
yes @Iain C its me, long time no speak, yes it is all your fault!!! was only meant to have the clio a few months and turned in to 18!!!! Please do come round, I can feed bacon butties and beer in exchange for greasy paws!!!
Just need to get her in the garage, lift up the pit and let battle commence! Oh, maybe the major house renovations will have to wait?! :)
@TarkMalbot - if you want to help out a fellow "cupper" please let me know!!!

I am not sure myself how to change one out to be honest. My plan is to just strip the whole front end of my crashed cup away from the shell and then just strip bits off from there. I would be willing to sell the gearbox once I have worked out how to get it off and share any info with you about how to get it back on yours.

well...maybe it won't turn out to be RIP after all?! thanks for the PM @GrahamS and @iainc - just need a gearbox and some tools I guess then we're ready to go :)

fingers crossed, thanks again everyone!!!!

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
tools!
IMG-20141230-WA0004_zpsqmvgp2yb.jpg

hello again, i'm on the lookout for a cup gearbox if anyone has one, knows of one etc...
started the old girl up last night, need her back in my life!!!!!! thank you!!!!!!!!

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
If you have a little bit of extra money it would be worth changing the clutch at the same time, especially if it been slipping a bit, saves loads of hassle....