ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Road Angel with 172

Hi

Just bought a Road Angel to hopefully stop the points totting up on my licence.

The problem is that the 172 has a fancy windscrren so had to buy a re-radiating ariel to enable the unit to work. Anyone had one of these in a 172 and where did you put the ariel so it worked best.

Ta

I put it on the rear shelf, and it works fine.

If i were you id hard wire the Rd A in. i choped the fag litter thing of the end, ran it into the dash and connected it to the stereo 12v supply. Cant stand trailing wires!!

ive put it under that small clear square on the front of the dash for the moment. I cant test it yet because they have said that they cant unlock the unit until Tues morning.

Will it work under this small square??

Ta

ICE'dberg MK2 172

I had to buy the aerial for mine....£££s cause it wouldnt work, even under the square.

Stuck it on the roof....must get round to hardwiring it in!! thought about colour coding it too. One day??

Stokesey had one and his works no problem under the square so I guess youll have to suck it and see....

Great bit of kit tho

Quote: Originally posted by Moose1978 on 25 October 2003

ive put it under that small clear square on the front of the dash for the moment. I cant test it yet because they have said that they cant unlock the unit until Tues morning.

Will it work under this small square??

Ta
Have a Bel 550 which I fitted to my new 172 in the gap area central lower on windscreen, have tested it and it works fine, picks up Gatsos that I know are live no problem, I think a lot is made of this special windscreen, its really not so restrictive as I have played with situating the detector in areas other than the clear square and it works just as well. I dont think an external arial is really necessary.....did toy with the idea of getting the whole windscreen replaced on my insurance for £50 excess...but its just not necessary...think ur Angel will work just fine!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

the road angel speedo will be a second or so behind your actual speed, as it takes a few milliseconds to recieve infor from the satalites...

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by richie_jones on 26 October 2003

My new 172 is coming with sat nav, will this clear square be taken up by this so my roadangel wont fit

cheers
No - your satnav has an external aerial mounted in the base of the radio aerial.

cheers guys.

I have fitted the ariel in the middle of the clear square so will see how it works.

ps.. pain in the arse trying to hide all the wires etc...

pps.. how accurate is the speedo compared the one in your 172???

ta

skoda and audi

The accuracy of the road to the speedo is about 1 to 2 mph different so if you are doing 40 mph on the speedo the road angel reads about 38 - 39 mph if thats any indication of accuracy.