ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rockingham Evening session: 21st May 2015

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
So myself and Steven (along with his mate), booked ourselves onto the evening session at Rockingham. We were hoping for a few more CS members to join us, but alas it was just us 2. Nevermind, we were still looking forward to it.

I'll leave @Steven103 to add his input after, but this is from my own perspective. Hold on tight....

So I had booked myself a half day on the Thursday from work. I had come down with a bad bout of man flu a couple of days beforehand, and woke up Thursday morning still feeling a bit crappy. Nevertheless, I took some MTFU pills and got on with my day.
High noon rolled around, and I could leave my colleagues (in the s**t), whilst I made my merry way home to get the car sorted.

In my case, this involved the following...
- Check tyres are on right way round - Check!
- Put a selection of tools in the boot (Jack, Torque wrench, wheel nut adapter) - Check!
- Put necessary documentation in car (Indemnity waiver and license) - Check!
- Eat hearty lunch, relax and charge up phone - Check!

3:30pm, it was time to head off. Traffic was good to me, and I arrived not too long before 5pm.
Steven had rocked up too, so I headed to the signing-on office and met him there (looking very sharp in his shirt and tie).
After this, we rolled the cars over to the scrutineering bays, where we had our noise checks done, and it was now we could check out who else was there.

There were a couple of other Clio's, and a fair mix of cars to say the least. BMW 1M, 5 series estate (I believe), a Porsche, caterhams, civics, meganes, and someone who rocked up in what was undoubtedly a Volvo rental car!
All passed (as if there was any doubt), we headed to the garage.

We had a little bit of time to check over the cars - mine involved me looking at mine, whilst Steven changed his wheels over.
Whilst we were there, a lady was walking along closing the doors. She seemed a bit confused as to why Steven had started working on his car. Apparently he was the only person to book a garage, and she didn't know!? Oh well, we stayed put and was on her way.

Into the briefing, usual (but important) yadda yadda yadda, and then out for some sighting laps.

We would be driving the "International Super Sports Car - Long" circuit on the evening, and there was 2 hours to squeeze in as much track time as we could.
We both jumped in the cars, and headed straight out. 2 minutes in, and there's a red flag. b****cks....

Made our way back to the pits, and spotted the culprit. A BMW Z4 had made contact with we assume a barrier, which resulted in some minor damage to his front wing. He was back out later though, so it must've been fairly light.
There was one more red flag near the end, when the 1M ended up in the gravel, but otherwise it was an incident-free evening, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Not a huge amount of pictures, but after my first trip to Rockingham, I'll definitely be going back.

The cars in the garage.
18005398575_4c0a7fd990_n.jpg

We were sharing with this...
17382796204_76462e9845_n.jpg

And this!
17978941066_40ceb2fb5d_n.jpg

Some flying laps...
18005392595_a07559f945_n.jpg

17817507768_333caf75ac_n.jpg

18006173921_43debbae8a_n.jpg

Had the top of the garages to ourselves too. Get a nice view from up there...
17384871673_f6412fcb77_n.jpg

A fairly quiet evening. Bit of bustle from race crews going in and out, but the session wasn't overly busy.
17819150969_86a870ea76_n.jpg

Steven's mate, decided he was no.1 passenger on the night...
17817758070_d1d3973846_n.jpg

I really need to get some money into the 172 project though. Not that being in the DCI isn't fun, but I would like to actually overtake something soon... 😂😂

Reactions: Gus
Some great pictures!
  • Can't believe I brought comfy shoes & jeans but forgot to bring a t-shirt or anything
  • I was running late so missed the start of the briefing & was made to stand outside and wait for it to finish. Felt like waiting for a school detention...
  • Organisation was a bit rubbish, only seemed to be one guy running the whole track day
  • Noise test was utterly pointless as people were blatantly getting away with revving to 2 or 3 thousand RPM
  • Being overtaken in a straight line by the C63 & M5 Touring was quite pleasant on the ears
How do I make the pictures bigger? It asks me to sign in with Yahoo...

Reactions: Gus