ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rokkor coilovers on a 1.2 8v (52mm) ;)

Ph1 track 172
Didnt want to pay so much money buying Vmaxx coilovers for my car, since its only a 1.2, i wast wanted to go looww,

i set about converting my car to the 58mm hubs,

needed,

hubs
callipers
pads
discs
COILOVERS!

heres a pic of everything i collected!
img0003ub.jpg

Rokkor coilovers (£168)
img0004jc.jpg

Callipers coutesy lindleyp (£30ish)
img0005en.jpg

Pagid Discs (£40) and the pads included in the callipers
img0006pg.jpg

here's how one of the hubs came, thanks NSEC for stripping the hub down before setting it too me! either way, (£25)
img0007sl.jpg

after taking the knackered disc, possibly alright calliper, and rusty balljoint and useless ABS sesor it looked like this,
img0008gz.jpg

the only way i could get the rusty track rod end off, thanks again NSEC :mad:
img0009x.jpg

i got a second hub off an ebay member for £15

So it was out with the old 52mm hubs and so on,
img0010fw.jpg

and in with the new
img0011zh.jpg

img0012wj.jpg

an annoyingly large number of bolts had seize, lots of wd40, and blood, sweat and tears and i managed to get it done,

still need to do the other side of the car, bleed the brakes, and get the tracking done, but its a good start!

total cost of £278, so much cheaper than £399 for Vmaxx and i get the bigger brakes and new discs!!

hope this answers any questions as to weather or not this can be done!

P.S. will a rag'n'bone man take this??
img0013t.jpg

any comments welcome

Fiesta ST-3
good work mate. But for the efforts i would have probably just got the vmaxx!!

As long as you are happy tho buddeh

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Ah so it did work! I received my coilies today still no hubs arrived!

Change of plan anyway, deposit on twingo cup down ;)

Pictures on the car?

Ph1 track 172
Yup it does work, annoyingly i can now see that you dont need to change the callipers and discs lol,

tbh, after buying brake fluid and the new bolts ill need it probs wont be much cheaper than vmaxx, however, the better brakes will make for a more fun drive!

And in total, it took 2 days, but that included going out and buying the discs and hub, and stripping the hub down, and bleeding the brakes.

Sooooo much of the car was rotten down there, looked like it had never been taken off in 9 years! needless to say loads of WD40 was needed, along with a hammer and finding some replacement bolts!

renault clio 1.2
hi, i have just bought spax coilovers of an 2001 clio 1.2 16v, my clio is a 2004 clio 1.2 8v, will the strut bolt space be diffarent? thanks

One Phat Clio
i gota 1.4, reckon they'll be sound? I want 60mm lowerage with comfort, how are they Clio142? Cheers for the thread

Ph1 track 172
hi, i have just bought spax coilovers of an 2001 clio 1.2 16v, my clio is a 2004 clio 1.2 8v, will the strut bolt space be diffarent? thanks
probs not dude, all the 16v have 58mm spacing (bar the 1*2's) and the 8v have 52mm. you'll have to change the hubs like ive done above!

got the coilovers off ebay

theyll be fine on a 1.2, and defs lower 60mm, as for ride quality, i couldnt comment since i run mine almost as low as they will go ;)

CLIO 1.5 DCI 2003
Hi, nice work. Which rokkor coilovers did you get to fit your car?? I'm struggling to find some to fit a clio!

Mk3 clio 1.5
I know this is a drag up from the past but im thinking of doing exactly the same. But just wondering about the rear? Does anything need to be changed there? Like are the bolts different sizes to be bolted into the rear axel?

I know this is a drag up from the past but im thinking of doing exactly the same. But just wondering about the rear? Does anything need to be changed there? Like are the bolts different sizes to be bolted into the rear axel?

All clio rear shocks are the same fitment :)

nah you dont need to change anything on the rear for coilovers, as on the rear you have separate springs and shock, the shock just has a bolt top and bottom, so no need to swap anything about :)

Mk3 clio 1.5
My socks have gome on the rear thats why i vwas enquiring about that.. but cheers for clearing thst up, gonna make headway with this ifea.

Low and Slow 1.4 16v
another option is to save going to all that effort, if you just want budget coilovers that go lowww Ta Technix are good enough. £260 delivered off ebay. I have them on my 1.4 wound all way down

Mk3 clio 1.5
another option is to save going to all that effort, if you just want budget coilovers that go lowww Ta Technix are good enough. £260 delivered off ebay. I have them on my 1.4 wound all way down

the 1.2's have 52mm bolt spaicing cheapest you can buy is the vmaxx for £350.