ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RR Result at RS Tuning

LOL the entire 206 180 project was a joke from start to finish. Initialy it was supposed to be a new cylinder head design and hello 180bhp - ended up being an entirely new engine bar block and basic components, went massively over budget and still rarely made more than 165bhp. Perfect proof of what happens when the marketing department get in before the engineers.

185bhp'ish is about right from a 197 IMHO. The cup cars certainly don't make 205 ;-)

Cheers
M

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
LOL the entire 206 180 project was a joke from start to finish. Initialy it was supposed to be a new cylinder head design and hello 180bhp - ended up being an entirely new engine bar block and basic components, went massively over budget and still rarely made more than 165bhp. Perfect proof of what happens when the marketing department get in before the engineers.

185bhp'ish is about right from a 197 IMHO. The cup cars certainly don't make 205 ;-)

Cheers
M

You should tell Red Dot that LOL

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182

would love to see some knowledge ownage

carl

It was a few years ago now but people don't really realise the panic and upset Renault caused when they released the 172. Previous to that 140bhp was a "hugely" powerful hot hatch. 150 - 160bhp was for the mid size performance hatches. Renault popped along with a north of 170bhp teeny tiny hat and the arse dropped out of the every one knocking together hot hatches as all of a sudden theres was only just warm.

The GTI 180 was the response to the Clio 172 and it had to be a 180. The job of pulling a POS 138bhp engine upto 180bhp was not even possible whilst still meeting emissions targets and budget yet it had to be 180bhp so it was more than the Clio.

I did a technical study on the 180bhp spec engine package shortly after the GTI 180 was released for a potential privateer race entry and knew a fair whack of the dev team on the 180 project. No one liked that one!!!!!!

I'm sure the Clio 182 only came about so Renault were '2' up on Pug ;-)

Cheers
M

ITB'd MK1
It was a few years ago now but people don't really realise the panic and upset Renault caused when they released the 172. Previous to that 140bhp was a "hugely" powerful hot hatch. 150 - 160bhp was for the mid size performance hatches. Renault popped along with a north of 170bhp teeny tiny hat and the arse dropped out of the every one knocking together hot hatches as all of a sudden theres was only just warm.

The GTI 180 was the response to the Clio 172 and it had to be a 180. The job of pulling a POS 138bhp engine upto 180bhp was not even possible whilst still meeting emissions targets and budget yet it had to be 180bhp so it was more than the Clio.

I did a technical study on the 180bhp spec engine package shortly after the GTI 180 was released for a potential privateer race entry and knew a fair whack of the dev team on the 180 project. No one liked that one!!!!!!

I'm sure the Clio 182 only came about so Renault were '2' up on Pug ;-)

Cheers
M

rofl, i remember thinking that of the 182 when it came out.

No-one in pug circles liked the 180 either, lol

i do keep banging on about at the wheel figures but they are much more accurate/better way of telling true power compared to flywheel results

to be fair to the pug GTI 180, i had a "play" once with one and couldn't pull away, maybe it was modfied but it didn't look it (old, standard 172 for the record)

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
The ATW figure is about bang on mate yes, maybe a tad low but the losses they use to cal the fly are too high.

The 197's all mapped now, good results to say the least but i'll let Kev do the rest :)

Renaultsport Clio 197
i'm waiting for the results both here and on clio197.net lol

paul, did he go with CAT CAMS 5504401 ?

TTRS & V50
All rollers are different, RR as are only useful for before and after figures. it is well known that pauls rollers do read lower than most others.

Hit nail on tut head.

Hate this argue'ments. Mine is blah blah and its had so and so, but my standard one have more horse's.

Like Bazzon said, its only good for comparisons tbh.

Renaultsport Clio 197
ah I see...
someone told me that I should go for the 401 as they're 'very similar to stock cams' ...

So he just changed the cams, all other parts are OEM?
Idle is normal, power low down ?

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Although sticking with DD can usually provide repeatable numbers, a car that dyno'd at sanspeed one month came to a dyno day at mine and made the same WHP and within 1hp calc fly!

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
ah I see...
someone told me that I should go for the 401 as they're 'very similar to stock cams' ...

So he just changed the cams, all other parts are OEM?
Idle is normal, power low down ?

These could be 401's, not sur what spec cat are doing yet but they are the more mild ones i think.

When we dyno'd it with no mapping they made not much more than stock and interestingly made some extra torque low down which is rare for most cams.

Mapping found some horses though :)

Paul

RS 182
Hit nail on tut head.

Hate this argue'ments. Mine is blah blah and its had so and so, but my standard one have more horse's.

Like Bazzon said, its only good for comparisons tbh.
Well the good thing with my case is that I can simply revert to my saved ECU .rst file & get it RR'd again.

Does repeated RR-ing damage your car?

as paul said i'll let kev do the talking, its all good tho :)

and for my sins i get to strip everything out of it this weekend, bugger!

might have to pay u a visit for a map one day paul ;)

not yet mate, i had the 26R look before the 26R lol, only got all my stuff back in because the cars due some work in the next few weeks but ran it bare all last year

stripping kevs down this weekend ;)

172 5HED
Hello boys and Girls.

Matt, thanks for all your help with these, you have been very patient mate!!

Paul, you are a ledge mate!!! You certainly know your stuff, all I can say is, I would not go anywhere else! Hope your dad forgives me for all the hassle it caused fitting them haha!!

172 5HED
For those of you interested..... my cam phone is crap though so.. Oh, and I got the before figure wrong, sorry it was 184.9!!!

Red is before
Pink is cams on standard map
Green is mapped!!

rr.jpg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
not yet mate, i had the 26R look before the 26R lol, only got all my stuff back in because the cars due some work in the next few weeks but ran it bare all last year

stripping kevs down this weekend ;)

Lol! Maybe Reno got some spy-shots of your motor and thought "now there's an idea....."!

Possible commission payments need to be looked into! :cool:

D.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Hello boys and Girls.

Paul, you are a ledge mate!!! You certainly know your stuff, all I can say is, I would not go anywhere else! Hope your dad forgives me for all the hassle it caused fitting them haha!!

:D good drive home then i assume :D

Pleasure to map it mate.

Paul

Haha my pleasure mate and I'm not just saying that because I do a fair bit with Cat and happen to sell CatCams - credit must go to the Paul big time though, his calibration skills are what found the north of 200bhp figure.

I hope you realise you now have one of, if not the, most powerful 197 road car in the world.

It'd be quite a good giggle to chuck it on a Dastek/Sun rolling road and post the 210bhp+ figure that'd produce ;-)

A 15bhp gain from cams and a remap is a fantastic result on an already high specific output naturaly aspirated engine package. Whats even better is that your car still retains 99% type approval in terms of cold start, OBD2 diagnostic etc. in fact I'd suspect it'd still very nearly get through Euro 4!!!!

Oh and I'm loving the fact it's still making nigh on 200bhp at 7500RPM :)

Cheers
M

I hope you realise you now have one of, if not the, most powerful 197 road car in the world.

It'd be quite a good giggle to chuck it on a Dastek/Sun rolling road and post the 210bhp+ figure that'd produce ;-)

cue the arguements now with that statement!!!

i said exactly the same to kev, on a slack RR it will be 10 up, peoples faces at that hey!!!

cant get over 200bhp and (over the scale) RPM.... brilliant!

Hi, i have Clio 197 All standart, and my result on RR was 199,4 HP and 211NM of torque...

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2613/rollingroadmyyu1.jpg

According to that graph you've lost nearly 50PS i.e. 25% through the drivetrain. I'm sorry but thats just not possible. Based on your wheel figure of circa 152.5PS an approximate fly figure based on a 17% loss is 178.4bhp.

If anything I'd say that was low and you really should be seeing 181 - 186 bhp depending on how 'strong' your engine is.

Try a different rolling road!

Cheers
M

Renaultsport Clio 197
impressive results

should be even better with an ITG airbox and lots of bits and bobs removed

Congratulations on the fastest 197 here and beyond the rainbow ;)

Clio Sport 2.0 mk2
One thing that sounds not nice is the low power gains from cams. 15 bhp gain from cams is not a big deal if you can get 8 to 10 bhp gains from RS Tuner' s standard map and even more with a custom one. So why take the hassle and go for a more difficult and more expensive path.

A nice decat, widened exhaust pipes, a good located cold air intake and properly matched inlets will already give you almost 30 bhp!

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
One thing that sounds not nice is the low power gains from cams. 15 bhp gain from cams is not a big deal if you can get 8 to 10 bhp gains from RS Tuner' s standard map and even more with a custom one. So why take the hassle and go for a more difficult and more expensive path.

A nice decat, widened exhaust pipes, a good located cold air intake and properly matched inlets will already give you almost 30 bhp!

In dream land maybe....