ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rs200 Polished inlet manifold

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Hi,

With a week off coming up, I am feeling the need for some engine bay bling. As you do.

I got the inspiration from glenn-adam-dobble's project thread, as he has just done his. As he's a lovely bloke, he was kind enough to tell me ow it was he did it, as I had no clue before.

Now, he said he used a Black and Decker Mouse (auto-sander thing) to flat it out to start with. I don't own one of those, and they're about £30.00 so would rather not own one..

How long would you guesstimate it would take me to do this by hand? Working from say 800 grit up to 2500 wet n dry?

He said he then used a metal polish, autosol. Again I dont own this, ut I do have Auto Finesse Mercury. Same thing?

Once completed, if I manage it, how would you protect it from going crappy again? Or is it just long regular maintenance?

Thanks!!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Ry it will take you ages and you wont have any skin left on your handies! :(

Thought this may be the case. May invest in a machine sander. If not Im sure my Dad/Grandad will have one somewhere I could borrow. Wll have to work out how to get the bloody thing off first though lol

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Cheers ry, you will defiantly need a mechanical aid, I started off by hand at first and it would of took me a week to get somewhere close to flat, the inlets are a lot tougher than you think

Looks like I'll be investing in a sander then haha! I would have PM'd you back and ask but I didn't want to bug you :eek:

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Wehey, someone at work is lending me a machine sander, meaning I don't have to buy one. Just need to sort out the sand paper and polishes and I'm ready to go :)

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I did my 172 one by hand, *after* sandblasting it.
it took approx. 17 hours, never again by hand!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
don't do it, it's a terrible idea, all you will achieve is holding heat in the manifold which ultimately will effect power in a negative way. Polished engine parts get so hot you can't go near them

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
don't do it, it's a terrible idea, all you will achieve is holding heat in the manifold which ultimately will effect power in a negative way. Polished engine parts get so hot you can't go near them

Now this I didn't know? I only want it to look pretty, and it's something I can do myself to keep my busy. Would you say it's safer to send it away to get powder coated or something similar?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
PAY TO GET IT DONE !!! polishing by hand is a REAL pia (was on my 172 !!! )

Pro polish is MUCH better result :D

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I wouldn't bother doing it IMO. Doesn't look better and it a ball ache to do

Clio 3 TCE
Use an angle grinder with a wire wheel, then finish it off with a dremel style gizmo, £30 pounds total. And re-useable for anything else you may have as well. This is how I did my mini hubs.