ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RSTuner - Is it worth the money for a standard car?

Clio 182 FF
Hi Guys and Girls,

I've been reading into the RSTuner as all I see is good reviews and customer service seems pretty awesome. Would it be worth me mapping it with the RSTuner currently I'm putting Vpower 98RON in anyways but car is totally standard (182 full fat) was just wondering what its like MPG wise (I heard its better?) and does it smooth out the dead spot around 4k?

Cheers,

Kurt

Clio 182 FF
Just trying to imagine that then him getting out! lol

Did you see better MPG? Don't really drive it hard 90% of the time even though its nice to let it rev sometimes :)

Cheers

I have the SERV light on but no other lights and my usual code reader cannot see a fault code - will RS Tuner detect it?

Clio 182 FF
I'm getting 37-38MPG atm but varies quite a bit depending on weather and stuff can be as low as 34mpg when driving normally 70mph on duals, 35 on town roads in 5th. Would i see an improvement?

Also whats the cold running like? for example i pull away in 1st quite slow then I try and get the revs above 2k to shift up to 2nd and it seems to not want to rev past 2k :S

Gonna be keeping car pretty standard as its much much better than my old VTR ha.

Cheers guys :)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I did it to my std (apart from catback exhaust) cup and it's not a 'rip your face off' difference, but definitely noticeable, especially on the motorway and general driveability. Revs much more smoothly and good mpg on super unleaded. Oh did I mention I'm selling mine :)

Clio 182 FF
Yeah I dont expect a massive difference but it would be nice to have it smoother and lower down torque. How much you selling yours for Danith? Got linky to for sale thread?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
You will definitely notice the difference. The best way to describe it is that it's how Renault should've sold the car in the first place. Picks up much better with the improved torque (I noticed it most on the motorway overtaking with no effort to change gear at all, just a quick blip and done). Just so much smoother and nicer to drive. That bit in the brackets sounds a bit gay, but it's hard to explain!

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?643352-RS-Tuner-%A390

Clio 182 FF
Got it all done yesterday! Awesome map. Improves everything by quite a bit! deffinately feels quicker now :)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Same here, only use super now - but the mpg with it isn't bad so sort of works out. Especially when the petrol station near me sells super @ £1.34 a litre! (97 RON though unfortunately so maybe not so 'super')

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Dead easy mate. It baffled me too, you don't need to care about the old/new version if you just want a diagnostic tool or to upload the 98 RON map.
Think the new one just does airbag module and pops and bangs map - which cost extra anyway.
Defo worth doing, keep an eye out for a cheap old one. I just sold mine for £85, not that it matters if you're going to sell it on after the map though.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
You just need patience to get the proper maps off Henk. I wouldn't risk using other people's maps you get off here as it's just not worth the risk for £20 but have been told in 90% of times it's been ok - I CBA risking it tho. You need to connect to your car, send a screenshot off, erase any fault codes you might have, play around with the live data and feel like Vin Diesel in Fast and Furious, buy a licence, wait for it, lock your ecu with the new licence to the RST, then send off another screenshot (I think) and buy a map, wait for it, download it, drive your car and feel the improvement, unplug it and flog it!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Lumpy idle is all part of the charm. You don't want everything to work and be intrinsically boring like a VAG! ;) But yeah sorts that out to, idles a tiny bit higher which sounds/feels better, still a tiny bit lumpy tho.

Arctic 182, GTD
I've just been reading and sorry for the stupid question if I haven't got this right, so u simply buy the unit off the website with the maps already set it, plug it in and go? Or not? Lol

Clio 182 FF
I went on the website the other day and it was around £235 for the RS182 and then I had to chose the 182 as a calibration, so it was coming out as over £430. Is that not correct?

Here: http://www.rstuning.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=131&products_id=196

I'm not sure what the calibration would achieve, but I selected it nevertheless for the total price.

Thats RStuning. You need to buy it from www.fastchip.nl You buy the unit then the map seperately off Henk takes about a day and he normally sends it in the very early hours.