ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RSTuner - Is it worth the money for a standard car?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Guys, quick query - what's this pops and bangs map all about? I understand the concept in principle (having owned two 400bhp Impreza's I also know the sound), but once it's mapped to perform in this way, is it an easy switch back to normal? Or is it once it's done it's permanent?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Interchangeable with the other maps.

Cheers buddy. Am I right in thinking though that you pay separately for the maps, so you'd need one for pops and bangs and another for normal (or improved performance minus the pops and bangs)?

On that basis, you get up and decide you'd like pops and bangs on a Wednesday, but when you drive on Thursday, you'd like just a normal map, so simply change over.

Yes you pay seperately for the maps, normal performance map is "STG Ron 98 "and the pops and bangs is "STGOR Ron 98" all availible from the fastchip website.

Yep you can change over when ever you like only takes around 5mins to swap maps over .Decat is needed for the overun unless you want to burn the cat out.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah you'd have to buy the separate maps, but you could load any map you liked into the ecu every morning.

I once spent a day trying out different maps on one of the many empty DC near my house,
parked up in ECPs car park which was on a DC between two roundabouts,
went though a few variations of RST & Cal files before I found the ones that felt the quickest.

But that was back when you could download any of them for free.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
So there's no Jailbreak option on the tuner then? ;)

Cheers guys. Good info. Roughly how much are the maps, out of interest?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Neato. Cheers again guys. So around £140+ for the Tuner, then the maps on top.

Cool.

Or buy new for around £220 with the latest firmware which is needed for pops 'n' bangs map.

For the above price it includes (don't hold me to it as it may have changed)

The rstuner module with cables and a disc with a vast selection of maps on.

or if you go second hand you need to have firmware 1.87 or higher to support the pops 'n' bangs map.

There is loads of other add ons you can buy for them like ABS software,airbag software etc ideal for removing MIL's when changing steering wheels etc...

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Or buy new for around £220 with the latest firmware which is needed for pops 'n' bangs map.

For the above price it includes (don't hold me to it as it may have changed)

The rstuner module with cables and a disc with a vast selection of maps on.

or if you go second hand you need to have firmware 1.87 or higher to support the pops 'n' bangs map.

There is loads of other add ons you can buy for them like ABS software,airbag software etc ideal for removing MIL's when changing steering wheels etc...

So for the £220 it comes all prep'd and ready to go?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I've had mine mapped with the RST for years now, I put it back on the standard OEM map once just to see what it was like.

Put it back to 'normal' after about 3 minutes of driving, felt broken! :dapprove:

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Just emailed HENK. About the rs tuner hope to hear from him soon.

How simple are the maps to be uploaded?

Easy, there's a icon called write ecu and & one called write cal, click on them and it does it for you.

Just make sure you copy your OEM map before you do anything, that way it can go back to standard if you wish.
(There's an icon for copy ecu aswell)

It all becomes self explanatory when you download and open the Fastchip OS.

Inferno 225 cup
Easy, there's a icon called write ecu and & one called write cal, click on them and it does it for you.

Just make sure you copy your OEM map before you do anything, that way it can go back to standard if you wish.
(There's an icon for copy ecu aswell)

It all becomes self explanatory when you download and open the Fastchip OS.

Thank you very much

172 Exclusive,
Here's an idea and a chance for someone to cover thier cost of equipment & map(s)

If someone is willing to hire-out their equipment for say £15+P&P both ways, it could work out cheaper still, for all involved.

Just a thought.

SQ5
The RSTuner locks to the ECU so you need an unlock code to then use it to remap another car.

There are a couple people on here with the maps to save you all paying for them. They used to all be free then Henk started charging.

SQ5
You can use for cams easy enough but ITB's would be hard. It can be done with lot of work (search for Russ_16v) but a live map would be a lot better than a flash map.

Clio 182 Trophy
emailed Henk, for anyone interested if you buy the RSTuner brand new you it includes the stage 1, 98 RON map and you dont need the license.

So works out roughly £180ish.